Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are any of you gym owners? Looking to open my own...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are any of you gym owners? Looking to open my own...

I've been in a specific non fitness industry my whole life. I have a few acquaintances that are by no means pillars of fitness physically and they have opened a gym that is making money and now looking into a second. Fitness and the gym is my passion and I'm thinking to peruse it. I don't know much about the business side of the industry and would love to get feed back or to speak to someone that has a successful business. Any comment or direct messages welcome.

Have you owned a business before? If not, learn that first. Everything I have heard is that 95% of having a successful business is understanding the operational and financial side of things. You may be the greatest fitness expert or the greatest chef of whatever, but without having the business and operations side under your belt, the odds will be against you.

Comment

Originally posted by jewboy1977 View Post
      I've been in a specific non fitness industry my whole life. I have a few acquaintances that are by no means pillars of fitness physically and they have opened a gym that is making money and now looking into a second. Fitness and the gym is my passion and I'm thinking to peruse it. I don't know much about the business side of the industry and would love to get feed back or to speak to someone that has a successful business. Any comment or direct messages welcome.
      on top of what scrum said which is first and foremost. it will have to be the only thing in your life for a long time. 24/7 dedication if you want it to be successful which I assume you do. i knew a guy back in jersey that owned a small gym for years and then expanded into a huge facility which is still there so I would call that a success. ironically though, he went from being in amazing shape to being a bit of a fat ass. not saying that has to happen to anyone, just making the point that it took up so much of his time and effort that sometime along the way he lost the love of the gym because he was there all day. that's obviously just him but it's something to think about.

i'm not trying to talk you out of it but i think you need to seriously ask yourself a few questions. are you ready to spend every waking hour for the first few years at least getting this thing running like a well oiled machine? are you ready to spend a ton of money/take out loans and not turn a profit for at least a few years if need be? if the answer is even a slight "no" to those questions you should forget it right now. get it out of your head that "you know some people making money in the industry." that may be true but you can't go into it thinking your results will be exactly the same. instead go into it knowing you will have to dedicate your life for years for it to be successful. if you know that and your willing to crush it then I say jump into it head first brother because it will be a success!

you already know this but I'll say it anyway. it's just like working out and diet. if you half ass it and you're lazy you will have half assed results. if you take it seriously and you make it a lifestyle you will have the results that reflect that lifestyle. kill it brother!

Comment

I appreciate the feedback. First off I've had my own small business so I understand the basic's of business and operations. I've also worked as an executive for a major fashion brand... I'm well aware of the sacrifices that need to be made, having a business is not a separate entity, it is your identity and your life. I'm well aware that most businesses struggle to profit in the beginning and recouping the investment is a long road. I have a pretty clear vision of what this will be and what I want it to look like, so those details are something you must prepare for. My post was more towards the industry specific nature of the the gym business. Basic do's and don'ts that only someone who has been in the gym business has a understanding of.

I guess I should have asked if there are gym owners on the board that would let me pick there brain.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X