Gym In Cali Reopens Defying Orders From The Governor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gym In Cali Reopens Defying Orders From The Governor

Only a matter of time before the police shut him down I imagine.

VICTORVILLE — As San Bernardino County remains under stay-at-home orders to slow the coronavirus’ spread, one local gym owner opened his doors Friday, a move that has drawn both praise and criticism.

Jacob Lewis said on social media Friday that his business, The Gym HD, would be open despite public health orders mandating gyms remain closed. Lewis said he would take “full responsibility” for the decision.

Lewis opted to open the fitness establishment after he said he received hundreds of emails and texts from people in the community — some veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome — who “truly LIVE to go to The Gym.”

“This brought me to a moment in my life where I realized I was being a B****!! By letting down the people that matter most to our community!!” he wrote on Instagram and Facebook. “By not providing a service that helps them get through all the bull s***! And gives them hope, strength, and health.”

Lewis’ decision to reopen would be in violation of the county’s health order, county spokesperson David Wert said.

The order, which has been in effect since March and mirrors a statewide order, closed businesses considered non-essential, including gyms, bars, nightclubs and hair salons.

Victorville spokesperson Sue Jones said city officials were “appalled by The Gym’s egregious violation” of the county’s public health order.

City Code Enforcement officials issued a notice of the order’s violation to the gym. Lewis has three days to comply with it, according to Jones. If the gym remains open, the notice would “escalate the situation to a citation and further,” she said.

According to Jones, more than 725 non-essential businesses in the city are in compliance.

Multiple attempts to contact Lewis for comment were unsuccessful Friday.

Gov. Gavin Newsom issued the statewide order to stem the spread of COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus, which had infected nearly 52,000 people and killed 2,113 in California as of Friday afternoon, according to Johns Hopkins University data.

Lewis argued in the posts that gyms should be considered essential because they are ”‘essential’ to people’s mental and physical health.”

Gym member Beatriz Lopez agreed and said some people “use the gym as their therapy.”

Others condemned the reopening, however, saying it was irresponsible considering public health experts have said reopening too soon could lead to a greater number of cases and deaths.

Confirmed cases in San Bernardino County rose to more than 2,100 on Friday with 94 deaths, a day after the second-highest daily total of positive cases was reported.

One Instagram user, who identified themselves as a medical professional, expressed concern in the comments of Lewis’ Instagram post.

“Im a nurse. A nurse that works with covid patients,” the user said. “I’m not only looking at the numbers, I’m treating the numbers.”

In response, The Gym’s official account replied: “only thing you nurse is. Deeezzz nuts!!”

The comment section for the Instagram post was later missing.

Earlier this week, Newsom released a four-stage plan for modifying the shelter-in-place orders, which he said could be “weeks, not months” away.

Six indicators that have been lacking so far would have to be met, including more testing and contact tracing ability, a better surge capacity for hospitals and health systems and the ability of businesses, schools and childcare facilities to support physical distancing.

Hospitalizations and the number of COVID-19 patients being treated in intensive care units would also have to stabilize.

Gyms and other areas seen as high-risk would be reopened only as part of stage three and with social distancing guidelines in place.

According to The Gym HD’s posts, members had to sign a consent form before using gym equipment. The content of the waiver form was unknown Friday, as attempts to reach gym officials were unsuccessful.

Social media posts showed several people in the gym working out without face masks which have been required in public settings according to the county’s order.

https://www.vvdailypress.com/news/20...virus-pandemic

Not sure who's worse - this idiot or the dummies working out in his gym. No masks. I bet they don't have gloves either.

Comment

Working...
    X