Suicides In The Bodybuilding/Fitness Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicides In The Bodybuilding/Fitness Community

I'm seeing more and more stuff like this recently. First we had Luke and now a 23 year old figure competitor.

I think we underestimate just how large a role the gym plays for us as a therapy from everyday life.

Very sad.

-----------------------------------

Mikayla Ann Kingman, 23, of East Bridgewater, MA, passed away unexpectedly Sunday, May 10, 2020. She was born October 1, 1996 in Brockton, MA.

Mikayla was an inspiration to all, her smile would light up a room. She was an all-star athlete all throughout high school and a champion in bodybuilding. Placing 1st in 3 categories and overall champion for 2 categories in the NPC Jay Cutler Classic. Mikayla loved spending time at the beach and watching sunsets, she loved her s’mores. She was dedicated to spreading the message of motivation. Little Mikey will never be forgotten

A Celebration of Life will be held at a later date in Massachusetts. No services will be held in Florida.

That’s sad. Way too young to die.

Comment

Ok guys I don’t post that much these days, I do what I want but I’m gonna chime in and you can make of this what works for you.

I have always thought that bodybuilding used to be in charge of me and not the other way around. It is also based on a negative emotion primarily...insecurity and a feeling of being inadequate and never good enough. Mix that with PED's and you have a recipe for depression and all that comes along with that.

My attitude to training now is that it should be fun, challenging and cover all areas of fitness. Weightlifting and some cardio combined and removing many of the drugs I used to take have given me a better mindset.

This means that all my emotions and thoughts are truly my own and not influenced by exteranl factors.

I think we are all on a journey that we hope will ultimately lead to inner peace and exercise is crucial to that for me along with travel and experience. That is my recipe for happiness and i can truly say it works for me.

I hope everyone on here is coping well with life at the moment and truly loving themselves.

Comment

Bodybuilding should always been a means to an end, a component of one's life that gives one a sense of fulfilment. Just like one's job, hobbies, family, faith, etc. When it starts taking over a larger role than that in one's life, when it leads one down unhealthy and obsessive paths, that's when it becomes detrimental.

Comment

Well said guys.

Mr I, I agree a lot of this life stems from insecurities. What the gym does for me mentally is drastic. I'm a different person.

I'm by no means suicidal but I certainly feel like shit. Mind is foggy and feel like I'm a ball of stress. Going for walks at the park and all that does not replace the gym at all. There is something specific about weights that just makes my brain fire on all cylinders.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X