Joe rogan sign 100million dollar deal with Spotify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe rogan sign 100million dollar deal with Spotify

Joe Rogan, the brash comedian turned hugely popular podcast host, is moving to Spotify.
    Mr. Rogan announced the deal on Instagram, telling his 9.5 million followers that the podcast would move to Spotify on Sept. 1, in an agreement that further cements Spotify’s evolution from a music streaming service to a behemoth purveyor of all kinds of online audio.
    The company did not disclose the financial details of the agreement to license the podcast, “The Joe Rogan Experience.” But The Wall Street Journal, citing an anonymous source, reported it could be worth more than $100 million based on the podcast’s performance metrics and other factors.

Grey Munford, a spokesman for Spotify, declined to comment on the figure cited by the newspaper.
    Mr. Rogan stressed repeatedly on social media that the deal would not change the nature of his show or make him an employee of Spotify.

“They want me to just continue doing it the way I’m doing it right now,” he said. “It’s just a licensing deal, so Spotify won’t have any creative control over the show.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In a video announcement on Facebook he clarified that he would not be an employee of Spotify.
    “It will be the exact same show,” he said. “We’re going to be working with the same crew doing the exact same show.”
    In a statement, Spotify described the agreement as a “multiyear exclusive licensing deal” that would make the podcast free for all of the platform’s 286 million users.

Mr. Rogan said clips of the show would still be available on YouTube, where the show currently streams and attracts millions of weekly viewers. But later in the year, full episodes will stream exclusively on Spotify.
    The agreement was the latest in a string of deals announced by Spotify, which earlier this year bought The Ringer, the website and podcast network started by Bill Simmons, which has more than 30 podcasts including “The Bill Simmons Podcast” and “The Rewatchables.” That announcement came a year after Spotify bought Gimlet Media, a podcast publisher responsible for shows like “Reply All” and “Homecoming.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The deal with Mr. Rogan is comparable to the kind struck between athletic brands and sports stars, said Stephanie Liu, an analyst with the research firm Forrester. “This is part of Spotify’s bigger bet on podcasts,” she said. “Spotify is buying not only Joe Rogan’s extensive and future content library, but also his loyal audience.”
    The deal gives Spotify the opportunity to profit from Mr. Rogan’s enormous audience by giving another lure to advertisers, Ms. Liu said, “or, better yet, convert them to Spotify Premium subscribers.”
    She added that the deal suggests Spotify is looking to compete more directly with YouTube. “The exclusive deal for Rogan’s video and audio content suggests Spotify is placing a higher value on video than in previous years,” she said.
    In a statement about the deal with Mr. Rogan, the company said his podcast was already “the most-searched-for podcast on Spotify and is the leading show on practically every other podcasting platform.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Since Mr. Rogan’s podcast began in 2009, his long-format interviews, which are often laced with profanities and his unvarnished observations about the news, have gained a huge audience. He has presented himself as a counterweight to what he views as political correctness run amok, and has interviewed a wide range of public figures, including the entrepreneur Andrew Yang and Senator Bernie Sanders, whom Mr. Rogan endorsed early in the Democratic presidential primary this year.
    He has also drawn criticism for discussing conspiracy theories, making jokes that belittle transgender people and sharing his platform with far-right figures, such as Gavin McInnes, the founder of the Proud Boys, and Alex Jones, the “Infowars” founder who spread the false narrative that the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax and that the parents of the children killed were “crisis actors.”
    Mr. Rogan was also widely denounced for remarks he made in 2013, when he described going to a movie theater to see “Planet of the Apes” in a largely black neighborhood.
    “We walk into ‘Planet of the Apes.’ We walked into Africa,” he said on his podcast. “We walked in the door and there was no white people.”

ADVERTISEMENT

He acknowledged on the podcast that was a “racist thing for me to say,” but added, “It wasn’t a negative experience.”
    He later complained on the show about the blowback he received on Twitter. “Listen, man, I am saying it was a positive experience,” he said.
    Mr. Rogan has shrugged off criticism that he peddles in conspiracy theories. “I go back and forth with conspiracies. I have a love-hate relationship with conspiracies,” he said last year on his podcast.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Spotify stocks went up 17% in 2 days since this announcement.
    Went from 30billion market cap to 35billion also since the announcement.
    Good on Spotify and Joe.
    Fuck youtube demonitizing shit.
    Hopefully first guest is Dave Chappelle

Comment

https://youtu.be/juwY7pptSJI

Comment

yea that's influence right there. dude is a superstar.

Comment

It will die fast

Comment

Originally posted by Mr I View Post
            It will die fast

Comment

Originally posted by boricuarage79 View Post

fucken guy is miserable. lol

Comment

Working...