72% higher risk of heart failure after Covid Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72% higher risk of heart failure after Covid Recovery

Basically if you got sick from covid you're in trouble...

Researchers at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs compared rates of new cardiovascular problems in 153,760 individuals infected with the coronavirus before vaccines were available, 5.6 million people who did not catch the virus, and another 5.9 million people whose data was collected before the pandemic. An average of one year after their recovery from the acute phase of the infection, the COVID-19 survivors had a 63% higher risk for heart attack, a 69% higher risk for problematic irregular heart rhythm, a 52% higher risk of stroke, a 72% higher risk of heart failure, and a nearly three times higher risk of a potentially fatal blood clot in the lungs compared with the other two groups, according to a report published on Monday in Nature Medicine. The elevated risks among former COVID-19 patients were evident in young and old, Blacks and whites, males and females, people with and without diabetes and with and without kidney disease, as well as smokers and nonsmokers, said Ziyad Al-Aly of the VA St. Louis Health Care System and Washington University in St. Louis.

The risks were high even in people who had mild COVID-19 and did not need to be hospitalized for it, he noted in a Twitter thread. "It really spared no one," Al-Aly told Reuters. "People with COVID-19 should pay attention to their health and seek medical care if they experience symptoms like chest pain, chest pressure, palpitation, swelling in the legs, etc."

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sc...nt-2022-02-09/

We are finding more and more things about long COVID. This virus has significant and insidious long-term impacts on the body. It is best if people not get COVID in the first place and do everything under their control to avoid getting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
      We are finding more and more things about long COVID. This virus has significant and insidious long-term impacts on the body. It is best if people not get COVID in the first place and do everything under their control to avoid getting it.
      for the old, the sickly, and the out of shape I agree with what you're alluding to. get vaccinated. considering at least half of America fits into one of those categories we are in agreement.

where we differ is for the other half. the young and the healthy. people who have no health issues and have always taken care of themselves. you won't see many of these people getting sick at all. if we could see a picture of all the people who got really sick from covid I suspect you would be shocked at how few athletic types you see in those pictures...

I've been directly exposed to covid in a confined space for multiple days on 2 separate occasions. she had mild symptoms both times and I had none at all. she's vaccinated... i'm not.

but common sense doesn't fit into the covid conversation does it.. lol.

Comment

Working...
      X