Testing Body Fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Body Fat?

So last night i went to get my body fat tested for the first time ever.. So the trainer told me to take my shoes and socks off and stand on this scale..

Stats came out like this

174.8lbs
    13.2%BF

Now is this the right way to test it? The guy did it two times i guess to make sure he got the right reading.. My boy says those scales are inaccurate so is it right or what?

Totally inaccurate. The golden standard is underwater weighing, but the easiest, least inexpensive and for the most part, accurate is using standard body fat calipers.

Comment

Goddamnit.... how off is it?

Where do i get these calipers too?

Comment

just about anywhere with exercise equipment. or gnc has them too.

Comment

powernutrition.net has a good pair for cheap

Comment

just a tip: don't get a digital caliper, I got one and they are a waste of money. Just get a manuel caliper

Comment

going as soon as i get the chance and pick some up

Comment

here's a link It'll atleast show ya what your looking for

http://www.fitnessindustries.com/pro...item=2&mitem=5

Comment

Those scales are not made for people with a lot of muscle, they will take the weight of the muscle and add it in as fat.

When you get the calipers, read the instructions very carefully and pay attention to the angle (verticle or horizontal) that you need to be using for that pinch. Let the caliper rest on the pinched area for a few seconds before taking the reading. While you're still new at using them, take the same measurement a few times to make sure you're getting the same reading. You'll need help with some of the areas of testing, like on the back and arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddles
                    Those scales are not made for people with a lot of muscle, they will take the weight of the muscle and add it in as fat.

When you get the calipers, read the instructions very carefully and pay attention to the angle (verticle or horizontal) that you need to be using for that pinch. Let the caliper rest on the pinched area for a few seconds before taking the reading. While you're still new at using them, take the same measurement a few times to make sure you're getting the same reading. You'll need help with some of the areas of testing, like on the back and arm.
                    This sounds like it's kinda complicated...

Comment

it isn't it comes with instructions. you just do it a couple times so you get the same general reading and go with that.

Comment

You mean he just had you stand on a scale and it told you your b/f? I didn't even know they made those things. Are calapers the only thing you need to measure bf? I've never done it to myself, only had a trainer do it. Don't you need a scale and something to measure your height to calculate it?

Also, I heard the water displacement method gets thrown off the less b/f you have.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by psyko1
                          it isn't it comes with instructions. you just do it a couple times so you get the same general reading and go with that.
                          :agree: I was just trying to point out that you should really pay attention and be careful so you get a true reading, if you rush it you'll be off.

Chris, the bf scales will take your height, age, gender, etc. into consideration but again, they're made for people who don't train with an average amount of muscle. I used one last year when I was around 17%bf and it calculated me at about 35% bf. Also, if you go to the dr. and are of decent size, you will be labeled as obese on your medical records based on your weight and height, they don't take bf% into account. That pisses me off!

As for the water test, I've never heard anything negative about it but I've never used it myself.

Comment

Yeah alot of those scales don't consider lean body mass, same as BMI, according to my BMI I am like a 28 which is considered obese which I am obviosly not. I've found the easiest way to test bf is with the calipers. You just need to make sure when you pinch to get a reading your not holding muscle, if there's nothin there to grab then there is nothin there.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddles
                              :agree:
                              Chris, the bf scales will take your height, age, gender, etc. into consideration but again, they're made for people who don't train with an average amount of muscle. I used one last year when I was around 17%bf and it calculated me at about 35% bf. Also, if you go to the dr. and are of decent size, you will be labeled as obese on your medical records based on your weight and height, they don't take bf% into account. That pisses me off!

:rofl:

Puddles, if you're considered obese I think I'll start dating some fatties! It opens up a whole new realm of possibilities, lol. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X