SCAR on 9 year old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCAR on 9 year old.

My daughter was in an acccident and was burnt by hot water. It happened a month ago and she is twin and no feels inferior to the other twin. I have heard Cocoa butter is the best is there a better brand for her to use??? ANy info would be good

I also have a scar on my lower left side below my belly button, I use cocoa butter and Vitamin E oil. It makes the scar less noticeable. Good luck!

Comment

I have had some scar revision done in the past and according to the doctors coccoa butter and other creams have no medical evidence of reducing scaring. however, many still belive in them. they told me that the massaging is what will help(loosening of scar tissue) , not the cream itself.
      hope this helps

Comment

i think it's neutrogena that has this new scar-lessening bandage you can wear. it's basically the same thing platic surgeons give to their boob-job patients, but you can buy it over the counter.

Comment

mederma scar cream. you can get it at pharm. AVOID SUNLIGHT at all costs for the rest of the year!

Comment

Taking vitamin E and C internally will help promote healing. Externally, apply vit E a couple of times a day.

Mederma scar cream supposedly works very nicely but I haven't used it myself.

Comment

Mederma has worked for me in the past. It is a little expensive. I ran across a huge tube of it at Costco the other day...It would last about a year and was about half the cost oz. for oz. that a regular sized tube at the pharm. Good luck.

Comment

i have used mederma for one of my scars. I had hearth surgery a few times. N iam known to have the "zipper" going down my chest. Was very comfortable with it but when i heard of this and how it can help very much i tried it. Been doing it for a month and it has already took the purple out of the scar which results it being less noticble and less ugly haha. But as of making it go completely away im not sure. they told me to wait a few months atleast it could take even 8 months for it to go completely away. W/e

Comment

in the grand scheme of things, these things will speed up the process but it still just takes time. When a wound is finally covered over and no longer scabby it is only 5% healed, the sub-structure of the skin still has a long way to go to heal before the scar tissue dissipates. for now i would just work on pointing out your childs positive unique characteristics, or show her the lethal weapon movie where they're showing off scars : ) perhaps your child isn't fully recovered from the traumatic aspect of the accident as well, and the scar emotionally associates to the fear, regardless, continue to give them the nurturing they need!

Comment

I got 5 scars from being stabbed in the chest, I never worried about em, I reckon they look cool

Comment

Re: SCAR on 9 year old.

Originally posted by Charnte
                      My daughter was in an acccident and was burnt by hot water. It happened a month ago and she is twin and no feels inferior to the other twin. I have heard Cocoa butter is the best is there a better brand for her to use??? ANy info would be good
                      Making the scar less visible is all very well, as long as you're not teaching your daughter that its something to be ashamed of.... At 9 years old, that kind of insecurity could have a big impact on her adult life.

Comment

The best brand of cocoa butter is Palmers. Its actually made for pregnant women and stretch marks. Cheap as anything. Also vitamin E capsules massaged gently every night will help reduce the severity of the scar. If u keep using the cocoa butter morning and night it will gradually fade over time.

Good luck :)

Comment

Forgive me but these are somewhat odd answers to the question.

I assume this is a second degree burn or it would not be an issue.

Second degree burns permenently alter the skin. Hair follicles and sweat glands are lost. Collagen below the skin and the epidermis slowly recover and the color will fade but the new skin often looks smooth and glossy. Sun is to be avoided until mellenin returns to normal. The doctor should have told you this. The most effective treatment for burns is to cool the skin in the first thirty seconds after it happens. If there is any lumpiness in the healed skin it will have to be corrected by plastic surgery.

The childs view of this and her feelings are the most important thing. The whole extended family should show no pity towards her or remorse for the occurrence. These things will only lead to depression. Be strong, love her, and see no burn - and neither will she.

Comment

2nd degree burns don't leave scar tissur if taken care of with avoiding sunlight. I think your info is very misleading.

Comment

First degree burns affect some ammount of the epidermis.

Second degree burns affect some ammount of the dermis.

Third degree burns affect both layers of skin and the underlying tissue.

Since the skin is regenerated from the dermis and all glands and follicles are located in the dermis, by definition a second degree burn will leave some permenent damage. This certainly does not mean there will be an ugly scar unless perhaps a secondary infection ensues. There will however be some damage affecting the collegen or glands in the dermis. Initial healing may be around two weeks, but if the collagen layer is damaged it will take a year or even much more for the area to regain normal elasticity and color (depending on the depth of burn). Even after all healing is finished, the area may be devoid of sweat glands and hair.

I am not trying to be pessimistic.
                              Facts are facts.
                              It would be great news if the burn was only first degree, but such scalding burns usually leave some ammount of second degree burn.
                              Last edited by Gort; 08-30-04, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X