Working out when sick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working out when sick?

I feel I'm coming down with a pretty harsh cold. My girlfriend has it, and has had it for a week now. Should I skip training and get some rest? Or fight through? I heard that if you feel a cold/flu coming on to get as much rest as possible.

if the cold is in your chest, no workouts and lots of rest with fluids. If it is a sinus/head cold, reduce your workouts but still get lots of rest and lots of fluids.
    Chug vitamin C and they even say chicken soup really does help.

Comment

What are some good fluids besides water? Is that whole "sprite" myth true?

Comment

Green tea is good as an alternative to water. Sprite is all chemicals, I wouldn't bother with it. If you're not worried about the carbs, some orange juice is nice to have with the added vitamin C.

I'll train if I'm mildly sick as long as I don't have a fever or really bad congestion/coughing.

Your body does need rest to help fight a cold but just use common sense, if you feel like shit, you're not gonna train well so you may as well stay home but if it's just a minor cold, a little exercise will do ya good.

Comment

Sorry to jack this thread but I have another question. Should you do your next workout when still feeling sore from the previous, or is that "overtraining"? Sometimes, even though I have been working out for quite some time, it takes 3-4 days after a workout for the soreness to fully go; what I usually do is I carry on working out unless the soreness is really hampering my movements. Like the other day when I did legs, and i couldn't walk for 3-4 days after, thats a time when I dropped my schedule and stayed out of the gym.

Comment

I try to always strech a little more than usual if I'm lifting on a day I'm considerably sore. So try stretching for a good 10 minutes and go on to the workout, if you can't get proper form I'd discontinue. Just use your best judgement. (just my opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by Face
              Sorry to jack this thread but I have another question. Should you do your next workout when still feeling sore from the previous, or is that "overtraining"? Sometimes, even though I have been working out for quite some time, it takes 3-4 days after a workout for the soreness to fully go; what I usually do is I carry on working out unless the soreness is really hampering my movements. Like the other day when I did legs, and i couldn't walk for 3-4 days after, thats a time when I dropped my schedule and stayed out of the gym.

You should be able to work around any soreness. For example, if your legs are sore, do upper body workouts until your legs are okay again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
                You should be able to work around any soreness. For example, if your legs are sore, do upper body workouts until your legs are okay again.
                Well, its pretty hard to go from one machine to another if you can't walk :confused:

And I couldn't even stand at that time......

Comment

You're probably overtraining, or failed to adequately stretch your quads, hams, and calves.

Comment

Personally I think overtraining is sort of over used! I personally think that working out while sore helps to get over the soreness.

As for the original poster, I agree with everyone. Take it easier than usual and up the Vit. C!

Comment

I'm sick too and I want to work out sooo badly :/

Comment

Originally posted by Face
                        Well, its pretty hard to go from one machine to another if you can't walk :confused:

And I couldn't even stand at that time......
                        Having some soreness is fine, but training to the point where you litterally can't walk...something doesn't sound right unless it's your first time training that part in a long time and even with that, you gotta ease into training again. Sometimes your split can be changed around to help give certain muscle groups a break. When I train back I always feel it in my biceps on certain exercises so I combine back and bi's on the same day now. Tri's and chest will be on another day with a few days rest inbetween. I like to split legs into two seperate days, calves and shoulders is a good one and I can usually get abs in that day as well. Quads, glutes, hams...that workout itself is usually enough for one day for me.

Post up your split and let's see if we can tweak it a bit to help you. :)

Also, there are some supplements you can take to help with soreness and cramping. What vitamins and supplements are you taking so far?

Comment

Ok, thats quite easy:

5 sets squats (heavy)
                          2 sets leg extensions (heavy)

Then go home for a couple of hours and rest because I feel sick and dizzy..... Then come back and:

5 sets standing calf raises (heavy)

I only take cod liver oil and a multivitamin as supplements.

This workout has never given me a problem before, it was just on that one particular day, but I had come back after a 6 week break. And it has not given me a problem since either.

One contributing factor I think that weekend was also that I ran 20 mins the following day despite my calves being sore (but not as sore as they were the following day believe me!)

Comment

Getting sick is a good time to let your body just heal completely

Comment

ALSO, some people find cardio helps burn up the sickness

Comment

Working...
                              X