Oxsoralen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxsoralen?

Has anyone used this? My white-ass friend is looking into it...

I tired it, it sucked. I got burnt me even worse.

Comment

what is it?

Comment

aren't they tanning pills? i think they make your skin more sensitive to light, or something like that. i'm sure there's more to it than that; maybe somebody can add.

Comment

Actually they are not tanning pills at all. They are medicine to increase your melanin levels, they were designed for people who have areas of there body that have little melanin, the drug reacts with UV and raises the level of melanin across the whole body but most noticeably at the area the patient doesn't have a lot of melanin. So its not going to protect you and yes you will burn but if you have a need to darken your natural color it does that just fine as long as you are careful.

Comment

I was thinking... could one use this stuff to reverse greying hair, as in on one's head? Grey hair happens when the body slows down it's production of melanin. So why wouldnt it work ?

Comment

Longtimer, you're right! Oxsolaren is actually used in conjunction with UV tanning beds. The drug was/is meant for people who have skin conditions in which they have lossed or are losing Melanin. Most notably are those with Vitiligo (like me). I have it around my eyes and like little spots here and there on my body. Whenever I get some sun I look like I tan in a tanning bed -which I don't. I have even had grade school kids ask me if I wear make up -I don't. If you use Oxsolaren, you also increase your risk of getting melanoma later on depending how responsible you are about tanning in a bed. I personally don't have the money to spend on it bc I'm a broke-as-a-joke College STUDent. Anyway, just an FYI to those who try it and have no skin pigment probs, you run a higher risk with the longer the length of use. Ideally like what was said before you're natural defense kicks in and will adjust accordingly but the smart thing is to put on Sunblock w/ SPF 45+ and let your skin gradually change and hopefully not burn. Later people!

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix782
                Longtimer, you're right! Oxsolaren is actually used in conjunction with UV tanning beds. The drug was/is meant for people who have skin conditions in which they have lossed or are losing Melanin. Most notably are those with Vitiligo (like me). I have it around my eyes and like little spots here and there on my body. Whenever I get some sun I look like I tan in a tanning bed -which I don't. I have even had grade school kids ask me if I wear make up -I don't. If you use Oxsolaren, you also increase your risk of getting melanoma later on depending how responsible you are about tanning in a bed. I personally don't have the money to spend on it bc I'm a broke-as-a-joke College STUDent. Anyway, just an FYI to those who try it and have no skin pigment probs, you run a higher risk with the longer the length of use. Ideally like what was said before you're natural defense kicks in and will adjust accordingly but the smart thing is to put on Sunblock w/ SPF 45+ and let your skin gradually change and hopefully not burn. Later people!

Good info.

Comment

My husband is a redhead and he just does NOT tan at all... he burns and gets freckles..

Would taking that stuff help him out at all?

Comment

probly not, it's for people without pigment in their skin. So what it would probably do is make him freckle more or make darker freckles. Freckling is a natural response, but it's different with everyone. Some people who don't have fair skin and had parents who had fair skin tan well but they also get freckles. On the other hand people who have fair skin, since their melanocytes aren't used to the solar exposure that they are subjected to make freckles out of a defense. Your husband should gradually get used to the sun and tan if he a) lets his burns (if any) heal before going out again b) use an SPF 45-60 sunblock that's water proof and c) gradually increase sun exposure. Sometimes the best thing to in some cases is to fake bake over the winter and then you can normally stay outside and not worry. But it's different for everyone. If you go to a tanning place and there's a person who knows skin and what kind you have then it should be easy. But sometimes if there are inexperienced young people giving you advice then you might burn and have to wait a day or a few days before going back. The rule of thumb is You can't tan more than once in a 24hr period and if you have pink but it's gone the next day before you do then you CAN go again. If you'r a first timer definitely use a mild activator and also after everytime you tan moisturize your skin with some lotion or whatever. It happens a lot faster and you see better results faster if you keep your skin moisturized. On a final note if his doctor says it's ok for him then cool but as for what I know (which is a lot but not doctor level, I'm only a college STUDent lol!) I wouldn't try it and I believe the only way you can get the real stuff is through a dr. or dermatologist, but you can find stuff online but I still dunno about online stuff. However if you find something that works for your husband hey, post I'm interested! I mean I'm natural here bc I've never had the guts to go and find anyone who might have or sell gear much less trust anything online so...yeah. Until otherwise occurs that's where I'm at lol!!! if you need anymore info lemme know I might be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by meengrrl
                      My husband is a redhead and he just does NOT tan at all... he burns and gets freckles..

Would taking that stuff help him out at all?
                      It won't help him, believe me i know! LOL If he can't tan those pills won't help. It only burnt me even worse. There is no cure for the white redheads like me. lol

Comment

Working...
                      X