Muscle Growth/Rehabilitation after Injury/Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Growth/Rehabilitation after Injury/Surgery

My question(s) are pertaining to muscle atrophy after tearing an ACL after the surgery.

In November 2003, I tore my ACL. I got 3 opinions and decided to strengthen the muscles as one Orthopaedic Surgeon felt like my knee movement was good and tear was partial.

Immediately, over the next month or so, the quad on my injured leg atrophied by one inch. After 3 months or so, I was able to resume running w/no ill effects. Like a dumbass, thinking I could do what I wanted again I had another fall playing softball about 5 months later.

After this I decided to go ahead w/the surgery (July 2004). The surgeon could see a complete tear on my MRI that was taken after the initial incident, but he couldn't see that I had also torn my medial meniscus (MM) which most likely occurred after the second time. The ACL was an Achilles Tendon Allograft and the MM was a bucket handle tear that was trimmed and sutured back in place.

Due to the MM tear, I had to wear a leg immobilizer for 7 weeks. At this point, I was supposed to have started rehab, but I took a job in another state (Beginning of Oct) and never did the rehab other than isometrics and stretching at home.

Because I had to wear the immobilizer for so long, my leg atrophied even further to the point where the difference was about 1.5 inches between legs.

I never had any pain in the ACL area, but I had consistent pain in the MM area until the beginning of Dec. After that it has only occasionally flared up like when I've tried to do something like stairs.

At the beginning of Dec., I decided to hit the weights. My leg still shakes/quivers some when I do leg extensions, but other than that, I'm able to do Smith Machine squats and leg presses w/no problems. I do feel only a very mild discomfort in my hamstring tendons when doing lying leg curls.

I'm getting stronger (hopefully both legs), but the problem is that after 7 weeks the difference between both legs has grown to over 2 inches w/my injured leg getting smaller and my good leg getting larger. I believe the injured leg is getting smaller due to the loose skin and fat that was there prior to getting back to the weights.

So my questions are as follows:

Will my injured leg ever start catching up? Is it failing to grow right now because the muscles are still learning to fire properly?

Is there any risk with my legs not being symmetrical? Could it cause me to have an imbalance that could hurt my back or something?

Would it still be helpful to go through therapy? The simple strengthing BS that I went through b4 the surgery could be done by anyone on their own in a gym. If I do perform rehab, I'd like for it to be advanced/challenging and not a waste of time or money.

I've tried to find information pertaining to this, but I've only been able to find some standard rehab protocols that kind of begin from day 1. Any information or recomendations pertaining to my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thx...SOB
    Last edited by SonofBone; 01-31-05, 11:40 AM.

Re: Muscle Growth/Rehabilitation after Injury/Surgery

Originally posted by SonofBone
    So my questions are as follows:

Will my injured leg ever start catching up? Is it failing to grow right now because the muscles are still learning to fire properly?

Is there any risk with my legs not being symmetrical? Could it cause me to have an imbalance that could hurt my back or something?

Would it still be helpful to go through therapy? The simple strengthing BS that I went through b4 the surgery could be done by anyone on their own in a gym. If I do perform rehab, I'd like for it to be advanced/challenging and not a waste of time or money.

I've tried to find information pertaining to this, but I've only been able to find some standard rehab protocols that kind of begin from day 1. Any information or recomendations pertaining to my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thx...SOB
    Yes your injured leg will catch up if you give it a chance. Try lifting to maintain your good leg and then build up your injured leg. Could you have an imbalance that can make your back hurt? yes, as long as you favor one side over the other you will be puting unusual stress on your back trying to distrubute the weight. I wouldn't recomend go to a physicla therapist or the sorts for therapy. Anything they would be able to do, your leg should be beyond. The only thing they might be able to do is some stim to get the unreacting fibers to start firing, but again you are probably beyond that. The only therapy left, is rehabing the muscles, which is what your doing in the gym.

How is your flexibility in your knee?

Comment

It is good to hear your opinion, and I'm happy to hear that you don't recommend going to someone for rehab.

I'd say that the flexibility in my knee is good. I can fully extend it although when I do I have a little tightness. When I fold it, my heel can get w/in about 3 inches of where I'm able to place my other leg. Also, I feel a little pain when I reach the end point of the folding part.

I haven't tried to do any cutting or any other movements w/my knee other than extending/curling.

Also, I did try once in December to jog, but I shut that down after 1/4 of a mile as it didn't feel good at all. On Jan 8th, I ran for 2.3 miles in a little over 15 minutes. There was a slight discomfort especially in the beginning and one of my hips (I think my injured side) was sore the next day. I felt like I might be being a little too agressive, so I've only done the elliptical and stationary bike for cardio since then which has been 15 times. Walking/lifting/stationary&elliptical are all fine, but I'm still afraid that the running will be a little uncomfortable and I'm afraid I'll be limping ever so slightly during the run.

Comment

If I am counting right your about 6 months out from surgery. If you had the proper assistance in rehabing your knee (which I'm sure it didn't work out like that) you would coming right up on full use again. Seeing that things were set back, just keep working at it and know that your pretty close. The fact that you ran on it for 2.3 miles with only a slight discomfort is a great sign. Your body does have to get use to using it like that again. Just keep running conservatavly and increase as you feel comfortable. Before you try going straight into cutting, start running some figure eights. Set up some chairs in a gym or what ever, and then just run around them. This gets your laterall balance feeling more comfortable. Do it for about 2 weeks beyond where it feels like you could advance into cutting, then try some sprints. If you feel fine with the sudden stops and starts, go ahead and try cutting.

Comment

I had the same surgery done back in Nov. of '01! Try warming the ACL up using the elliptical then try jogging on it and see how that feels. I still have pain when I try to jog unless I warm it up first! Good luck!

Comment

Thx Shibby, I'll follow your advice at my body's own rate of progression.

Thx bad14u, I'll make sure I warm up on a nonimpact machine such as elliptical or bike b4 running.
            Last edited by SonofBone; 02-03-05, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Man I have this surger scheduled for a week from now...how long did it take people to get back lifting upper body weights?

Comment

SOB I don't agree with you running right now... and here is why, running whether on a treadmill, pavement or track is still a very hard impact on the joint ( very hard). Since you have not had time to properly rehabilitate your knee due to life circumstances I would strongly advise that you first try and get your leg back on par with of course strength exercises unilaterally ( each leg separate). With your leg not back to where it should be, u should remember that it will be the weaker link and if you push it with allot of high impact plus the addition of weights you may set yourself up for more problems. This is my opinion of course, but I have had knee surgery b4 and I understand the want to get back in it, however patience here is needed. Best of luck to ya

PD

Comment

Working...
                X