Teeth Whitening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeth Whitening

I've tried Crest White Strips in the past, and wasn't really impressed. I don't know if that's because I wasn't really consistent or what? Anyways, anyone else know of some cheap ways to whiten teeth?

mix baking soda with water

Comment

i used crest white strips a few years back for about 10 of the 14 days, didn't notice jack, and then 6 mos. later my teeth somehow became brilliantly white.

don't ask...

Comment

go on ebay and get some syringes of carbamide peroxide. it's what you can get at the dentist to whiten your teeth. Tastes like shit, but it really really works.

Comment

if you search on ebay you can get good deals.... i got a huge vial of the stuff of the stuff , 22% peroxide. Thats about as strong as you can get. I probalby wont have to buy more for a long time. my wife and i have both used it a few times and still have a lot left over.

Originally posted by Karde
          go on ebay and get some syringes of carbamide peroxide. it's what you can get at the dentist to whiten your teeth. Tastes like shit, but it really really works.

Comment

They have teeth whitening kits at universalkits.com

Comment

...and if you use those too much, I can get you a number for a dentist to get you dentures!

Comment

When I went on Ebay and noticed that they come with trays. Will the trays fit my teeth or do I need to get a customized tray from my dentist? I would imagine that costing a good amount of $$. Anyways, what percentage should I get 35% or 22%? Thanks, if anyone sees any good deals please post a link to the auction page.

Comment

Originally posted by BBAddict
                  ...and if you use those too much, I can get you a number for a dentist to get you dentures!
                  Why is that? Does it basically eat/thin the enamel off of your teeth while whitening the dentin?

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone
                    Why is that? Does it basically eat/thin the enamel off of your teeth while whitening the dentin?
                    Pretty much. Wears the enamel away. That's why many I know who have done it experience more sensitivity whenever they eat cold foods or liquids.

Comment

Yeah, all of those treatments wear away tooth material to some extent. It generally creates holes (porosity) in the enamel, which then would theoretically provide a starting point for cavities. The teeth are generally more sensitive because there is less of a shield from the dentin, which is the softer interior of the teeth. Demineralizing the enamel and any removal of that protective layer is not worth it in my opinion. We have actually run tests at the company I work for proving that the enamel loses about 25% of its hardness after a in-home whitening treatment.

My plan is to be such a freak that nobody even thinks of looking at my teeth!

Comment

you don't need customized trays, the ones on ebay are basically mouth guards that you mould to your teeth.

I experience sensitvity a day or so after I whiten, but no more than that really. This is the same stuff i got at my dentist when I had it profgessionally done. The dentist told me that there is no danger to the enamel, and info i find on the net seems to support his statements. You can get gum irritation if you leave it on the soft tissue though. I would like to read your study. Here is the ADA's position on the matter.

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/po...ts/whiten2.asp

Comment

I know that's the general position of professional dentists, but dental research scientists (I have seen and read presentations at the AADR and IADR conferences) have proven through many studies that ALL of the whitening products damage the enamel through demineralization.

99% of dentists do not, unfortunately, really understand the materials science that is behind the mechanics of teeth. That is the reason they do not understand the danger in recommending this. I can provide references if you want to read about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BBAddict
                            I know that's the general position of professional dentists, but dental research scientists (I have seen and read presentations at the AADR and IADR conferences) have proven through many studies that ALL of the whitening products damage the enamel through demineralization.

99% of dentists do not, unfortunately, really understand the materials science that is behind the mechanics of teeth. That is the reason they do not understand the danger in recommending this. I can provide references if you want to read about it.
                            Post the references bro - I would love to learn more...

Comment

Okay...so that goes for chemical whitening, but what about the laser whitening? I guess there is a chemical on your teeth when the use the light isn't there. Since it isn't on as long, could it be safer? I know that route is expensive as hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X