Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AH! i think i just gave myself a hernia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AH! i think i just gave myself a hernia!

i just got back from the gym and im sitting here wincing in pain. i just did my second 20 rep squat day in two weeks. i did 3 warm up sets, then went for the 20 reps. afterwards, as i sat there catching my breath and letting my heart slow down, i felt a slight stabbing pain in my lower abdomin, just left and below my naval. it wasnt a debilitating pain but it was still very noticable. well considering i spent about an hour getting pumped up for this workout i brilliantly decided to ignore the pain and brave out another 20 reps. i added 5 pounds and went for it. well the pain increased significantly. i staggared home like a drunken wreck stopping every 30 seconds or so, wincing in pain. the pain has subsided A LITTLE but it is still very constant. i get some relief from sticking my guy out as much as i can, but there are still occasional 'flashes' were the pain stabs me in the same spot. does anyone know enough about hernias or abdominal injuries to help me diagnose this? any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Does it hurt if you lay flat on your back? If not, try flexing your abs... Does that hurt?

Comment

http://www.medicinenet.com/hernia/page2.htm
      http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/13842-3.asp

Comment

[QUOTE=Shibby]Does it hurt if you lay flat on your back? If not, try flexing your abs... Does that hurt?[/QUOTE

both of the above increase the pain alot

Comment

thanks for the links slipshady. if the pain is still there tommorow, im going to go see a doctor, although i hate having my giblets poked at

Comment

It sounds like a pulled muscle to me.

Comment

ya, im starting to think so too. the pain is starting to subside a little bit, although that may just be from the 800 mills of ibprofen i took.

Comment

okay, so this is completely fucked- last night, the pain started growing again accompanied with a great deal of nausia. i did some more research online and discovered that nausia may be indicative of a strangulated hernia which can result in gangrene of the intestines in under 6 hours.the pain was absolutely immense so i started getting changed to go find an emergency room. i sat down for a minute before going and poof the pain 100% disapeared in an instant. not even the littlest bit of pain, even if i flexed my abs. im completely mind boggled

Comment

goddamn

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                    okay, so this is completely fucked- last night, the pain started growing again accompanied with a great deal of nausia. i did some more research online and discovered that nausia may be indicative of a strangulated hernia which can result in gangrene of the intestines in under 6 hours.the pain was absolutely immense so i started getting changed to go find an emergency room. i sat down for a minute before going and poof the pain 100% disapeared in an instant. not even the littlest bit of pain, even if i flexed my abs. im completely mind boggled
                    Go to the friggin' doctor already...

Comment

you could have a seriously swollen gland feels alot like a hernia

Comment

time for a doctor.

Comment

Don't mean to bump an old thread, but I had double inguinal hernia repair a few years ago. My doctor told me that inguinal hernias occur in your lower abdomen and don't necessarily mean that anything is "broken" so to speak. Your abdomen wall has two layers. When your born you have a hole in both layers where your testicles drop through. As you grow older and bigger, the holes in your abdomen wall grow apart. There are tendons that close across the holes to keep your intestines in but if they're deformed they won't work properly and therefore need a little help. That's when they cut you open and sew a screen across the hole. I can do just about anything I want now, I just have to know my limits.

Here's my theory about what happened. I never had a strangulated bowel, but (this might be disgusting) my intestines would kind of poke out frequently and I could push them back in again. Sorry, I had to give an example. Sometimes it was harder to push back in than others and it would really hurt if I wasn't careful. I would say that since you were squatting, your intestines probably started to poke through just a little, which could hurt quite a bit, and eventually just went back in. That's just my opinion based on my experience. Hope it doesn't happen again because hernias really suck.

Comment

thanks for the reply. im pretty sure it was just a stressed muscle. i never went to a doctor but i got a better lifting belt and use it often and everythings been under control ever sinse.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                              i just got back from the gym and im sitting here wincing in pain. i just did my second 20 rep squat day in two weeks. i did 3 warm up sets, then went for the 20 reps. afterwards, as i sat there catching my breath and letting my heart slow down, i felt a slight stabbing pain in my lower abdomin, just left and below my naval. it wasnt a debilitating pain but it was still very noticable. well considering i spent about an hour getting pumped up for this workout i brilliantly decided to ignore the pain and brave out another 20 reps. i added 5 pounds and went for it. well the pain increased significantly. i staggared home like a drunken wreck stopping every 30 seconds or so, wincing in pain. the pain has subsided A LITTLE but it is still very constant. i get some relief from sticking my guy out as much as i can, but there are still occasional 'flashes' were the pain stabs me in the same spot. does anyone know enough about hernias or abdominal injuries to help me diagnose this? any help would be GREATLY appreciated

sounds bad..this get better for you?

Comment

Working...
                              X