Protein in urine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein in urine

MY workout partner is nervous because his doctor found protein in his urine. THey are sending him for tests. I told him it could be nothing. Working out to the max, and taking in large amounts of protein can cause it to be excreted in his urine. AM i right here?

MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Protein - urine

Comment

Yes, a diet high in protein, particularly the highly protein-supplemented diets that bodybuilders tend to use can cause protein to be found in urine. However, I don't think this is normal by any means.

Protein molecules are normally too large to get through the glomeruli, the cells that perform the filtering in the kidneys. The fact that they are getting through means that the high protein diet is overwhelming the kidneys and cannot be healthy for the kidneys. It could also be a symptom of renal disease, which is why your friend's doctor is sending him for more tests.

One has to wonder what the high protein bodybuilding diets are doing to one's kidneys. I would take this very seriously. At the very least, your friend should be upfront with his doctor on details of his diet - I suspect the doctor would recommend immediate changes.
      Last edited by Scrumhalf; 02-20-08, 08:20 AM. Reason: fix typo

Comment

No.
        He should be concerned.

Comment

I remember when Bouncer was seeing bubbles in his urine and freaked out about this topic. Well, in the past month I've been seeing them more often as well & I've been upping my protein intake. Man, that is a scary list of causes. Also, throw in the fact that my high blood pressure in the past was believed to be due to a narrowing of the renal artery and most protein in the urine looks as if it is related to your kidneys.

I've been wanting to see an Internist for like a month. I just have to wait till my wife's policy sends me the damn insurance card.

Comment

very very small amounts are ok but if he is at the point where his doctors are sending him for tests that is not good. dont tell him this, just let him go for the tests and get it taken care of.
            Last edited by Bouncer; 02-20-08, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone View Post
              I remember when Bouncer was seeing bubbles in his urine and freaked out about this topic.
              yea, i went in and got blood work and urine test done. everything was normal. i guess in my case, my pee just likes to bubble. lol

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone View Post
                I remember when Bouncer was seeing bubbles in his urine .
                probably sic dic:rofl:

Comment

I've had protien my urine before and the docs just said do you eat alot of protien, when I confirmed, they were like, ok fine then

Comment

He should be very concerned about the recent findings. Not that he should be freaking out but it does warrant some concern. Diabetes is a very real concern when there is protein in the urine. It is the same mechanism as described by schrumhalf. But it is not an overwhelming of the kidneys but actual damage to the glomeruli. Make sure he knows there are some concerns that he needs to follow up on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
                      I've had protien my urine before and the docs just said do you eat alot of protien, when I confirmed, they were like, ok fine then
                      thats really not right. protein in the urine is not a good thing. it means your kidneys are not properly filtering.

Comment

He should be checked for microalbuminuria. This is a test for even very very small amounts of protein in the urine. Some is really not ok. If the GFR, glomerular filtration rate, is too low he will start to hold water and salts. Later if left untreated, he will end up with full on renal failure and be forced to use dialysis for the rest of his life. He should act now and try to prevent or rule out (hopefully) the worst case scenario. Just my two cents.

Comment

I am not telling him anything else. He is getting tests done soon. He has no other symptoms that I know of. No lower back pain. Though, he does use the bathroom quite often it seems. But i guess the tests will tell

Comment

as for the diabetes, that was one of the first things they tested for. art of the reason he went in to begin with. he always felt thirsty. he says he drinks close to 3 gallons of water a day

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysgrowing View Post
                              as for the diabetes, that was one of the first things they tested for. art of the reason he went in to begin with. he always felt thirsty. he says he drinks close to 3 gallons of water a day
                              DAMN

Comment

Working...
                              X