Reduced Risk of Brain Cancer Mortality from Walking and Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduced Risk of Brain Cancer Mortality from Walking and Running

Reduced Risk of Brain Cancer Mortality from Walking and Runn... : Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise

Interesting research... key section:

In vitro studies suggest a role of the insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) signaling pathway in glioma proliferation and progression, where overexpression of IGF-1 receptors in glioma cells correlates with histopathologic grade and proliferation index, and the disruption of the IGF-1 pathway causes tumor regression. Different physical activities appear to affect IGF-1 differently, which may also explain the significant reduction in brain cancer mortality risk with running and walking (reported here), but not total activity (used by other studies). Running and walking are endurance-type exercises. Resting IGF-I concentrations decrease after short-term endurance training (25) and increase after short-term resistance training. Running and walking might also reduce glioma risk by reducing the amount of bioavailable IGF-1. Endurance exercise training is reported to increase basal IGFBP-1 concentrations, an important inhibitor of IGF-I bioactivity, while decreasing free and total IGF-I concentrations.
Working...
X