Coffee Greatly Reduces Risk Of Getting Skin Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Greatly Reduces Risk Of Getting Skin Cancer

Coffee is turning out to be the wonder drug we’ve always wanted. Only last week, a new study was released that said that a regular, daily intake of coffee could ward off liver cancer in alcoholics. Now, it seems, that sun worshippers who also consume a generous daily amount of coffee can also ward off skin cancer.

A new study put together by the NIH-AARP, found that coffee consumption has a protective quality against malignant melanoma skin cancer.

The study collected data from more than 447,000 men who participated in an overall diet and health study put together by the NIH-AARP. The participants completed a self-administered food-frequency questionnaire in 1995/1996, with a median follow-up of 10 years. The subjects in the study were all cancer-free when the study started, and the authors adjusted for ambient residential ultraviolet radiation exposure, body mass index, age, sex, physical activity, alcohol intake, and smoking history.

Overall, the highest coffee intake was inversely associated with a risk of malignant melanoma, with a 20 percent lower risk for those who consumed 4 cups per day or more. The more coffee an individual drank, the more protection from skin cancer they seemed to have, with the protective effect increasing from 1 or fewer cups to 4 or more. However, the effect was statistically significant for caffeinated but not decaffeinated coffee and only for protection against malignant melanoma.

The researchers point out that the results are early and may not be applicable to other populations, and therefore additional investigations of coffee intake are needed. However, they conclude that even if a generous daily intake of coffee only results in modest protective effects, it still may have a meaningful impact on melanoma morbidity.

Read more at Coffee Greatly Reduces Risk Of Getting Skin Cancer

+1 for team coffee!

Comment

I love coffee. Could drink it all day long. Hot, black, real big, and strong. Just like B likes his women.

Comment

haha. agree. cant start a day without 2 cups at least!

Comment

Well I've unfortunately already got a case against this. Coworker just told me about his friend, age 32, just had had been diagnosed last week and had melanoma cut out and some lymph nodes under the arm and he was a coffee drinker. Sad news for the fellow cause his wife has been fucking around on him as well with her restaurant coworkers.

Comment

I think I'm all set, I drink at least 5-6 cups a day. And oh yeah, my chocolatey skin can't hurt either! :thumup:

Comment

Originally posted by chuckz28 View Post
              Well I've unfortunately already got a case against this. Coworker just told me about his friend, age 32, just had had been diagnosed last week and had melanoma cut out and some lymph nodes under the arm and he was a coffee drinker. Sad news for the fellow cause his wife has been fucking around on him as well with her restaurant coworkers.
              Yea sad shit. Hopefully he can rise out of all that and come back better than ever.

Comment

I hear a lot of this melanoma stuff at work. It seems every other month, someone or the other is taking some time off to get a mole removed or whatever. And this is in Portlland - don't even want to think how bad it will be in Cali or in the south where it is so much sunnier and hotter. Especially you North European guys with very fair skin need to be real careful.

Comment

Yeah seems to be more prevalent. If he makes it through all of this physically and mentally the dude will be unstoppable.

Comment

Great 3 part series on the history and fight against cancer.

Video: Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies Trailer | Watch Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies Online | PBS Video

Comment

I like this post!

Comment

Working...
                      X