THE DAMAGING EFFECTS OF ENERGY DRINKS ON YOUR BODY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE DAMAGING EFFECTS OF ENERGY DRINKS ON YOUR BODY

We all need a little pick-me-up sometimes, whether it’s later on in the workday or the morning after a rough night. To get that boost, a lot of people turn to energy drinks in hopes that they will be true to their names. But what do these concoctions actually do to our bodies in order to achieve the effect of boosting energy?

Quite a lot, according to Maria Pagano, M.S., R.D., C.S.C.S., and coach at Equinox. Pagano says the following are some of the effects energy drinks have on various parts of our bodies:

blocking adenosine, a chemical the brain produces to help us sleep

heightened adrenaline levels, causing the heart to beat faster

a spike in the blood’s glucose levels

increased dopamine levels, giving the brain the sensation that the body is being energized.

The Damaging Effects of Energy Drinks On Your Body, From Headaches to Heart Problems | First We Feast

There is no doubt in my mind. Both energy drinks and preworkout make me feel abnormal in a very unhealthy way. I stopped using them about a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
      There is no doubt in my mind. Both energy drinks and preworkout make me feel abnormal in a very unhealthy way. I stopped using them about a month ago.
      I pretty much agree with this. I have turned to a cup of coffee and from time to time (quite rarely) 3mg of albuterol as a pre workout. These give me what I call "clean energy" without a big crash afterwards.
      I have steered away from stims quite a bit in recent years. I will no longer touch clen, I dont take any of the pre-workouts any more. I dont know if my body has become more sensitive to these things or I have simply become more in tune with or aware of the effects they have on me, but I have no doubt long term use of these cannot be good or healthy for me. Also I quite simply do not like the way they make me feel at all.

Comment

I haven't drank one of those type of drinks in years....my go too is plain coffee

Comment

200mg of caffeine and 25g of carbs. The best preworkout ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
            200mg of caffeine and 25g of carbs. The best preworkout ever.
            Not even in the same ballpark! It works and it's safer but the intensity and effect are worlds apart.

Comment

Originally posted by StanG View Post
              I pretty much agree with this. I have turned to a cup of coffee and from time to time (quite rarely) 3mg of albuterol as a pre workout. These give me what I call "clean energy" without a big crash afterwards.
              I have steered away from stims quite a bit in recent years. I will no longer touch clen, I dont take any of the pre-workouts any more. I dont know if my body has become more sensitive to these things or I have simply become more in tune with or aware of the effects they have on me, but I have no doubt long term use of these cannot be good or healthy for me. Also I quite simply do not like the way they make me feel at all.

Just curious - do you not worry about damaging effects from that?

(also just saw you said you rarely use it)

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
                Not even in the same ballpark! It works and it's safer but the intensity and effect are worlds apart.
                Agree

Comment

My preworkouts are usually 400mg caffeine with dmaa and yohimbine. It can cause uncontrollable jitters where I can't wait to do another set at the gym. I've taken a break from them being on cycle plus pre workouts will wreak havoc on the heart.

Comment

Sure, there are many vasoconstrictors that send your BP through the roof and get your heart racing, but my point is that nothing safe beats caffeine+carbs.

Comment

Working...
                    X