ALA for Pain Relief - It Works.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALA for Pain Relief - It Works.

So about 3 months ago I had read a few things about Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) helping with pain relief, specifically pain involving the nerves. I decided to give it a try due to my almost constant upper mid back/traps tightness/burning. I didn't have high hopes as it's a supplement and most of them are pretty much garbage.

Started taking 500mgs per day split up into 2 doses and did that everyday for the past 3 months. I had been feeling better overall especially the past 2 months but didn't really think anything of it until I ran out of ALA about 2 weeks ago. I just figured I don't need it and put it out of my mind. Well I have had an overall more consistent pain and tightness in the area ever since I ran out. The difference is very noticeable.

I've been getting up super early again just like I did before ALA use due to the uncomfortable tightness and burning. This shit works for certain types of pain guys, no BS. It's not like ibuprofin where if you have a headache you pop a pill and it goes away. It works more slowly but more consistently over time. You wont notice a thing at first but after a few weeks you'll notice that your overall daily pain level has decreased significantly. It's $15 for a 2 month supply on amazon so it's not exactly expensive either.

All the research done relates specifically to people with diabetic pains but trust me, you don't have to be diabetic to get the pain relief effects. I sit here typing this at 4:30am hoping my amazon order comes in the mail today because my pain level has increased by about 3 notches since I ran out of ALA. Hard to believe such a cheap supplement actually has an effect.

Here is the science behind it if your interested.

Alpha lipoic acid: a new treatment for neuropathic pain in patients with diabetes? - PubMed - NCBI

Antioxidant ALA Eases Pain From Diabetic Neuropathy - Diabetes Self-Management

How Alpha Lipoic Acid Helps Fibromyalgia Pain - Healing Fibro

Why and how does alpha lipoic acid help reduce pain?

First, the fact that ALA can cross the blood-brain barrier is extremely important for fibro treatment. Widespread nerve pain—such as that experienced by fibromyalgia patients—is often caused by the damage or destruction of cells in the brain and central nervous system. Think about it this way: if the nerve cells that are responsible for sending and receiving pain signals are damaged, they might send too many pain signals even without the external factors that ordinarily would cause that pain. By preventing cell destruction and eliminating free radicals in your brain and nervous system, ALA can help stop or at least reduce your nerves’ excessive pain signaling. ALA is so effective at reducing nerve pain that, in Germany, it’s often prescribed for nerve damage caused by diabetes.

ALA is also excellent at preventing damage to the mitochondria—the “powerhouse” of the cell. Mitochondria destruction plays a large part in causing both chronic fatigue and pain, since when your mitochondria are damaged, it’s more difficult for your body to turn food into energy. This means that even if you’re eating well in an attempt to fuel your body and prevent fibro-caused fatigue, you might still be running on half a tank, so to speak.

How should I take alpha lipoic acid?

Ordinarily, ALA is produced by the body. However, it is usually deficient in fibromyalgia patients. ALA does occur naturally in many foods—particularly foods such as spinach, broccoli, peas, Brussels sprouts, rice bran, brewer’s yeast, and organ meats. However, the amount found in food is much too small to be of any therapeutic value. In order to significantly affect your fibro pain, ALA should be taken in capsule form (these capsules are available at most health food stores and some pharmacies).

The correct dosage of ALA, however, is a more contentious subject. The studied therapeutic amount for diabetic nerve pain is 600-1200 mg daily. However, The University of Maryland’s Medical Center advises only 50-100mg daily for fibromyalgia patients. If considering the use of ALA, you should ask your doctor about dosage recommendations. This is extra important if you have diabetes (ALA can lower blood sugar), thyroid problems (the supplement might interfere with your thyroid medication), or a thiamine (B1) deficiency, most often caused by alcohol consumption. If you do drink while taking ALA, make sure you talk to your doctor and take a thiamine supplement as well.

There’s no doubt that alpha lipoic acid is an extremely exciting supplement with studied potential for significantly improving fibromyalgia symptoms. Studies linking fibromyalgia with free radical-related nerve damage and vitamin deficiencies are incredibly exciting as well: they show that we just might discover an underlying mechanism (or mechanisms) causing fibromyalgia, and that one day we just might be able to treat that mechanism rather than individual fibro symptoms!

Comment

Thanks I'll have a look

Comment

May have to give this a try next time i make an amazon order. I have pain in my joints when lifting almost always, and my back fucking kills me most "work" days. Just being on my feet all day lifting steel parts and running machines/presses/etc causes me pain in my back muscles and spine as well. Shit, if I'm working overtime, those days i am on my feet 16+ hours before im finally home and able to relax. Normally i just pop 2-3 ibuprofen several times a day but would like to stop since its bad for you stomach

Comment

Joint pain won't be helped by ALA bro. This is about nerves and tight burning muscles and pains. Sounds like you need Deca.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
            Joint pain won't be helped by ALA bro. This is about nerves and tight burning muscles and pains. Sounds like you need Deca.
            Afraid to use deca even low dose...remember me saying a couple weeks ago i was gonna give low dose tren a try? Started that a week ago...only took 3 37.5mg eod shots so far and i can already tell my nips arent liking it. Thats even with prami and letro. Caber and exemestane arriving today so gonna swich to those daily and hope they work. It seems i am destined to be 19nor free for life

Comment

What's the test dosage? I'm convinced it's more about the ratio rather than the dose. I'm running 650mgs of test and 175mgs of Deca per week with no issue. Only using .45mgs of adex.

I guarantee you if I was using Deca alone I'd have lactating nipples. Ratio not dose!

Keep test high, estro normal (not low) and 19 nor drugs 2-3 times lower than test dose.

Comment

Test at 245mg eod (.7cc of 350 sust) so test is def high.lol. High test never bothers me in the gyno dept. Ran a gram a week for a month or so before with aromasin for my ai and all was good

Comment

You've gotten yourself into a mess now though. letro, prami, tren, test... you don't know which way is up. hormone profiles all over the place, some too high, some too low. if i were you id go back to basics. drop everything except test. replace letro with adex. do that for a few months and only then add in low dose deca (100mgs per week) stay there for at least a month and slowly increase. you have to take back control of your hormones because right now you have no clue what is going on inside your body especially with letro in there causing estro levels to be far too low. not only is it fucking up your ratios but its killing your joints. you fucking up your body more then helping it bro. step back and take new approach.

Comment

Yeah your right bro. Only reason i decided to use letro, is bc the other 3 times i ran tren i used adex, or aromasin. Got gyno. So i thought maybe this time the strongest ai might actually help me achieve this along with an anti progesterone...I'm switching the letro for aromasin starting today (adex doesnt work well for me).Will prob do one more tiny shot of tren and see where I'm at in 2 days. If any soreness then trens gone once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                      You've gotten yourself into a mess now though. letro, prami, tren, test... you don't know which way is up. hormone profiles all over the place, some too high, some too low. if i were you id go back to basics. drop everything except test. replace letro with adex. do that for a few months and only then add in low dose deca (100mgs per week) stay there for at least a month and slowly increase. you have to take back control of your hormones because right now you have no clue what is going on inside your body especially with letro in there causing estro levels to be far too low. not only is it fucking up your ratios but its killing your joints. you fucking up your body more then helping it bro. step back and take new approach.
                      Great advice.

Comment

Interesting thread bouncer. Wondering if eq helps like deca with joints?

Comment

Ratios.....wait, it's coming....new word for the homo

Comment

Originally posted by TrapsBrah View Post
                            Interesting thread bouncer. Wondering if eq helps like deca with joints?
                            dont think any steroid does as much for joints as deca and npp (short ester Deca). IMO people with arthritis should be put on Deca immediately. I really doubt arthritis meds can compete with Deca. No money to be made though so it won't happen.

Comment

Working...
                            X