Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Is Diazepam (Valium) So Good With Muscle Spasm Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Is Diazepam (Valium) So Good With Muscle Spasm Issues?

So you guys know I've been having tight muscle knots and spasms in my upper/mid level back and trap area for a long time now. I've tried different "muscle relaxers" over the years but to be honest none of them really did much for me. Soma, cyclobenzaprine, both pretty much worthless for me.

Few weeks ago the doc recommend valium which is an anti anxiety drug but he also said a few times actually that in his opinion it's pretty much the best muscle/spasm calmer there is.

He said there are stronger anxiety meds like Xanax etc.. but when it comes to tight muscles and deep spasm nothing compares to valium in his opinion.

Being that I like to understand things and how and why things work, I thought I'd post this question up. Why is it so good with muscle tightness when it's not even specificly designated a muscle calmer?

I've actually found that they work better for my pain than actual pain meds like tramadol or ibuprofen etc..

Mr.I you have some experience with this I believe? Turbo? Thoughts?

Thanks

By the way I'm scheduled to get trigger point injections directly to the area of spasm in about 3 weeks which the doctor thinks will do the trick for me, so pills aren't something I'm going to be on forever. Trust I'm not some pill popper type. My high is looking great In the gym and feeling good. Not taking pain meds.. In the meantime the valium sure helps though.

Comment

I would have to assume that since valium calms you down...anxiety, stress, etc...that it helps shut off that part of your brain where you're worrying about the pain issue. Takes all the tension away from your brain so to speak, so that you are no longer so concerned about that uncomfortable pain issue. I used to be prescribed xanax oh 10 years ago or so, and also noticed not only mental calming effects, but also seemed to calm physical issues such as back pain. Pretty much mellowed me out so much that in turn pain didn't seem to be on my mind as much. Also took my fair share of valium as well and it had similar effects.

Comment

Benzodiazapenes act as muscle relaxants via the polysynaptic pathways in the spinal cord. It was very common for "old school" docs to use it for this purpose.
        Polysynaptic pathways control muscle contraction so if a muscle is tight or spasming benzos will stop it.

Comment

Crazy how you can go to docs for years and they all have different shit to subscribe, hardly any of it does a fucken thing for me and then some doc in the ER comes along and seems to competently understands my case right from the start and says "i want you to try valium, it's not a common muscle relaxer prescribed today but IMO it works better than all of them." Well sure enough, i try it and boom my tight muscles and knots are literally 75% better overnight. Fucken actual muscle relzxers like soma and cyclo did fuck all for me..

Wish I had found that doc and that drug years ago.

Comment

Lol at you always coming round x

Comment

Working...
            X