How Can I Lower My Cholesterol in a Few Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Can I Lower My Cholesterol in a Few Days

Not really a keto question, but having been on the keto diet for over a year so I know you guys might have some advice for me.

I took a medical and various blood tests for a new job. However, my cholesterol & triglycerides came back marginally high and I've been asked to have those blood tests taken again in a couple of days. The previous tests were done just after Thanksgiving and I have been eating eggs on a daily basis.
    So, what should I (not) be eating to lower my cholesterol & triglycerides?
    I know it's a long shot, but I thought I would ask.
    EDIT (Follow-Up): after the 2nd blood test, the numbers all came down as follows:
    tg 131 -> 122
    hdl 85 -> 77
    vdcl 26 -> 24
    ldl 127 -> 116
    Cutting carbs, exercise & 12 hour fasting.

from what I understand eggs and other high cholesterol foods don't actually raise cholesterol on their own.

The Truth About Eggs - Are Eggs Good or Bad for You

Comment

Honestly this can be done by eating more oatmeal and cutting back on red meat and the eggs. I know about the report bouncer posted, but I've gone through this. I'm on Keto and eat high fat/cholesterol so mine is always elevated but I had to do a test for insurance purposes and I cut out all the red meat and eggs and ate lots of oatmeal and my cholesterol dropped significantly.

If you want to get the triglycerides down, also reduce sugar, fruits, and processed type junk food containing sugar.

Comment

What is the point of lowering in just a few days? So you get a better test reading? You should ask yourself what you should do to get a better reading in 1 year.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
          What is the point of lowering in just a few days? So you get a better test reading? You should ask yourself what you should do to get a better reading in 1 year.
          For me it was just to get a better test reading. I don't think it's harmful to have slightly elevated cholesterol as long as your LDL-P (Particle Size) is OK, your HDL-LDL ratios are in balance, and your triglycerides are low. Actually some of the newer science is saying it's beneficial to have higher cholestrol since it's the building block of most hormones.

I'm in my 40's so I also had an carotoid artery scan and heart scan and had zero calcification so my doc said it's fully OK for me to have elevated cholesterol.

So, in my case I did it just for the insurance test since that's all they measure and then I ramped my cholesterol back up once that test was over.

Comment

guy I know did by eating chicken and brown rice for every meal

Comment

Bouncer, I noticed in one of your bloodwork threads your Cholesterol was super low. I know you're mostly "On" but it would be incredibly difficult for your body to make it's own testosterone naturally with that low of a cholesterol number, just FYI you should do some research on that. Cholesterol is the building block of testosterone.

Comment

Originally posted by M00chie69 View Post
                Bouncer, I noticed in one of your bloodwork threads your Cholesterol was super low. I know you're mostly "On" but it would be incredibly difficult for your body to make it's own testosterone naturally with that low of a cholesterol number, just FYI you should do some research on that. Cholesterol is the building block of testosterone.
                Probably from eating so much oatmeal haha. But yea I don't really have an issue with testosterone that's for sure.

I will say though that was before I started eating more healthy fats like I have been the last 6 months.

Comment

Niacin at 1000mg a day but I don't know how quickly it works. But it does work.

Comment

Originally posted by mattiebrown777 View Post
                    Cutting carbs, exercise & 12 hour fasting.
                    Just noticed this. The fasting will be good too for more than just your numbers. Try to stop eating by 9pm and skip breakfast other than coffee and then eat lunch around noon. That will be a 15 hour fast each day.

Comment

Working...
                    X