• Show
Clear All

• Why we shouldn't like coffee

Date:
    November 15, 2018

Source:
    Northwestern University

Summary:
    The more sensitive people are to the bitter taste of caffeine, the more coffee they drink, reports a new study. The sensitivity is based on genetics. Bitterness is natural warning system to protect us from harmful substances, so we really shouldn't like coffee. Scientists say people with heightened ability to detect coffee's bitterness learn to associate good things with it.

Why do we like the bitter taste of coffee? Bitterness evolved as a natural warning system to protect the body from harmful substances. By evolutionary logic, we should want to spit it out.

But, it turns out, the more sensitive people are to the bitter taste of caffeine, the more coffee they drink, reports a new study from Northwestern Medicine and QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute in Australia. The sensitivity is caused by a genetic variant.

"You'd expect that people who are particularly sensitive to the bitter taste of caffeine would drink less coffee," said Marilyn Cornelis, assistant professor of preventive medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. "The opposite results of our study suggest coffee consumers acquire a taste or an ability to detect caffeine due to the learned positive reinforcement (i.e. stimulation) elicited by caffeine."

In other words, people who have a heightened ability to taste coffee's bitterness -- and particularly the distinct bitter flavor of caffeine -- learn to associate "good things with it," Cornelis said.

Thus, a bigger tab at Starbucks.

The study will be published Nov. 15 in Scientific Reports.

In this study population, people who were more sensitive to caffeine and were drinking a lot of coffee consumed low amounts of tea. But that could just be because they were too busy drinking coffee, Cornelis noted.

The study also found people sensitive to the bitter flavors of quinine and of PROP, a synthetic taste related to the compounds in cruciferous vegetables, avoided coffee. For alcohol, a higher sensitivity to the bitterness of PROP resulted in lower alcohol consumption, particularly of red wine.

"The findings suggest our perception of bitter tastes, informed by our genetics, contributes to the preference for coffee, tea and alcohol," Cornelis said.

For the study, scientists applied Mendelian randomization, a technique commonly used in disease epidemiology, to test the causal relationship between bitter taste and beverage consumption in more than 400,000 men and women in the United Kingdom. The genetic variants linked to caffeine, quinine and PROP perception were previously identified through genome-wide analysis of solution taste-ratings collected from Australian twins. These genetic variants were then tested for associations with self-reported consumption of coffee, tea and alcohol in the current study.

"Taste has been studied for a long time, but we don't know the full mechanics of it," Cornelis said. "Taste is one of the senses. We want to understand it from a biological standpoint."

Oh ffs

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I use to drink 3 ta 5 cups every morning but haven't for a few years now.

Left that habit for the wife. lol

Comment

It's not saying it's not healthy. Just talking about or taste for bitterness.

Sent from my Moto G6 using Tapatalk

Comment

I love my coffee with my cannabis, goes hand in hand.

Comment

I pour my coffee over your fucken head as you smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
              I pour my coffee over your fucken head as you smoke.

Lol fuck off

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

because I do not like the taste of coffee

Comment

Bitterness evolved as a natural warning system to protect the body from harmful substances. By evolutionary logic, we should want to spit it out.

But, it turns out, the more sensitive people are to the bitter taste of caffeine, the more coffee they drink, reports a new study from Northwestern Medicine and QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute in Australia. The sensitivity is caused by a genetic variant.

Comment

Coffee shouldn't be bitter. If it is, then your roaster is doing a shitty job. Get better coffee.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                      Coffee shouldn't be bitter. If it is, then your roaster is doing a shitty job. Get better coffee.

that's always been my confusion with starbucks though. it's crazy popular and so many people love it but all i taste is a bitter ash tray. i don't understand. is it my taste buds or everyone elses? lol

Comment

Starbucks always over roasts their coffee and burns the hell out of the beans.

It's why I try to stick to light or at most medium roasts unless I trust the roaster. The dark roasts in most places are burned.

And people think they are getting strong coffee when they order dark roasts, which is why it's the most popular. Reality is that the more the roasting, the more caffeine molecules get destroyed, so the light roasts have the most caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                          Starbucks always over roasts their coffee and burns the hell out of the beans.

It's why I try to stick to light or at most medium roasts unless I trust the roaster. The dark roasts in most places are burned.

And people think they are getting strong coffee when they order dark roasts, which is why it's the most popular. Reality is that the more the roasting, the more caffeine molecules get destroyed, so the light roasts have the most caffeine.

your essentially saying that people agree with us in terms of taste. your saying they don't really like the taste either but they are buying it because they think it's strong coffee. you may be right. i think another factor is that it became fashionable to be seen with a fucken starbucks cup in your hand. it makes sheep feel like sophisticats.

i gotta tell ya, i have very very little confidence in the masses. the masses are dumber than ever and that includes everyone. dems and repubs, black and white, religious and atheist. the average of all of them = dumb as fuck. these idiots will walk off a cliff if it's "fashionable".

i still say that dunkin donuts has one of the best coffees there is. followed closely by petes.

Comment

Working...
                          X