Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women need to do monthly breast exams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women need to do monthly breast exams...

Girls, checks your breasts monthly! Here's some how to info. if you don't know what to do.

Also, after you're in your mid 30's go for mamograms or go earlier if you have a family history of breast cancer.

How to Examine Your Breasts

This simple 3-step procedure could save your life by finding breast cancer early when it is most curable

IN THE SHOWER

Examine your breasts during bath or shower; hands glide easier over wet skin. Fingers flat, move gently over every part of each breast. Use right hand to examine left breast, left hand for right breast. Check for any lump, hard knot or thickening.

BEFORE A MIRROR

Inspect your breasts with arms at your sides. Next, raise your arms high overhead. Look for any changes in contour of each breast, a swelling, dimpling of skin or changes in the nipple.
    Then, rest palms on hips and press down firmly to flex your chest muscles. Left and right breast will not exactly match -- few women's breasts do.Regular inspection shows what is normal for you and will give you confidence in your examination.

LYING DOWN

To examine your right breast, put a pillow or folded towel under your right shoulder. Place right hand behind your head -- this distributes breast tissue more evenly on the chest.
    With left hand, fingers flat, press gently in small circular motions around an imaginary clock face. Begin at outermost top of your right breast for 12 o'clock, then move to 1 o'clock, and so on around the circle back to 12.
    A ridge of firm tissue in the lower curve of each breast is normal. Then move in an inch, toward the nipple, keep circling to examine every part of your breast, including nipple. This requires at least three more circles. Now slowly repeat procedure on your left breast with a pillow under your left shoulder and left hand behind head. Notice how your breast structure feels. Finally, squeeze the nipple of each breast gently between thumb and index finger. Any discharge, clear or bloody, should be reported to your doctor immediately.

WHY YOU SHOULD EXAMINE YOUR BREASTS MONTHLY

Most breast cancers are first discovered by women themselves. Since breast cancers found early and treated promptly have excellent chances for cure, learning how to examine your breasts properly can help save your life. Use the simple 3-step breast self-examination (BSE) procedure shown here.

FOR THE BEST TIME TO EXAMINE YOUR BREASTS:

Follow the same procedure once a month about a week after your period, when breasts are usually not tender or swollen. After menopause, check breasts on the first day of the month. After hysterectomy, check your doctor or clinic for an appropriate time of the month. Doing BSE will give you monthly peace of mind and seeing your doctor once a year will reassure you there is nothing wrong.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IF YOU FIND A LUMP OR THICKENING

If a lump or dimple or discharge is discovered during BSE, it is important to see your doctor as soon as possible. Don't be frightened. Most breast lumps or changes are not cancer, but only your doctor can make the diagnosis.

Printed from a publication of the
    American Cancer Society
    South Central Area
    Drawer H, Amith Station
    New Haven, CT 06525

Good post. I'm sure our men won't mind helping out :)

Comment

Ladies,
      I am willing to give up some of my valuable time to help you out. I understand that some of you just forget to this and your breasts should not be neglected. I will take one for the team and offer up my services.

Anything I can do to help.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Jarhead
        Ladies,
        I am willing to give up some of my valuable time to help you out. I understand that some of you just forget to this and your breasts should not be neglected. I will take one for the team and offer up my services.

Anything I can do to help.
        :rofl:

Comment

Working...
        X