Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACNE: Information & Treatment

Q&A about ACNE
    The following info is taken from the above website.

What is ACNE?
    Acne is a disorder resulting from the action of hormones on the skin's oil glands (sebaceous glands), which leads to plugged pores and outbreaks of lesions commonly called pimples or zits.

How does ACNE develop?
    Doctors describe acne as a disease of the pilosebaceous units (PSUs). Found over most of the body, PSUs consist of a sebaceous gland connected to a canal, called a follicle, that contains a fine hair (see "Normal Pilosebaceous Unit" diagram, below). These units are most numerous on the face, upper back, and chest. The sebaceous glands make an oily substance called sebum that normally empties onto the skin surface through the opening of the follicle, commonly called a pore. Cells called keratinocytes line the follicle.

What causes ACNE?
    The exact cause of acne is unknown, but doctors believe it results from several related factors. One important factor is an increase in hormones called androgens (male sex hormones).

The hair, sebum, and keratinocytes that fill the narrow follicle may produce a plug, which is an early sign of acne. The plug prevents sebum from reaching the surface of the skin through a pore. The mixture of oil and cells allows bacteria Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) that normally live on the skin to grow in the plugged follicles. These bacteria produce chemicals and enzymes and attract white blood cells that cause inflammation. (Inflammation is a characteristic reaction of tissues to disease or injury and is marked by four signs: swelling, redness, heat, and pain.) When the wall of the plugged follicle breaks down, it spills everything into the nearby skin--sebum, shed skin cells, and bacteria--leading to lesions or pimples.

People with acne frequently have a variety of lesions, some of which are shown in the diagrams below. The basic acne lesion, called the comedo (KOM-e-do), is simply an enlarged and plugged hair follicle. If the plugged follicle, or comedo, stays beneath the skin, it is called a closed comedo and produces a white bump called a whitehead. A comedo that reaches the surface of the skin and opens up is called a blackhead because it looks black on the skin's surface. This black discoloration is not due to dirt. Both whiteheads and blackheads may stay in the skin for a long time.

Types of ACNE lesions:

Micromedo/Pimple (red, inflamed, swollen)

Open Comedo/BlackHead

Closed Comedo/WhiteHead

Other types of acne lesions can develop including the following:

Papules: inflamed lesions that usually appear as small pink bumps on the skin and can be tender to the touch.

Pustules: papules topped by pus filled lesions that may be red at the base.

Nodules: large, painful, solid lesions that are lodged deep within the skin.

Cysts: deep, painful, pus filled lesions that can cause scarring.

Natural & Over the Counter Acne Treatments

B5 & Acne: FAQ

How does vitamin B5 work?
    The working theory of B5’s anti-acne effect is that acne vulgaris (“vulgaris” from the Latin word for “common”) is really a symptom of a B5 deficiency in the body. Normally, B5 is used in the body to create and regulate hormones, process lipids (fats), etc. But when the body’s B5 pool is depleted, B5 (as coenzyme-A) is allocated according to the body’s own survival priorities. In other words, hormones and neural function are given as much available B5 as possible, with the process of fat metabolism receiving whatever B5 is left over from the more important processes.

How does this relate to acne? Well, when they’re not burned for fuel or stored for future use, extra fats are excreted, among other methods, through the skin as a fat-rich oil called “sebum”. The skin normally has a certain amount of oil released through the sebaceous glands as a means of lubrication. But when there are excess lipids to be eliminated, they are excreted through the sebaceous glands as extra sebum. Thus one experiences “oily” skin.

The skin naturally has a number of blocked pores at any given time, either because of dirt, unshed skin cells or solidified sebum, but the normal output of oil is so low that there is little appreciable build-up of oil behind the blockages. In the case of excess sebum secretion, blocked pores quickly become flooded with sebum, creating a buildup that not only causes a noticeable bump or “comedone”, but also an environment where bacteria may flourish, sometimes causing the pore and surrounding skin to become infected.

How do I take it?
    Take anywhere from 3-10 grams a day. Some people do a loading phase, some not.

It is highly recommended to take your doses of B5 divided up evenly over the day. For example, if you were taking 6 grams of B5 per day, you would do well to take six 1-gram doses, spaced out as evenly as possible. The reason for spacing out your doses is that the body can only make use of so much B5 (or any nutrient) at a time.

Trying to take the 6 grams of B5 all at once would really only result in a waste of the excess that the body can’t absorb, and it wouldn’t allow much coverage for your body’s B5 needs throughout the rest of the day. The ideal might be to take as many small doses throughout the day as possible, but it isn’t always practical to take doses on every hour or half-hour. Every two or three hours appears to work best for most people

Tea Tree Oil: Natural Topical Antibiotic

Hot Tea Tree Oil Works:
    Tea Tree Oil contains substances called terpenes which have a powerful antibacterial action. Terpenes are able to kill many bacteria, including some that are resistant to standard antibiotics, like staphylococcus aureus. Other bacteria are so weakened that the body is able to destroy them. Tea tree oil also help speed up the healing process.

"Because it (tea tree oil) has the unusual ability to penetrate beneath the surface of the skin it can help to clear up 'blind' pimples which often take so long to heal... [Regarding arthritis] Tea Tree oil has the special property of being able to penetrate through the skin to work on the tissue beneath, and its mildly anesthetic qualities give relief from the pain... Tea tree oil has mild anesthetic antiseptic qualities which will greatly reduce any risk of infection..." (Drury, Susan. Tea Tree Oil: A Medicine Kit in a Bottle. Lindfield: Unity P, 1991.)

How to Use Tea Tree Oil:
    You can get tea tree oil at most drug stores or natural health food stores. Apply the oil to effected areas 2-3 times a day. It does have a distinct minty/eucalyptus smell, so I usually put it on just at bed time. A little goes a long way.

Common Uses for Tea Tree Oil:
    ~ As an antiseptic, antibacterial and anti fungal.
    ~ Effective against fungal skin infections including athletes’ foot.
    ~ Reduces the risk of infections and aids healing of cuts, abrasions and burns.
    ~ Soothes insect bites.
    ~ Helps reduce dandruff - add a few drops to shampoo when you wash your hair.

Benzoyl Peroxide

What is Benzoyl Peroxide?
    Benzoyl peroxide, acne treatment, is a topical antibiotic. The "benzoyl" propels "peroxide" into the follicle, releasing oxygen killing the anaerobic Acne P. bacteria responsible for acne lesions. Anaerobic defines a bacterium that cannot survive in the present of oxygen.

Applied once, sometimes twice, a day to control the bacteria count, missing one or two days can bring on a new crop of pimples. Its anti-inflammatory action reduces swelling and redness allowing the skin to heal. The sloughing action promotes follicular peeling to evacuate closed comedones and open comedones called black heads.

A stellar point for benzoyl peroxide is it does not cause bacteria to become resistant to its benefits or properties. Moderate to severe acne may take from three weeks to several months to start showing improvement.

Side Effects of Benzoyl Peroxide:
    Dryness, redness and scaly skin are experienced if the product is initially used in too high a concentration, or is applied too often. Occasionally, these symptoms, if severe, may signal an allergy to benzoyl peroxide, and often include swelling, itching or tenderness.

Comment

Commentary: Topical Acne Treatments

Benzoyl peroxide and tea tree oil are just a couple of over the counter treatments for acne.

Some others include: triclosan based face washes, cosmetics containing witch hazel or alcohol. Also, there are numerous scrubs, creams, and washes.

Although acne is a terrible and frustrating condition, please do not be too hasty in your treatment. More often than not, a full fledged attack on your skin IRRITATES and AGGREVATES breakouts more than prevent them.

If you dry out your skin too much, it can actually promote an increased production of oil and sebum to compensate. Also, without natural moisture in your skin, you are actually exposing your skin to a higher risk of infection.

My best suggestion is to :
      ~Use a MILD cleanser for your face, like Cetaphil, or Neutrogena, or any other gentle, oil free and soap free cleanser.
      ~Supplement with vitamin B5.
      ~Spot treat acne with benzoyl peroxide and/or tea tree oil.
      ~Always be sure to mositurize your face after cleansing. If you are acne prone, or have oily skin, look for oil free moistureizers.

If you suffer acne on your back, or other parts of the body be sure to:
      ~Use cotton bedsheets.
      ~Wash your sheets every other day.
      ~Always shower after your workouts as soon as possible.
      ~In a spray bottle, use rubbing alcohol and/or a mix of rubbing alcohol, witch hazel, and tea tree oil, and spray your effected areas 1-3 times a day.

Thanks again to YellowJacket for the invite.
      www.forcedrep.com

Comment

Perscription Acne Treatments

Here is some more information about some perscription treatments for ACNE.

If all natural or over the counter treatments fail, or if you are suffering from a terribly severe case of acne, please see a doctor or dematologist.

RetinA: A Perscription Topical Acne Treatment
        This information is taken from the above site.

What is RetinA? RetinA aka Tretinoin is a derivative of vitamin A. Topical Tretinoin is used in the treatment of mild to moderate acne and on skin that has been damaged by excessive exposure to the sun.

How does RetinA work? Tretinoin irritates the skin and causes the cells of the skin to grow (divide) and die more rapidly, that is, it increases the turnover of cells. The number of layers of cells in the skin actually is reduced. In patients with acne, new cells replace the cells of existing pimples, and the rapid turnover of cells prevents new pimples from forming.

Are there Side Effects? Following the application of tretinoin to the skin, there often is local inflammation. This reaction disappears when treatment is stopped. Mild stinging or a sensation of warmth also can occur when applying tretinoin. Dryness, scaling, and redness occur frequently. If severe redness, vesicles or crusting develops, a physician should be notified immediately and tretinoin stopped.

Some patients using tretinoin develop an increased sensitivity to develop sunburn (photosensitivity). Therefore, it is advisable to avoid exposing treated areas of the skin to excessive sunlight or UV lamps to reduce the risk of severe sunburn

Accutane (Isotretinoin): An oral perscritption medication
        The following information is taken from the above website.

What is Accutane (Isotretinoin)? Accutane is an oral drug used for the treatment and prevention of severe acne. Acne is caused by inflammation of the skin. Severe acne causes permanent scarring of the skin. The inflammation is caused in part by an increased secretion of sebum (oily substance) from glands in the skin (sebaceous glands). The sebum provokes inflammation, and the inflammation resolves (heals) with the formation of a scar (keratinization). The exact mechanism of action of isotretinoin is not known; however, it may reduce acne by reducing the secretion of sebum. If less sebum is secreted it is likely that there will be less inflammation and keratinization.

Side Effects: The most common side effects of isotretinoin are dry skin, itching, dry nose, nosebleeds (epistaxis), cracks in the corners of the mouth (chilitis), dry mouth, and inflammation of the whites of the eyes. Joint aches also are common.

Patients may develop an increase in blood cholesterol and triglycerides. Psychiatric problems such as depression, hallucinations and suicidal behavior have been reported.

Rare side effects include skin infections, peeling, sun sensitivity, hearing impairment and hepatitis. Rarely, isotretinoin can cause brain swelling (pseudotumor cerebri or intracranial hypertension), which produces nausea, vomiting, headache, and changes in vision.

Tetracycline aka Achromycin; Sumycin: A perscription oral antibiotic

What is Tetracycline? Tetracycline is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. It is effective against a wide variety of bacteria including Hemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Chlamydia psittaci, Chlamydia trachomatis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, and many others.

This includes the bacteria responsible for causing acne vulgaris, propionibacterium acnes.

Side effects of Tetracycline: Tetracycline is generally well-tolerated.

The most common side effects are diarrhea or loose stools, nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting. Tetracyclines may cause discoloration of teeth if used in patients below 8 years of age.

Exaggerated sunburn can occur with tetracyclines; therefore, sunlight should be minimized during treatment.

Commentary: As with any antibiotics, some of the offensive strain may survive the treatment, resulting in resistance to the medication.

I have mixed feelings about antibiotics. You see the effects pretty fast, but once you are off of them, there is a chance that acne can come back with a vengence. But then again, tetracycline is also very effective for many people.

Cortisone Injections: Spot Treatments for Cystic Acne

What is Cortisone? An adrenocorticoid hormone, a naturally occurring hormone made by and secreted by the adrenal cortex, the outer part (the cortex) of the adrenal gland.

Its many uses include the treatment of adrenocortical deficiency and conditions associated with inflammation.

How does it work? Doctors can inject this horomone into large painful cysts. As a result, the cyst will heal faster, quickly flatten out, and have a smaller chance of producing a scar.

Comment

Excellent post.... sticky..

Comment

ACNE & Bodybuilding

Some people are acne prone. Some peopel get acne due to the hormonal fluctuations during menses, puberty, the use of anabolic steroids, or sureing post cycle therapy.

Some people do not get acne, and some people get terrible disfiguring cases of acne.

If you are using anabolic steroids, and develop acne, please be cautious about the way you approach your treatment. Accutane is extremely hepatoxic, and can do serious damage to your body when used. This danger is compounded when Accutane is used during a cycle of anabolic steroids.

Again, some people have used AAS and Accutane simultaneously with no ill effects, but when it comes the health of your organs, it is always better safe than sorry.

Some people supplement with an herb called Milk Thistle, which helps to repair and detoxify the liver, during and after the a cycle of anabolic steroids. There is anecdotal evidence that due to an enhanced efficiency of the liver due to Milk Thistle supplementation, there is an added benefit to the skin--resulting in less acne.

My best reccomendation is to adopt all of the above natural skin care methods, most notably supplementing with vitamin B5, and the topical use of tea tree oil and/or benzoyl peroxide. If you are acne prone, these methods will help you year round.

When using RetinA, your skin can become real sensitive to light, so try not to tan when using topical RetinA, and avoid sun.

Speaking of tanning, some people find that (for those who tan easily.. this is not reccomended for those who burn), visiting a tanning booth at least 1-2 times a week can help against the fight against body acne/"back-ne."

Some people also experience acne only during post cycle therapy. Some blame Clomid, a weak estrogen like compound which is used during post cycle therapy. The specific reason for post cycle acne is unclear, but is suspected to be due to the fluctuation of horomones in your body. Fluctuating horomones can aggrevate increased sebum production, but the best you can do is to make sure to care for your skin so that way your pores do not become clogged, or that bacteria is not allowed to proliferate.

Comment

YJ~ Thanks bro :)

Comment

I began developing some adult acne about 2 yrs ago along my jaw/chin line. Been using Retin A and it helps a lot. But get this...I'm on a prop cycle and my acne is almost completely gone...I have no new pimples in the last 2 weeks and didn't get a monthly breakout either.

Comment

Good timely info for me!! ;)

Comment

im curious has anyone used the b5 in high doses. and can you tell
                    a difference in the acne while on it?

Comment

bump... looks like good info.. but too much for me to read.

my pops is a dermatologist , so i know some of it already

Comment

I used accutane while I was on a cycle. DO NOT DO THIS!

My skin got worse and worse every day. Huge cysts came out of nowhere all over my chest and back. They have left scars.

My skin was not that bad to begin w/, but I wanted it to be perferct. So I went to my Dermatologist and he put me on.

I am off cycle right now, and had to come off the Acctuane as well, because my liver valuies were getting too toxic. I was using orals in my cycle with the accutane too....Bad idea.

I have been off Acccutane for 2 months now, and off cycle for six weeks. I have cleared up, But I did some real damage to my skin.

So, just some advice for yall. Beware of the Accutane, it is not a joke.

Comment

I'm just starting my second month of Oxytetracycline 250mg tablets twice a day and so far all that seems to have happened is the acne on my back has got worse! ! ! ! !
                          I'm now washing my back in the morning and every night plus as of this weekend dabbing on Tea tree oil, but still no improvement.
                          I first got very mild acne 3 month after a course, which seemed to be agrevated when I had a tattoo done on my back which was sealed with plastic wrap for a couple of days.
                          I then did another course which finished end of sept 03 and now the acne is across my entire back and driving me mental even after the month of anti biotics.
                          Thanks I think I needed to rant a bit but will investigate B5

Comment

wow! is amazing how many treatments there are out there but c'mon you all forgot a very important and simple back, chest and face anti-acne prevention and it's to take a really good shower after all work outs with some good dissinfencting soap because lets face gym's aren't exactly higynic and you really need to take off all that sweat off your pores asap to keep them unblocked and when showering at the gym always wear sandlas as gym shower floors contain some seriously infective bacteria. most important also keep youe hands as clean as possible coz lets face without thinking bout it we touch our faces a lot and hands can carry a lot of nasty stuff. hope i wasn't too boring

Comment

Originally posted by Puddles
                              I began developing some adult acne about 2 yrs ago along my jaw/chin line. Been using Retin A and it helps a lot. But get this...I'm on a prop cycle and my acne is almost completely gone...I have no new pimples in the last 2 weeks and didn't get a monthly breakout either.
                              That's interesting becuase my skin always seems to clear up too when I start a new cycle. Then it gets real bad during PCT, even without clomid. Lasts about 2 months too.

Comment

Working...
                              X