DIY Sunless Tanning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Sunless Tanning

Okay, so i've done some research and felt i'd share what I've found with everyone else, since you've all been so generous with your knowledge as well.

Sunless Tanning is gaining in popularity, but unlike consumer electronics and other goods the price is not falling with time. Most organizations that offer this product recommend several sessions in the first week to week and a half to lay a "base tan," and then returning weekly for maintenance. The efficacy of this will be discussed later, but first and foremost for the non-affluent/lottery winners is the concern regarding its cost.
    Single sessions can range anywhere from $25-$35, not a small chunk of change for some. Part of the incentive for pricing single sessions so high for retailers is to pressure customers into buying package deals. How many of us shop at costco or sam's club to save money but never spend less than several hundred dollars per trip?!? Same Idea. With package pricing the cost of individual tans can be lowered to about $10-$15 per session, which isn't all that bad. What's always shocking however is laying down $300 for that package. Oh, but don't forget about receiving two tans in a sub-standard bed that's probably infested with lice that you'll never use!
    Nevertheless, many of us are stranded due to our genetics. Just as many of our biceps won't have peaks of Arnold-like proportions, many of us similarly don't tan well, burn easily, and are easily dissuaded from using UV tanning booths for a variety of reasons, some of which have already been mentioned. Like many people I've deduced that my ancestors spent their lives harvesting peat under a cloudy sky in Ireland. And when I am exposed to sun, instead of even simply burning, my melanin (the bodies natural pigment that causes SOME people to tan) doesn't spread out evenly, but rather clusters together like the boys and girls at a 6th grade dance, creating FRECKLES. I don't think any of us are looking to have a built, cut, freckled body now are we?
    So, for some, sunless tanning is the only way to go, and there are a variety of products for this.
    Most of the available products are in gel or foam form, come pre-packaged, and can be purchased most anywhere. These are however prone to streaking and unnatural coloring (trial and error will be covered!). On top of this, not all of us are like Jim Carrey and cannot reach certain body parts. My back comes to mind first and foremost. This is usually no sweat, even hairy backed guys can find girls to put sunscreen on their backs at the beach, but it would be awkward to ask this in winter. well okay, it's awkward period.
    So, how about making our own sunless tanning misting device?!? Here is what I found in doing so:
    Sunless tanning booths that mist the product on you do so by the process of atomization. This is exactly the same principle used by old perfume bottles whereby a powerful stream of air is directed through a tube or piping. connected to this tube is the tanning product (or perfume). The rushing air will create a low pressure (like the top of an airplane wing) and draw small amounts of the product into it which will then be misted out.
    So... first, buy an airbrush. Find a nozzle that is NOT fine tipped, remember you want an even dispersion, not someone writing four letter words on your back. Airbrushes can be found at most art-supply stores. These are not created for this purpose though, and neither I nor the suppliers can guarantee how well they'll work. These will run you about $60 and up.
    Second, find an air-supply, cheap airbrushes come with cans of compressed air, these won't last long however, and over the long term may add up in price. Your second option is a compressor, which will be more expensive, but last longer and be cheaper over the long term.
    Thirdly, find a tanning product. I said i'd get to trial and error earlier, and here goes: THERE IS NO WAY AROUND IT. Different skin types react differently to different tanning and bronzing agents. You're just going to have to find one that works best for you. Try testing different products on small patches of skin before purchasing larger quantities. I offer you the best of luck in this endeavor, as it may be frustrating.
    WARNING: DO NOT place a gel or other type of tanning agent in an airbrush that is not produced for this type of application. You may experiment with dilluting different products, but may very well ruin your equipment and waste your money. I'd STRONGLY recommend you purchase a product designed for this application specifically (link to come in a few).
    Lastly, find someone to help you get those hard to reach areas, there still isn't a decent way around this i've found yet. just shave your back so it's less awkward, this will also allow the product to reach your skin more evenly and create a better tan. You may want to do this in an area where you don't mind errant spray hitting the walls, (shower stalls work well), or if it's not too cold, go outside... Go ahead, give the neighbors something to gossip about.
    Yes, this is a lot of stuff to figure out, but fortunately there are online retailers that sell package equipment, designed for spas etc. . . to use in their businesses. I found a cheap package deal at www.proairbrushtanning.com/ for about $300 (this includes the airbrush, 1/2 gallon of tanning agent, and a compressor). This is roughly the same price you might pay for a package deal at a salon near you, but will last for MANY more applications, and save you money in the long run. This website also sells the tanning agent in 1/2 gallon, and gallon jugs. Offhand I do not remember how many applications these jugs are good for. I have not used this company myself and cannot vouch for them. When at all possible, find a reputable dealer near you! Other companies are abound on the web that sell these products and components, just find your favorite search engine and type in 'sunless tanning,' 'supplies,' etc. . . You'll find what you need soon enough. If you purchase the components separately, you may spend somewhat less than $300, but are obviously taking the risk of it not working, malfunctioning etc. . . Bottom line: keep your receipt, and if you have to return it, convince them you really did try to use it for artwork, you just have no idea why the airbrush is so tanned.
    These DIY tans will last as long as those you will recieve at salons and spas near you. So really, all you're doing is saving money, but hey, isn't that what matters? Over time you may save hundreds of dollars doing this, or for all I care you can charge your friends and make your money back in a day. It's in your hands now! : )

Okay, so i'm long-winded, so sue me. I wonder if anyone w/ a full-time job and who spends much time in the gym will find the time to figure this all out and experiment like i have. But if i've helped even a few people out and saved them a lot of time then it's all good. Take care everyone.

I appreciate this post! I recently used some self tanning lotions and although they worked very well, they are pretty expensive when purchased locally. I like the airbrushing idea better too. How quickly does this stuff usually dry? How long do you have to wait before taking a shower?

Comment

for most brands, at least the ones i've tried, you don't even want to let the tanning agent dry on you, about 30sec's to a minute after applying it to any given area you wipe it off to prevent it from running down and causing streaking. when using an airbrush this leaves the issue of possibly overlapping areas, so you have to be a little careful with it... depending on the nozzle though if you're spraying from about 6-8 inches this can be easily controlled. (just don't let anyone w/ parkinsons spray you down : ) If you're using a tanning solution w/ a bronzing agent, you're supposed to wait about 4 hours before showering, if there's no bronzing agent just follow the directions on the label. wear dark clothing, and use dark bed-sheets unless you want your linens tanned too, that's my only beef w/ this process, its messy as hell. this all is a lot of time and effort to 'experiment' with to get it right, but i guess for some it's the only way to go about it. oh yeah, and wipe down areas where you have wrinkles and folds in ones skin earlier, these tend to catch and retain more of the tanning agent and can turn darker and make lines. protect areas where there is thicker skin (knee caps, elbows, palms) from retaining too much tan by applying a light coating of lotion to the area beforehand and letting it dry, and lastly, put a thick coat of lotion on the backs of your hands, fingers, tops of your toes, and especially fingernails and toenails, enough of a coat to wipe off later. the tanning agent REALLY sticks to these areas well, and will make it look like you've been playing in the mud w/ your bare hands (to put it in the most tactful manner). wipe these areas off first and almost immediately after being sprayed if doing large portions at a time. i've never tried this myself, but have heard and read that using nail-polish remover will reverse this effect on your nails, i'm not sure if it would work, or if one would even want to try it on their skin! ---take care everybody---

Comment

I love the thought of not having to wait long for the product to dry!

I found that wearing rubber gloves when applying self tanners is the best way to go. When I'm done with my body I slide the gloves off to just the finger tips so I can carefully smooth some onto the back of my hands and fingers. To keep the stuff from staining your nails, put a coat of clear nail polish on before using the product including the udnerside of the nail, then you can quickly take it off with nail polish remover if you don't want to keep the clear on. If you wind up with dark spots on the dry areas (knees, elbows, etc.) hit them with a pumice stone or an exfoliating scrub cloth to help lighten the area up. Cocoa butter works good for protecting those areas and the hands before applying tanning products, just make sure it's applied sparingly and only where needed.

Comment

i tried the nail-polish before application today, and it worked like a charm, thank you so much for that suggestion mrspuddles!!

Comment

Do you airbrush yourself or have someone do it? and how much do you have to practice to get good at it?

thx for info

Comment

have someone else do it for the harder to reach places, it's not that hard to get the hang of, just try to keep the nozzle a set distance from the skin, wiping it off evenly is probably the more important skill here.

Comment

Working...
              X