• Show
Clear All

• China Is Getting Fat

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heg349y.png
Views:	77
Size:	766.2 KB
ID:	987798

It is sunrise at a camp for teenagers in China. One by one, they file out of their dorms, some still rubbing the sleep from their eyes.

As they hurry into formation for morning exercises, former soldiers bark orders at them - jump higher, run faster, squat lower.

For these children, there is just one aim - to lose weight.

"It will be difficult, it will be exhausting, but I really have no choice," says 15-year-old Dushuai. "I absolutely have to lose weight."

Back in the 1960s, China suffered a devastating famine that killed nearly 20 million people. But now, the country faces a new scourge: Obesity.

One in five children - and tens of millions of adults - are now overweight or obese.

China's rapid economic growth has brought huge lifestyle changes - people now consume more Western-style junk food, laden with fat and sugar, and are more sedentary.

Some are beginning to take drastic measures.

For children like Dushai, that means spending his holidays at a camp where his days are filled with rigorous exercise, nutrition classes, and carefully crafted meals.

From boot camps for overweight teens run by former soldiers, to radical weight loss surgery, many across the nation are trying to get in shape.

Same thing in India. Everyone used to be super thin. I mean the common folk. The rich have always been chubby. The daily ritual would involve cycling a few miles to go to school or work, and carrying groceries home, or grinding grain to make flour by hand, and so on. But now, everyone has a motorcycle or a car, and nobody has time, so everyone eats packaged good, or eats out. So everyone's turning into little porkers. The more like the West they get in terms of their habits, the more like Westerners they get in terms of their obesity.

Just came back from a trip to India and there are fat fucks everywhere. Only people still thin are the hard core laborers, the guys who use sledgehammers to break rocks and stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
      Same thing in India. Everyone used to be super thin. I mean the common folk. The rich have always been chubby. The daily ritual would involve cycling a few miles to go to school or work, and carrying groceries home, or grinding grain to make flour by hand, and so on. But now, everyone has a motorcycle or a car, and nobody has time, so everyone eats packaged good, or eats out. So everyone's turning into little porkers. The more like the West they get in terms of their habits, the more like Westerners they get in terms of their obesity.

Just came back from a trip to India and there are fat fucks everywhere. Only people still thin are the hard core laborers, the guys who use sledgehammers to break rocks and stuff like that.
      World wide food poisoning of a different kind... Sad.

I was thinking about this last week. I was watching a PBS documentary on Woodstock. All kinds of video footage of the event from 1969. Almost everyone had their shirts off and I don't think I saw a single chubster. Sad that it was so shocking.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post

That's so true. It's happening the same in Bulgaria. With the evolution of modern tech, I believe people become more adapted to comfortable conditions and we forget how our ancestors used to live. Well, nothing to do about it

Comment

This is happening everywhere. I believe this is mainly caused by the sedentary lifestyle and the unhealthy diet that most of us have. I think people should spread worldwide awareness on this matter so that more people will know about the risks of being obese/the detrimental effects of it.
          Last edited by JesseG; 09-11-19, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseG View Post
            I think people should spread worldwide awareness on this matter so that more people will know about the risks of being obese/the detrimental effects of it.
            everyone is very well aware of the detrimental effects. it's just that the burger, fries, ice cream, and cookies are too tempting for most..

Comment

As the trend of eating junk food is increasing the risk of becoming obese increased everywhere.

Comment

Wow, yeah Asia was thin because of the hotter weather in certain areas and being skinny was prized. Now I think it's not limited to China, line NitinJoshi said, obesity is increasing everywhere

Comment

Working...
                X