• Show
Clear All

• Surgery Isn’t Any Better Than Drugs for Heart Disease: Study

Click image for larger version

Name:	y5mYjUa.png
Views:	78
Size:	728.6 KB
ID:	991099

Bypass surgery and stents aren’t more effective than drug treatment in preventing heart attacks, according to a study released Saturday at the American Heart Association’s annual scientific conference.

The study, called Ischemia, isn’t the first to suggest bypass surgery and stents are overused. But it’s the largest, with more than 5,000 people, and includes today’s drug therapy as an alternative.

The standard treatment for tens of thousands of heart disease patients with blocked coronary arteries is to redirect blood around a blockage with surgery or to implant medical tubes called stents.

For example, after Bernie Sanders experienced chest discomfort last month at an event in Las Vegas, doctors found a blockage and inserted two stents in his chest.

Judith Hochman, senior associate dean of clinical sciences at NYU Langone Health, was the chair of the study, which also included researchers from Stanford University.

“Based on our results, we recommend that all patients take medications proven to reduce the risk of a heart attack, be physically active, eat a healthy diet, and quit smoking,” said co-chair David Maron, director of Preventive Cardiology and the Stanford Prevention Research Center at Stanford University.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...y?srnd=premium

Bullshit, this is just a medical insurance scam.

no way in hell can tablets open up the diameter of a blocked artery as good as a stent can.

They just want everyone hooked on tablets as it makes more money for pharma

Comment

Absolute horseshit. There are 3 males in my family who would have been dead 20-30 years ago if it weren't for bypass surgery

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
        Absolute horseshit. There are 3 males in my family who would have been dead 20-30 years ago if it weren't for bypass surgery
        and your ass is still running hormona!?

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post

and your ass is still running hormona!?
          About 250 every 2 weeks but coming off soon

Comment

Not completely convinced as similar stories in extended family as well, but "prevention is better than cure" still stands.

Comment

Total bullshit!! Insurance and painkiller meds scam! I could go on and on about meds. Especially pain meds. I don't take em anymore but I used to. And I can still get just about anything I want. Legally. And heart meds? Yeah, been taking those for 2 years and they never stopped me from damn near having a heart attack.
              This past June, my chest was feeling tighter and tighter. Well, June 25th I went to doctor cause I was scared as hell. Felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. When I was seen, my blood pressure was 210/105... immediately doc called ambulance. After a few meds at hospital and the next day, I was given a stress test. I failed miserably .
              June 27th I had 4 stents put in my RCA (right coronary artery). They went thru my wrist to install them. I was awake, but kinda out of it, too. Anyway, when they were finished (and this is no bullshit) I immediately felt the difference. My breathing was so much easier. I could actually take a deep, deep breath and it felt so damn good. I actually told the guys (techs who helped surgeon) that wheeled me back to my room that I could breathe better at that damn moment. They kinda laughed and said that that's what happens when you have clear passages. And to stop smoking weed. I've kinda stopped smoking weed but I've never felt better cardiovascularly.
              So no, this nonsense that meds will replace actual opening of arteries is just that, nonsense.

Comment

Did anybody even bother looking up the original study or at least a summary at a medical site, instead of reading a garbage, incomplete article on fucking Bloomberg...sheesh.

At least read this:

https://www.ajmc.com/conferences/aha...ter-than-drugs

TL;DR. Noninvasive drug treatment may be better than invasive procedures for *some* classes of heart disease.

Take off your tinfoil hats, maybe some useful information will go in.

Comment

For example, after Bernie Sanders experienced chest discomfort last month at an event in Las Vegas, doctors found a blockage and inserted two stents in his chest.

Comment

Working...
                  X