Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Before/after: From fat to muscular in 5 mos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before/after: From fat to muscular in 5 mos!

I went from about 230 with a 42" waist to 171 with a 31" waist in 5 months. Then bulked up a bit to 177 the next 2 mos. What began as efforts to rehab a bad back turned into a quest for serious muscle. I lift, swim and do yoga. I still don't quite grasp the mindset of actually competing in a bodybuilding competition, but the challenge of progressing to that level and overcoming more of my inhibitions are compelling. The next step I'm taking is posting these pictures and inviting comments, criticism, etc. Any coaching advice welcome! Here are the pictures, and I'll try to reply to emails.

Before/after, front (not a real before picture, I'd lost 20lbs by this point):
    Attached Files

Before/after, rear.
    Attached Files

Comment

First time ever posing for the camera. Bodyfat assessment at the gym.
      Attached Files

Comment

Front double bis.
        Attached Files

Comment

Side chest. The gym pics were at 171 lbs.
          Attached Files

Comment

Talk about getting uninhibited! Behold the flexing lap swimmer...at 177lbs.
            Attached Files

Comment

Trying something more advanced. I need posing (not to mention fashion) advice...fast!
              Attached Files

Comment

Back double bis.
                Attached Files

Comment

Rear lats. I know I have to work on my lats, legs, traps...am I missing anything?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Kneeling side chest.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Trying to flex my chicken legs. My bad back precluded squats and lunges, but I've just begun doing them!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Kneeling bicep. That's all, folks. I know I have a LOT of work to do before I even think of competing, but do I have potential? Any training, diet and posing advice helpful...thanks in advance!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice work bro. Keep it up!

Comment

Go ahead and post up what your diet is. You should get some great feedback on it once you do. For posing advice, Needsize would probably be someone you would like to talk to.

But great work on your transformation.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Naturally, I made the most progress during the first 5 mos when my diet was strictest. During this period it was almost entirely egg whites, Isopure protein powder with water, grilled or poached salmon or chicken breasts, dry salad and raw vegetables. Virtually no bread, or white foods (other than egg whites!), dairy or non-Omega 3 fats. When I incorporated a little dairy or oatmeal in the a.m. my lower abs began to bloat and I went from 171 to 177 pounds in two months. While I liked being lean, I want to get a lot bigger without getting fatter, "clean bulking" if such a thing is possible.

I figure there might be some questions about my training too, so here's a rough history.

I engaged in a lot of physical activity the first 5 mos: 30 minutes of elliptical stairmaster and 60 minutes of lifting with moderate weight at 6am 4 days a week with moderate weight: chest/tris, back/bis, shoulders/legs. I also swam laps 45-60 minutes 2-3 evenings a week, and did an hour of yoga 2-3 nights a week.

The next two months I began working a lot more hours (in addition to a 90 min-2 hr commute) so I had to cut back. Given this, I modified my training by performing a brutal hi rep, light weight full body workout every other day 3 times per week. The workouts never ran more than an hour, during which I panted and sweated uncontrollably for the final 45 minutes since it involved absolutely NO rest between sets. Light weights, but not for the fainthearted!

Now I'm trying to add lean mass so I've temporarily discontinued swimming and yoga given time constraints and began lifting 6 days a week with heavier weights, starting with 30 minutes on the stairmaster. Typically, Mon=legs/shoulders/traps (push workout), Tue=back/bis (pull workout), Wed=chest tris (push workout). I switched my supplements from Isopure to MRPs. I continue eating a generally healthy diet but consume more carbs, oftentimes microwave popcorn at night, and otherwise cheat here and there. I plan to go more hardcore on my diet because I'm really motivated to progress; problem is, I just about maxed out on my common sense and am looking for feedback or a lifting buddy to help me get to the next level(s). What can I say...I'm hooked on bodybuilding!

So again, any advice or feedback is appreciated; feel free to also contact me at [email protected] for more details, unless anyone cares to see them posted on the board.

Comment

Working...
                              X