Question about low carb diet, and ketosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about low carb diet, and ketosis

Ive been struggling with some extra weight for a while, its not coming off like it used to. Anyways, Ive decided to give the old nocarb/keto diet a shot. My question is, how much carbs can I eat while maintaining ketosis? I know this is somewhat subjective but Im curious about what the guidelines are.

As a general rule 20 grams or less of carbs per day.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. Does it matter what your bodyweight is? Im around 330, but I am about 40-50 lbs overweight. I know the amount allowed is small but I want to make it count, and eat the most essential carbs like fiber etc. Does ala allow one to take in more carbs? I guess Ill just experiment and find out but if anyone has a clue, feel free to chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoa Dude
        Thanks for the answer. Does it matter what your bodyweight is? Im around 330, but I am about 40-50 lbs overweight. I know the amount allowed is small but I want to make it count, and eat the most essential carbs like fiber etc. Does ala allow one to take in more carbs? I guess Ill just experiment and find out but if anyone has a clue, feel free to chime in.
        Try going to www.c-k-d.com. The people there know a lot more about keto than I do and will be glad to help. Hope I didn't piss anyone off here by giving out another site.

Comment

Don't count fiber against your carb total, it doesn't affect blood sugar so it won't keep you out of ketosis.

ALA should help you stay in ketosis, how many carbs you can take in will only be established with some experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by labrad
            As a general rule 20 grams or less of carbs per day.
            I wouldn't recommend staying on less than 20 carbs a day for more than 2 weeks cuz your body will run out of glycogen and you will get stuck and stop burning fat. Have an up day every 4th day or so where you throw in some form of good complex carbs like a bowl of oatmeal, brown rice, or sweet potato.

Comment

Thanks guys, Ive just settled into ketosis and I feel great. I really think I was addicted to carbs and sugar, I feel a million times better. I was getting bad for a while, ordering Italian and Chinese takeout every night, chowing whatever I felt like etc...I was starting to feel like a junkie lol, Id be hungry, Id eat a bunch of tasty food, then Id feel LOUSY for the rest of the day, then Id have a hard time sleeping, waking up sluggish and tired. Now, I feel ready to go as a matter of fact theres a definite buzz I feel in my whole body. Only thing I dont like is the metallic taste in my mouth and that acetone smell. But what the hey, its worth it. And thanks for the fiber advice, does that apply to ruffage like lettuce and celery too?

Comment

Originally posted by Cory
                I wouldn't recommend staying on less than 20 carbs a day for more than 2 weeks cuz your body will run out of glycogen and you will get stuck and stop burning fat. Have an up day every 4th day or so where you throw in some form of good complex carbs like a bowl of oatmeal, brown rice, or sweet potato.
                That would defeat the purpose of doing a ketogenic diet, fat becomes the primary fuel source.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetoeat
                  That would defeat the purpose of doing a ketogenic diet, fat becomes the primary fuel source.
                  I have worked with so many clients who have done atkins and typically the ones who stay on induction(less than 20 carbs) get stuck. Once you deplete glycogen your body can't burn fat because glycogen is necessary for all body functions including fat burning. And you can only get glycogen from carbs. It is a balancing act. you need to take in just the right amounts to keep burning fat. Below 20 grams is just too low to stay on indefinately. Plus, you don't want to live in ketosis anyway, because you are probably burning a shitload of muscle if you are registering dark purple on your keto strips. As you can tell I'm not a big fan of these types of diets. It's about balance and moderation and knowing when and what types of carbs to take in. Complex early in the day, veggies at night. Absolutely NO refined sugar or processed sugar/starch foods and limit your fruit until you have gotten closer to your goals. I usually tell my clients to write down exactly what they eat and the times they eat, and how much of each macro-nutrient they contain. You would be amazed at how much this helps you to realize what you are putting in your body.
                  Last edited by Cory; 08-06-03, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Well, Ill tell you this much, there seemse to a be a wide variety of ways to do the low carb, keto diets. Im not sure that carbs are necessary to burn fat however. From the research that Ive done, the body starts to burn incomplete fats, also called ketones. Ive found some consensus on the fact that the whole human body, especially the brain and the heart, run just as well on ketones as on glucose. But I agree with Cory totally in that carb control is the key rather than carb elimination. Personally, I ingest about 30 grams of carbs just from MRPs, condiments, and hotdogs. And that much carbs is so far keeping me right on the edge, in very light ketosis. Carbs will sneak in and so far the thirty grams is working for me. Cant really justify a carbup but Ill see what happens in a week or so. If I start to feel weak and drained, Ill consider doing a small sensible carbup. But at this point, I'm not even doing my planned dextrose creatine coctail. Workouts are going very well too. Im not going full speed but Im doing a bit of cardio then lifting mostly five-six sets of 3-4 reps on all excercices. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory
                      And you can only get glycogen from carbs.
                      Roughly 58% of protein can be converted to glucose, so this isn't the case.

Ketogenic diets are no less catabolic than any other diet, ketones are quite effective at doing the functions of glucose. Most who don't succeed on ketogenic diets don't have the slightest idea how to do one.

That being said, IMO a targeted ketogenic diet with weekly refeeds(carb-ups) is my favorite way of dieting and most would see great success if they followed this approach.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetoeat
                        IMO a targeted ketogenic diet with weekly refeeds(carb-ups) is my favorite way of dieting and most would see great success if they followed this approach.
                        I agree totally!! For most people it is knowing how to do it properly!! And thanks for clarifying the glucose thing for me, Lovetoeat! There is so much to learn out there...you are a wealth of information...keep it coming my brotha!! ;) :)

Comment

I need to give this shit a try also cause Im about to cut up without gear and alot of cardio. Trying to lose some body fat for me to show my abs. Havent seen them in 2 years now.:confused:

Comment

Cory~

Are you in the nutrition field?

Comment

today i stared cardio and diet low carb

Comment

Working...
                              X