Quick Oats vs. Rolled Oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Oats vs. Rolled Oats

So, I was doing some reading over the weekend and read somewhere that quick oats have a higher GI than unprocessed rolled oats. Does anyone have any info on this?

I can see both sides....Like since they are quick oats, they are processed, stripping some of the nutrients. But can stripping nutrients actually have a higher GI effect?:(

Those rolled oats take forever to cook....

Re: Quick Oats vs. Rolled Oats

Originally posted by redsquirrel
    So, I was doing some reading over the weekend and read somewhere that quick oats have a higher GI than unprocessed rolled oats. Does anyone have any info on this?

I can see both sides....Like since they are quick oats, they are processed, stripping some of the nutrients. But can stripping nutrients actually have a higher GI effect?:(

Those rolled oats take forever to cook....
    well I would think the more simple a product is the faster it gets broken down/absorbed. The more processed something is the more ready it is to be taken up in the blood stream quickly with minimum processing by the body.

Comment

Whatever you were reading could've been talking about the flavored quick oats which I'm sure you know are packed full of sugar and garbage. The regular plain old quick oats are nothing more than cut up portions of the large rolled oats which allows them to be cooked a little faster. I compared the ingredients and they are exactly the same, 100% rolled oats.

Comment

That's what I was thinking....that it was the flavor packets...I thought the article said it was plain quick oats. I'm with you though. Thanks for clearing it up!

Comment

Don't know if this helps any but it's a lot of reading if you feel like it. I'm assuming the steamed thin oats are refering to quick oats and the thick oats are the rolled oats.

http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/9/2207

Comment

King I wasn't aware that the regular oats are larger than the quick ones. I am looking at a Quaker instant and Quaker Traditional right now and see no difference. Is this what you were talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Cmsmallzz
              King I wasn't aware that the regular oats are larger than the quick ones. I am looking at a Quaker instant and Quaker Traditional right now and see no difference. Is this what you were talking about?
              Hmm, I have the quaker Quick Oats and they look much smaller than traditional oats. I'm going to have to go to the store and get some regular oats so i can do a comparison pic! Do you have the Quaker Quick oats or the flavored quick oats?

Comment

sorry to add this, but ive heard several times that quick cooking oats do have a higher gi rating than normal rolled outs. my sources could be wrong but thats always been my understanding. i still eat the quick cooking variety because they're so much easier and also, they still are a whole grain carb. ill look into it more though and see if i can find out what the exact gi ratings are
                Last edited by Jordan; 09-21-04, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by king
                  Hmm, I have the quaker Quick Oats and they look much smaller than traditional oats. I'm going to have to go to the store and get some regular oats so i can do a comparison pic! Do you have the Quaker Quick oats or the flavored quick oats?
                  My bad Bro...you were right and I was looking at the wrong carton. LOL...I filled an old quick oats carton with some of the traditional oats I bought in bulk.

Comment

Working...
                  X