Thoughts on: Quinoa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on: Quinoa

Has anybody ever ate this before. A friend from the gym was talking to me about it, good things mentioned.

Quinoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've eaten it before. I like it. It is pronounced (keen-wah). It is kind of like rice but smaller. I enjoyed dumping red pepper soup over it.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone View Post
      I've eaten it before. I like it. It is pronounced (keen-wah). It is kind of like rice but smaller. I enjoyed dumping red pepper soup over it.
      sounds good brother. Im going to go and check it out tomorrow at the groceries. Do you eat it alone or can it be eaten with other proteins such as lean meats, tilapia, and/or chicken breasts.

Comment

Since it is a grain and not an animal protein, you should not have it by itself. I'd use it as a side dish w/chicken, fish, or beef. If not meat, then at least a bean of some sort to create a complete protein. So no, I wouldn't recommend it by itself.

I think you'll like it though.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone View Post
          Since it is a grain and not an animal protein, you should not have it by itself. I'd use it as a side dish w/chicken, fish, or beef. If not meat, then at least a bean of some sort to create a complete protein. So no, I wouldn't recommend it by itself.

I think you'll like it though.

thank you bro. I thought of making it with some form of beans (lima) and/or with some protein such as fish, meat, or chicken. Going to store and purchase some today. Keep you all updated on it.

Comment

Great source of healthy carbs and a good amount of protein to boot. I prefer the red variety - add some butter and a little parmesan cheese - tastes great. It can be used as a rice substitute. You can also make it into a porridge. Quinoa is a complete protein. I don't know where people get this notion that plant-based proteins are incomplete - they are complete proteins but are often low in one or more amino acids as compared to protein derived from animals.
            Last edited by gdbear65; 10-27-08, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I eat it along with Kamut and Spelt grains in place of my morning Oatmeal. I try to avoid Gluten.

Comment

seems like once of those nonsense foods to me. sure, its fine to eat but give me good old fashioned brown rice, yams, oatmeal, and i am good.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                  seems like once of those nonsense foods to me. sure, its fine to eat but give me good old fashioned brown rice, yams, oatmeal, and i am good.
                  you should check out the nutritional profile - it is a great source of complex carbs, high in protein as well as manganese, magnesium, iron, tryptophan, copper and phosphorus

WHFoods: Quinoa

Comment

Working...
                  X