Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

I like the idea of a crockpot, but I don't ever really find anything to make that's all that good. I made this yesterday, and really liked it. It's a bit spicy!

1 onion, chopped
    1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans
    1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer (you could use chicken broth, but I really liked it with the beer)
    2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
    1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
    3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I used the boneless, skinless tenders - and I'd guess you could cut the chicken up before instead of after)
    shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)

sour cream (optional)
    crushed tortilla chips (optional)

1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients.

2. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
    Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled.
    Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours.

Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.

Man, that looks good. I'm guessing the chicken is more tender using the method you described, but since I'm all about convenience, I'm going to cut mine up before hand and just let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofBone View Post
      Man, that looks good. I'm guessing the chicken is more tender using the method you described, but since I'm all about convenience, I'm going to cut mine up before hand and just let it go.

I cooked mine for about 7 hours before I shredded it, and it was so quick and easy. I really just took a fork to the tenders and sort of cut/shed them.

Comment

Ok, ok...you convinced me...I won't be a lazy ass. :)

Comment

I need a crockpot now - that made me hungry reading it and it's 6am :D

Comment

Originally posted by fog_hat1981 View Post
            I need a crockpot now - that made me hungry reading it and it's 6am :D

I'll share mine, I have a lot left. :)

Comment

i have one and it never gets used.

i think i will make this up for my saturday cheat meal. i will make the "dirty" version. tortilla chips, real cheese, real sour cream etc..

thanks fb, i think i will enjoy this.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                I'll share mine, I have a lot left. :)
                Never got any :breakit:

Comment

Originally posted by fog_hat1981 View Post
                  Never got any :breakit:

You have to answer the phone first...

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                    I like the idea of a crockpot, but I don't ever really find anything to make that's all that good. I made this yesterday, and really liked it. It's a bit spicy!

1 onion, chopped
                    1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
                    1 (15 ounce) can black beans
                    1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
                    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
                    1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer (you could use chicken broth, but I really liked it with the beer)
                    2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
                    1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
                    3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I used the boneless, skinless tenders - and I'd guess you could cut the chicken up before instead of after)
                    shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)

sour cream (optional)
                    crushed tortilla chips (optional)

1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients.

2. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
                    Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled.
                    Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours.

Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.

that sounds delicious. I like using crockpots for meals.

Comment

Working...
                    X