canned tuna and mecury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canned tuna and mecury

There’s been a lot of concern about mercury in tuna. It occurs naturally in the environment and fish absorb it from seawater as it passes through their gills. The highest levels are found in predatory fish such as shark, barramundi and southern bluefin tuna, which tend to be big, long-lived and near the top of the food chain.

Mercury’s a powerful neurotoxin - in the nineteenth century hatters really did go mad because they were exposed to mercury used in the production of felt. Unborn babies have been thought to be particularly at risk because their rapidly developing brain is likely to be much more sensitive to mercury exposure than brain tissue in older children and adults.

However, a recent study that focussed on the Seychelles, where fish is a major component of the diet, found no evidence that children’s brain development was hindered by exposure to mercury. And other recent research suggests that the mercury is in a form that makes it a lot less likely to be toxic than scientists previously thought.

Our food regulator Food Standards Australia New Zealand, has advised that canned tuna is safe in any case because the smaller, short-lived species now used for canning accumulate a lot less mercury than the southern bluefin that was used in the past.

What do you guys think about this? Do you limit your tuna intake because of mecury?

Comment

I actually stick to salmon more. Don't eat much canned tuna like i used to.

Comment

I eat one can of tuna every day and have been doing this for years.

Comment

Originally posted by iceman1800 View Post
          I eat one can of tuna every day and have been doing this for years.
          1 can? that must really fill you up..

Comment

don't eat much of it - it's too expensive to buy fresh, so I go with salmon instead

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
              1 can? that must really fill you up..
              LOL, I do eat more meals than that during the day... :)

Comment

sounds like propagada to me

no way i wouldnt eat it every day. albacore canned tuna has high levels of contaminants. canned tune is cheap low grade tuna and thats why I used eat it all the itme. i personsally opt for the sushi grade tuna now and then. plus the way they get the fish is by nets and they kill sea turtles, sharks, birds, dophins, etc. terrible on the ecosystem if you care about the kinda shit.

Link
                Canned white/albacore tuna - Seafood Selector - Environmental Defense Fund

Health Details
                Due to elevated mercury levels we recommend:
                Adults should eat no more than 3-4 meals per month (US, British fishery)
                Kids age 6-12 should eat no more than 2 meals per month
                Kids up to age 6 should eat no more than 1 meal per month

Eco Details
                Canned white tuna consists of albacore. Some populations of this highly migratory tuna are healthier than others.
                Albacore fisheries in the U.S. and British Columbia are well managed, using pole-and-line gear that results in almost no bycatch.
                Most other fisheries for albacore, including those for canned white tuna, use longlines, which often catch sea turtles, seabirds and sharks.
                Last edited by NYCmitch25; 12-06-08, 10:06 AM.

Comment

fuck tuna. wild salmon is pretty much the the only fish i eat.

Comment

Working...
                  X