FIBER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIBER

Always wanted to know this but when one eats foods high in fiber or adds such products such as metamucil (sp)to diet do the nurtients like proteins, carbs, and fats get absorbed by the body or do they get pooped away.

Thing is that I got checked by the doctor last year because of some stomach problems I had. Determined I was lactose intolerant and had gastris... (however you spell it) and body needs fiber. So I try to have some foods with fiber and when the foods do not contain fiber I take some metamucil. Since products like these work fast at times, is it possible that nutrients do not get properly absorbed by the body.

Sup Juice,

I think your a bit confused. The body uses fiber to help digestion. You will actually improve absorbtion of nutrients. other benifits are disease prevention, rerelieving constipation, and weight control.

Fiber works in the body this way...
    Mouth
    Makes work, slows ingestion, cleans teeth

Stomach
    Dilutes contents, distends, prolongs retention of food

Small intestine
    Dilutes contents, distends, slows absorption

Right colon
    Dilutes, distends, feeds bacteria and so acidifies contents

Left colon
    Nourishes the colon, speeds up passage, lowers pressures

Rectum, anus
    Softens and enlarges stool, prevents trauma to the body, reduces strain of defecation

I wouldn't use the fiber supplement alone. Supplements provide only a very restricted type of fiber. Make sure you get soluble (fruits) and insoluble fiber (grains) sources

The following foods are good sources of fiber:

*Whole grains (bran has the highest fiber content); this includes breads and cereals, whole-grain pastas, and brown rice
    *Nuts and seeds
    *Legumes (such as dried peas, beans, lentils)
    *Fruits
    *Vegetables

A dietary supplement of fiber products such as Citrucel or Metamucil, which are mixed with water and provide about 4 to 6 grams of fiber in each 8-ounce glass

Avoid white or processed flour at all costs.
    Last edited by NYCmitch25; 12-27-08, 08:42 AM.

Comment

important thing is to not change your fiber consumption very fast. you have to build up to it, otherwise it will fuck up your poop schedule. lol

dont go over board with the fiber either, if you eat foods like oats, brown rice, green veggies, etc.. you are fine.

Comment

Thanks for the info NYC. I always believed that you just poop all the good stuff out since fiber works so fast.

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
        important thing is to not change your fiber consumption very fast. you have to build up to it, otherwise it will fuck up your poop schedule. lol

dont go over board with the fiber either, if you eat foods like oats, brown rice, green veggies, etc.. you are fine.

Im good when it comes to schedule.

I try to limit myself on the amount of fiber I eat.

Another problem I have is that my body cannot properly digest certain foods. Thats why I take fiber. Like before I can tolerate oatmeal and I would it it like nothing. Now, body cant properly digest it. Same goes with peanut butter, before all good and now get sick at times. When I eat meat, I cant properly digest it and get nasty heartburns. The doctor told me to eliminated certain foods such as those that contain lactose, carbonated drinks, greasy foods (fatty), alcohol, and a few others.

Another example is when I drink a power aid or gator-aid, the drink just passes straight through my stomach and comes out as fast as I drank it. Body cant handle it, guess the coloring has to do with it.

In a way Im glad the doctor told me to eliminate certain foods because I get to eat healthy foods but in a way it sucks cause I cannot eat one slice or pizza or a chocolate bar without getting bloated or sick.

Comment

excellent thread. thanks. i was going to post up a question along the lines of this but this answers it all

Comment

i use a psyllium husk supplement....best fiber I have ever used. about 15-20 grams a day. in conjunction with a good diet makes me feel so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by JUICE View Post
              Thanks for the info NYC. I always believed that you just poop all the good stuff out since fiber works so fast.

Im good when it comes to schedule.

I try to limit myself on the amount of fiber I eat.

Another problem I have is that my body cannot properly digest certain foods. Thats why I take fiber. Like before I can tolerate oatmeal and I would it it like nothing. Now, body cant properly digest it. Same goes with peanut butter, before all good and now get sick at times. When I eat meat, I cant properly digest it and get nasty heartburns. The doctor told me to eliminated certain foods such as those that contain lactose, carbonated drinks, greasy foods (fatty), alcohol, and a few others.

Another example is when I drink a power aid or gator-aid, the drink just passes straight through my stomach and comes out as fast as I drank it. Body cant handle it, guess the coloring has to do with it.

In a way Im glad the doctor told me to eliminate certain foods because I get to eat healthy foods but in a way it sucks cause I cannot eat one slice or pizza or a chocolate bar without getting bloated or sick.
              do you have stress/anxiety? not saying this is a cause but i see it all the time. people think they "their body dosent handle the food" when in fact they are so stressed out their stomach is in knots.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                do you have stress/anxiety? not saying this is a cause but i see it all the time. people think they "their body dosent handle the food" when in fact they are so stressed out their stomach is in knots.
                that too was and is a factor. When I stress out, watch out stomach goes crazy. Since I was a kid never had this problem and the lactose problem was non-existent. Eventually within time, mostly during my high school years I started noticing a change when I ate certain foods. These college years my stress was high and had the most problems. Funny thing is that this summer was my worst when it came to stress that when I was reading for my summer classes, I would notice hair on my textbook. Hair was falling off big time.

Comment

Originally posted by JUICE View Post
                  that too was and is a factor. When I stress out, watch out stomach goes crazy. Since I was a kid never had this problem and the lactose problem was non-existent. Eventually within time, mostly during my high school years I started noticing a change when I ate certain foods. These college years my stress was high and had the most problems. Funny thing is that this summer was my worst when it came to stress that when I was reading for my summer classes, I would notice hair on my textbook. Hair was falling off big time.
                  yea, sounds like you are a stressed out kind of guy, you let shit get to you and then you dwell on it. you get some kind of physical problem and dwell on it, this in turn makes it worse and worse.

i would be willing to bet that you dont have any type of problem per say besides stress induced.

calm down, get your meals in order and you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X