college diet help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• college diet help?

i'm a full time student, planning on spending about 9-10 hours on campus a couple times a week. i've been running the past few weeks and eating pretty healthily. i'm talking chicken breast twice a day, some carbs (usually some rice or bread) and veggies throughout the day. the issue is that once school starts up, my diet might go down the shitter. i'm planning on still running a couple times a week and keeping my morning and early afternoon diet on track (breakfast is usually eggs and toast, lunch is usually chicken breast and some veggies). any ideas on how to eat healthy on campus? thanks!

just have to plan ahead.

make your meals the night before. cook up a bunch of rice and chicken and put them in tupper wear etc..

Comment

Originally posted by dbjmofo View Post
      i'm a full time student, planning on spending about 9-10 hours on campus a couple times a week. i've been running the past few weeks and eating pretty healthily. i'm talking chicken breast twice a day, some carbs (usually some rice or bread) and veggies throughout the day. the issue is that once school starts up, my diet might go down the shitter. i'm planning on still running a couple times a week and keeping my morning and early afternoon diet on track (breakfast is usually eggs and toast, lunch is usually chicken breast and some veggies). any ideas on how to eat healthy on campus? thanks!

I am also a full time student

and hey we go to the same college :D

Just do what i do. Big cooler, food inside. Go to the commons and warm up food in the microwave. Carry organic un-salted peanuts in your bag. Munch on those.
      I know your schedule, and its going to be difficult to manage around it. Make sure to drink plenty of water a day, aim for .5 gallon

As far as morning. Ditch the toast, oatmeal is better. Don't tell me you don't have it, because your dad eats. Just blend it like i do, and i know you remember.

don't run on MWF, because i know you have class all day. So run Tues, thurs, sat (sun sometimes)

Comment

Bouncer, i am trying to get her metabolism boosting. Ever sense she started cardio, it has helped. Its just her diet that's playing an issue.

Every time she is over, she won't eat my food because it is tasteless. So she eats a little of my parents food which is full of sodium and flavor.

I also know that women's bodies react differently to diets. so i don't know where to start, so i put her on a similar diet to mine, and so far she has noticed weigh loss.
        All i can say is start at the Women's fitness and diet thread. Also, ask fitnessbrat and redsquirrel for advice.

Comment

just have to get past the taste issue, if you really want to get in good shape you will look at food as a fuel source for your body. just like you look at gas for your car. eat junk and you will look like junk. really is as simple as that.

Comment

can you give us any stats? are you currently a lean guy trying to pack on mass or are you looking to cut.

Unfortunately you really have to just try to get in the meals when you can between classes. resist the temptation for burgers fries, pizza, etc. at each meal. plan ahead especially at night when food isnt available. maybe buy some caseinate powder. def. avoid the chips, junk food, and beer (i know i know). if you drink better if you do in moderation but if look to the low carb options like hard alcohol and lite beer. eat the lean meats (turkey and chicken ), tuna fish, salmon, whole grains, red meat, and veggies. even if the dishes are fatty cuts of meat and loaded with sauces and cheese its much better than the alternative. just watch the processed flour and white bread and bagels.
            Last edited by NYCmitch25; 01-23-09, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCmitch25 View Post
              can you give us any stats? are you currently a lean guy trying to pack on mass or are you looking to cut.

Unfortunately you really have to just try to get in the meals when you can between classes. resist the temptation for burgers fries, pizza, etc. at each meal. plan ahead especially at night when food isnt available. maybe buy some caseinate powder. def. avoid the chips, junk food, and beer (i know i know). if you drink better if you do in moderation but if look to the low carb options like hard alcohol and lite beer. eat the lean meats (turkey and chicken ), tuna fish, salmon, whole grains, red meat, and veggies. even if the dishes are fatty cuts of meat and loaded with sauces and cheese its much better than the alternative. just watch the processed flour and white bread and bagels.
              its a girl bro. dna's sister.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                its a girl bro. dna's sister.
                haha. yeah, right. if i'm his sister you're our mom.

just trying to shed some fat and drop some pounds. nothing serious. i'm avoiding taking supplements. just diet and exercise has been showing me good results. trying to make sure that i don't pig out like i did last semester. i guess it's a matter of keeping to the diet i am on now. i guess i'll pack a picnic basket and sulk in the library like a nerd all day.

Comment

haha. yeah, right. if i'm his sister you're our mom.

just trying to shed some fat and drop some pounds. nothing serious. i'm avoiding taking supplements. just diet and exercise has been showing me good results. trying to make sure that i don't pig out like i did last semester. i guess it's a matter of keeping to the diet i am on now. i guess i'll pack a picnic basket and sulk in the library like a nerd all day.
                  yea, and remember a big part of diet in mental. you have to be positive about it. dont say to yourself, "this food sucks" or whatever. say "i am eating this food to improve myself. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                    yea, and remember a big part of diet in mental. you have to be positive about it. dont say to yourself, "this food sucks" or whatever. say "i am eating this food to improve myself. good luck.

So very true.

Comment

You didn't really list specifics, but it doesn't sound like you're eating much. Just make sure that if you're "grabbing" something fast, it's healthy because if you're "starving", your body is going to store that crap as fat.

Many people use "I don't have time" as an excuse to eat crappy. With your schedule, you're going to have to do as the others have already said and PLAN AHEAD. If you're going to eat 5 times a day, you should be leaving your house in the morning with 5 dishes of food. Once you get used to the routine, you'll realize how easy it is. :)

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                        You didn't really list specifics, but it doesn't sound like you're eating much. Just make sure that if you're "grabbing" something fast, it's healthy because if you're "starving", your body is going to store that crap as fat.

Many people use "I don't have time" as an excuse to eat crappy. With your schedule, you're going to have to do as the others have already said and PLAN AHEAD. If you're going to eat 5 times a day, you should be leaving your house in the morning with 5 dishes of food. Once you get used to the routine, you'll realize how easy it is. :)

She eats about 4 meals a day. Her metabolism is the issue, its not jumping like mine did. Than again everyone is different so i won't complain.

Her last meal is usually yogurt and chicken, and has slow digesting proteins in it.

I know you know your dieting and if could please give her a few tips about shedding fat and keeping in shape. Thanks.

I started her off with cardio and dieting. Its just her metabolism not increasing which is not good. Other than that, she has lost about 10lbs in a month. VERY NOTICEABLE and i am not complaining

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
                          She eats about 4 meals a day. Her metabolism is the issue, its not jumping like mine did. Than again everyone is different so i won't complain.

Her last meal is usually yogurt and chicken, and has slow digesting proteins in it.

I know you know your dieting and if could please give her a few tips about shedding fat and keeping in shape. Thanks.

I started her off with cardio and dieting. Its just her metabolism not increasing which is not good. Other than that, she has lost about 10lbs in a month. VERY NOTICEABLE and i am not complaining

Well why doesn't she post exactly what she eats. How long has she been eating properly? If she lost 10lbs in a month, then it sounds like she's on the right path - that's a good amount of weight loss.

Can't talk about shedding fat without knowing what she eats. Also, what kind of cardio is she doing?

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                            Well why doesn't she post exactly what she eats. How long has she been eating properly? If she lost 10lbs in a month, then it sounds like she's on the right path - that's a good amount of weight loss.

Can't talk about shedding fat without knowing what she eats. Also, what kind of cardio is she doing?
                            I don't know her diet exactly. I am just going what she commonly eats and what she tells me mostly. I just told her to come and post her diet.

She has a treadmill in her basement. She averages about 4 days of cardio a week. Each duration of 30-40min. Her cardio consists of just running on the treadmill in the basement. Cardio is always done in the morning after meal 1. Sometimes she will do cardio on an empty stomach, and than eat afterwards.

So far so good. Its probably me just freaking out about nothin. She started this dieting about a month ago as well.

If you say she is on the right path, than that's fine.

Comment

my diet is this (water usually being my beverage throughout the day):

1) eggs and toast (1 egg white and 1 whole egg, i've been trying to increase it to 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg)

2) chicken breast and rice

3) rice and veggies (either a simple salad with lettuce, carrots and cucumbers and no dressing or a mix of carrots, peas and corn)

4) (if i can fit this in before 8) rice, veggies and either lean beef or chicken breast

5) chicken and yogurt.

i come from a middle eastern household so basmati rice is what is always made. we mainly make the white basmati but i've been making my own brown at home to eat. haven't been sticking to that too well.

usually our chicken is mildy marinated but spicy. and i prefer chicken over all other meats.

we don't use much salt because of my dad's health issues. (heart surgery double bypass)

i'll usually have a 10-12oz glass of 2% milk because my doctor said to make sure i still get that in at some point of the day (and i have to admit, i love it). i usually drink it in between meals 1 and 2 or 2 and 3.

that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X