Snacks between meals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snacks between meals?

Okay, I know what most of us typically do for protein, low carb, low fat snacks or small meals between main meals, but what can I suggest to my 16 year old niece that she can kind of enjoy and not turn to crap filled "nutrition/protein" bars or even junk food.

I have been on her case for the past 4 years because she has gone from 120lbs to 190lbs. She is only 5'5" and not very active. She was a happy teenager who got into cheerleading and softball and loving life.

However, my sister divorced her dad because he became an outrageous, and abusive alcoholic. So between the divorce and lack of father in her life she became very depressed, withdrawn, and lazy. Hence her current state.

She seems to be finally accepting that her health and life are being drastically effected by her weight gain and now willing to put forth the effort.

Problem is, she is a teenager and the drastic and strict meals that we follow are too strict and easy to give up on, imo.

I just some clean snack ideas.

Sounds gay but kashi bars. Prunes. Dried fruit of any kind. Does she like to walk/hike?

Comment

Nuts, smoothies, cottage cheese, fruits, veggies, rice cakes, yogurt, beef jerky

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
        Nuts, smoothies, cottage cheese, fruits, veggies, rice cakes, yogurt, beef jerky
        That's about all I've come up with thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by blm

That's about all I've come up with thus far.
          I was going to add.....that you already know all that. There is no secret snack that you're forgetting. :) She is going to have to get used to preparing foods in advance, and keeping strong willpower to stay away from the junk. If she's motivated, she will drop the weight fast. If she is not ready, there won't be a thing you can do to help.

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post

I was going to add.....that you already know all that. There is no secret snack that you're forgetting. :) She is going to have to get used to preparing foods in advance, and keeping strong willpower to stay away from the junk. If she's motivated, she will drop the weight fast. If she is not ready, there won't be a thing you can do to help.
            She came to visit and I crushed her emotionally by answering her question with complete honesty.

She said, I know I gained weight over the years but am I fat? I said yes. And medically speaking, you are morbidly obese. I felt terrible but everyone around her keeps telling her she looks good, she carries it well, blah blah blah. She needs the truth.

We talked for hours and I told her I would help her anyway I can but she has to make the effort. So we will see. Breaks my heart and disgusts me at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by blm

She came to visit and I crushed her emotionally by answering her question with complete honesty.

She said, I know I gained weight over the years but am I fat? I said yes. And medically speaking, you are morbidly obese. I felt terrible but everyone around her keeps telling her she looks good, she carries it well, blah blah blah. She needs the truth.

We talked for hours and I told her I would help her anyway I can but she has to make the effort. So we will see. Breaks my heart and disgusts me at the same time.
              I understand where you're coming from. I have a sister that has lost well over 100 lbs. She is probably the most stubborn person on the planet too, so that weight was staying put until she was 110% ready to lose it. The good thing for your niece is that once she is dedicated, she should start losing at a decent pace - and her skin still has lots of elasticity.

All you can be is supportive, and hopefully she's ready to get healthy. Help her with tools like My Fitness Pal, too. People love keeping track of their numbers - whether it be calories they never realized, seeing their pounds lost, etc.

Comment

Snackerjacks

Comment

how can you be 5'5 and 190 as a girl and not know you are fat? i dont understand.

is she willing to do do cardio?

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                    how can you be 5'5 and 190 as a girl and not know you are fat? i dont understand.

is she willing to do do cardio?
                    Denial is my only guess. Her expression of surprise when I told her point blank that she was fat, floored me. She seemed genuinely shocked. She said I know I'm heavier but people tell me I still look good. I told her that they're afraid to hurt her feelings with the truth.

It's sad. She was/is such a beautiful young girl but depression altered her complete lifestyle.

She claims she is willing to do whatever it takes. Time will tell. She has made such claims before but with less conviction. I hope she does.

Comment

ok so is she starting today? she needs goals and she needs a timeline. she sounds like the kind that will always "start tomorrow".

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
                        ok so is she starting today? she needs goals and she needs a timeline. she sounds like the kind that will always "start tomorrow".
                        I know. If I was in Pa I would drag her fat ass to the gym. My sister tries to keep on her but between 2 jobs and 2 smaller children she is stretched thin. I do what I can 1200 miles away.

Comment

does she like the trampoline? sorry bro i had too. :D

Comment

Get her in a serious relationship with a boy her age. Make sure she falls in love, then have the boy break up with her. All my wives stop eating when I leave, from depression I think, but I know it works. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by auri View Post
                              Get her in a serious relationship with a boy her age. Make sure she falls in love, then have the boy break up with her. All my wives stop eating when I leave, from depression I think, but I know it works. Good luck.
                              Lmfao

Comment

Working...
                              X