No announcement yet.

EVOO may increase the ability of HDL to take cholesterol out of the artery wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVOO may increase the ability of HDL to take cholesterol out of the artery wall

Study was only completed with 26 volunteers but may suggest that extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) may increase the ability of HDL to take cholesterol out of the artery wall...

Cambridge Journals Online - Abstract

"Extra-virgin olive oil consumption improves the capacity of HDL to mediate cholesterol efflux and increases ABCA1 and ABCG1 expression in human macrophages

Abstract

The present study was aimed to investigate the effect of 12 weeks of extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) consumption on the capacity of HDL to promote cholesterol efflux (CE) and to determine which CE pathways are modulated by EVOO consumption. Whole HDL and HDL2/HDL3 subclasses were isolated from the plasma of twenty-six healthy volunteers before and after 12 weeks of EVOO consumption (25 ml/d). EVOO consumption increased the capacity of serum and HDL to mediate CE from THP-1, J774 macrophages and Fu5AH cells by 9·8–24·57 %, depending on the cell type. The increase in CE was independent of both HDL concentration and subclass distribution. The three HDL-mediated CE pathways (ATP-binding cassette (ABC) A1, ABCG1 and scavenger receptor class B type I (SR-BI)) were modulated by EVOO consumption. The fluidity of the phospholipidic layer of HDL increased by 13 % (P < 0·001) following EVOO consumption compared with baseline. EVOO consumption also increased the release of excess cholesterol from human monocyte-derived macrophages (HMDM) by 44 % (P < 0·001), and ABCA1 and ABCG1 mRNA transcription by 16·08 % (P < 0·001) and 35·79 % (P < 0·01), respectively. The protein expression of these two cholesterol transporters also increased after EVOO consumption. In contrast, SR-BI mRNA and protein expression in HMDM were significantly lower after 12 weeks of EVOO consumption. Incubating J774 macrophages with EVOO polyphenol extracts induced a concentration-dependent up-regulation of ABCA1 and ABCG1 expression in macrophages. After 12 weeks of EVOO consumption, the capacity of HDL to mediate CE was improved and the ability of HMDM to release excess cholesterol was enhanced by increasing the expression of ABCA1 and ABCG1 transporters.

Presumably fish oils do the same but better then

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
      Presumably fish oils do the same but better then
      how much you take? i take 3 caps 3 times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
        how much you take? i take 3 caps 3 times a day.
        you fat fuck, I take three when I'm remember

Comment

when you remember. ehh.

3 caps just isnt enough to get the benefits.

Comment

Your gonna OD pill poppa lol

Comment

Sample size needs to be bigger, and I would like to read the entire study. The abstract really doesn't give us enough info, too bad they wan't $30 to read the full article.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo3000 View Post
                Sample size needs to be bigger, and I would like to read the entire study. The abstract really doesn't give us enough info, too bad they wan't $30 to read the full article.

26 volunteers :rolleyes:

And seriously, $30? That's enough to say BS!

Comment

Working...
                X