Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrumhalf
    replied
    You need to run a deficit to lose fat. Something like RFL combines a caloric deficit with low carbs to make the body use fat as fuel. You increase your protein intake yo make sure you don't lose muscle mass.

Leave a comment:

• Scrumhalf
    replied
    Everyone has some general ideas on CKD. But most of them don't really take a scientific approach to it.

The basic idea is to deplete muscle glycogen by lowering your carb intake, which forces the body to burn fat. This takes 2 or 3 days to happen. Then you spend 2 or 3 days in thus fat burning mode at which point the body's metabolism figures out something is wrong and the process loses efficiency.

That's when the refeeds come in. By eating carbs, you force the body to replenish glycogen preferentially without having it convert the carbs to fat. This sets you up for the next cycle.

There's obviously a science to this insofar as timing, amount of carbs, etc are concerned, which is why you want to do a good well-researched routine instead of just someone cobbling together something and calling it a CKD.

Leave a comment:

• AvidFisherman
    replied
    Scrumhalf, did you mean, The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter and Practitioner? The Rapid Fat Loss book is about a high caloric deficit diet. I still think I will read it though, it seems pretty interesting.

Leave a comment:

• AvidFisherman
    replied
    Thanks, I just downloaded it. I was going off of information I read on various forums and blogs but this seems more concrete of information.

Leave a comment:

• Scrumhalf
    replied
    Your ketogenic diet should have instructions on refeeds. Otherwise it's not a very good ketogenic diet.

If you want a good one, get Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss. Best CKD-type that I know of. You will suffer but you will drop fat like crazy.

Leave a comment:

• AvidFisherman
    replied
    I have started a ketogenic diet but I do not know how often I should refeed? Some sources say its not necessary, other sources say have a day committed to high carbohydrates, others say have one meal with high carbohydrates will suffice. Does anyone have opinions on the matter?

Leave a comment:

• chuckz28
    replied
    Definetly tough to handle physically and mentally. Feel like shit and just want to sleep all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Scrumhalf
    replied
    Works great. Requires a lot of discipline and willingness to suffer.

But there are a lot more details. You've got to have weekly refeeds where you carb up. It's called a CKD (cyclic ketogenic diet).
    Last edited by Scrumhalf; 06-04-15, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AvidFisherman
    replied
    I just read the article on ketosis and did some more research on ketogenic diets, what do you all think of me cutting out the fruit and oats and adding in 2 tbs of natural peanut butter? That will put my carbs down to 63.

Leave a comment:

• AvidFisherman
    replied
    Aright, I have tweaked my diet enough to think I am good to go. The fish is interchangeable with chicken and the broccoli is interchangeable with carrots or cauliflower. Some of you might think that I am taking too many protein shakes, this is the only way I have found to have close to enough protein and be at or under my caloric goals.

Breakfast
    Broccoli, raw, 1 cup chopped
    Quakers - Oatmeal, 40 g
    Cod - Atlantic - Fillet, 4 ounces (112g)
    Prairie Farms Cottage Cheese 50% Less Sodium - Low Fat/Low Sodium Cottage Cheese, 0.5 cup

Lunch
    Avacado - Medium, 0.5 medium
    Cod - Atlantic - Fillet, 4 ounces (112g)
    Prairie Farms Cottage Cheese 50% Less Sodium - Low Fat/Low Sodium Cottage Cheese, 0.5 cup

Dinner
    Avacado - Medium, 0.5 medium
    Cod - Atlantic - Fillet, 8 ounces (112g)
    Lettus (Iceburg - Salad, 2 cup
    Carrots - Shredded Carrots, 0.25 cup
    Hidden Valley - Ranch Dressing, 2 tbsp (30 g)

Snacks
    Optimum Nutrition - Whey Isolate x 3, 96 g
    Optimum Nutrition - Caesin, 1 scoop
    Apples, raw, with skin, 1 medium (3" dia)
    Fruit - Bananna, 1 medium (118 g)
    Wild Planet - Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon , 1 container (168 g (2oz) ea.)
    Wild Planet - White Anchovies In Water, 1 container (3 oz (56g) drained ea.)
    Metamucil - Fiber Supplement- Orange, 2 rounded Tbsp

Total ..... 2,037.. 48... ..268... 2,695... 125.... 31
    Daily Goal 1,930.. 64 ...290.. ..2,300. ..241... 38
    ........... Calories Fat Protein Sodium Carbs Fiber
    Last edited by AvidFisherman; 06-04-15, 01:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bouncer
    replied
    Originally posted by AvidFisherman View Post
    I guess I was not paying attention, I am having 6 shakes a day, what do you suggest I do for shakes, a post workout whey shake and a casein shake before bed? I will have to come up with some other protein sources for breakfast and my in-between meals at work.
    Exactly bro, they would be the 2 best times. Replace the others with chicken. Simple and cheap. These 10 lb bags from Costco are a life saver for me.

Leave a comment:

• AvidFisherman
    replied
    I am counting around 56 grams of fat and 331 grams of protein and 300 grams of total carbohydrates.
    Last edited by AvidFisherman; 04-10-15, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chuckz28
    replied
    Do you know how many grams of fats carbs and protein you are getting each day? Seems like a high amount of carbs in there.

Leave a comment:

• AvidFisherman
    replied
    I guess I was not paying attention, I am having 6 shakes a day, what do you suggest I do for shakes, a post workout whey shake and a casein shake before bed? I will have to come up with some other protein sources for breakfast and my in-between meals at work.

Leave a comment:

• AvidFisherman
    replied
    I am worried if I take out my shakes I will have trouble eating enough protein through the day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X