gut bacteria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gut bacteria

I just had a crazy series of thoughts... I read articles about obese mice and skinny mice, how scientists transfer gut bacteria from one mouse to the other to other to make them skinny or fat. I also remember reading articles that read, that if you eat unhealthy food, the bacteria that likes that type of food propagate in your gut and releases chemicals to make you crave the unhealthy foods. The same with healthy food, the if you eat a lot of healthy food the bacteria in your gut that thrives on the healthy food flourishes and makes chemicals that signal you to eat more of the healthy food.

All of you probably know what I just wrote but this is where my crazy thinking comes in. I am on antibiotics right now and these antibiotics have a tendency to kill the microbes in your gut. If obese people have a lot of the unhealthy food loving gut bacteria, once they go on antibiotics and kill off a lot of their gut bacteria, wouldn't it be easier for them to turn a new leaf and eat healthy food, replenishing their gut with healthy food loving bacteria?

That answer would be impossible to know without a whole lot of scientific data. Your making a lot of assumptions that may or may not be based in reality.

I would say the better option would be to consume probiotics which has been proven to enhance health on many levels. I eat some everyday.

Comment

That settles it, I'm going back to grad school for a degree in Biology and I'll use this idea for my thesis.

Comment

Ha. Its not a particularly bad thought process. I just think there is more to understand about antibiotics effect on gut bacteria and its relation to health or its likely hood of healthy eating. We should make assumptions about nothing and only trust fact.

Comment

Yeah, I just brought this theory up to my boss and he said the same thing. Lol. I'm going to stalk the biology department and try to convince some professor to do some research on this idea.

Comment

What do you do avid? Teacher at university?

Comment

No, my friends in my cohort tried to get me to go that route but I do not like speaking in front of groups, so now I am a low level professional.

Comment

Originally posted by AvidFisherman View Post
                If obese people have a lot of the unhealthy food loving gut bacteria, once they go on antibiotics and kill off a lot of their gut bacteria, wouldn't it be easier for them to turn a new leaf and eat healthy food, replenishing their gut with healthy food loving bacteria?

It takes a lot more than healthy flora to "turn a new leaf." Obesity often coincides with emotional/behavioral issues, so bacteria isn't going to change their relationship and how they think/feel about food.

However, I will say that while YOU are taking antibiotics, you should definitely add in some probiotics. I try to drink this everyday.

What Is Kefir? - Lifeway KefirLifeway Kefir

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                  It takes a lot more than healthy flora to "turn a new leaf." Obesity often coincides with emotional/behavioral issues, so bacteria isn't going to change their relationship and how they think/feel about food.

However, I will say that while YOU are taking antibiotics, you should definitely add in some probiotics. I try to drink this everyday.

What Is Kefir? - Lifeway KefirLifeway Kefir
                  there actually is new evidence supporting the idea that gut bacteria actually does in fact influence emotional/behavioral patterns. I posted a study a couple months ago, I'll look for it.

Comment

Here FB.

http://www.superiormuscle.com/forums...ety-depression

http://www.superiormuscle.com/forums...te-human-brain

Comment

For anyone looking to add Probiotics to their diet. Here's a small list.

Top Foods With Probiotics

Yogurt. Yogurt is one of the most familiar sources of probiotics -- "good" bacteria that keep a healthy balance in your gut.

Sauerkraut Boosts Digestion.

Miso Soup.

Soft Cheeses.

Kefir: Probiotic-Filled Drink.

Sourdough Bread.

Milk With Probiotics.

Sour Pickles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                        there actually is new evidence supporting the idea that gut bacteria actually does in fact influence emotional/behavioral patterns. I posted a study a couple months ago, I'll look for it.

Yes, and the kefir link I posted mentions something similar as one of it's "pros" to probiotics. However, there is no way that is enough lol.

Comment

The probiotics in most foods is not enough. I assumed it was until my daughter had some GI issues. We gave her yogurt and smoothies with probiotics to no avail. The Dr suggested Culturelle and within days her issues reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
                            The probiotics in most foods is not enough. I assumed it was until my daughter had some GI issues. We gave her yogurt and smoothies with probiotics to no avail. The Dr suggested Culturelle and within days her issues reversed.

Florastor also works well. :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat View Post
                              Florastor also works well. :thumb:
                              There was another one he gave us at a different time that required refrigeration but I can't recall what it was. That was when she had rotavirus and got wiped out by IV antibiotics though.

I gained a whole new appreciation for probiotics and health gut flora after that. Truly made all the difference in a suffering little girl.

Comment

Working...
                              X