No announcement yet.

The U.S. Dietary Guidelines: A Scientific Fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The govt should adopt this food pyramid/apple. I believe this one falls in line with the latest science (of course this can always change, but based on what we know right now, this one is much more scientifically aligned):

Comment

No peanuts... why is coffee and tea in the same category as alchol?

Comment

yea i'm not sure I agree fully mooch. Like avid said. There are tons and tons of recent studies that show just how beneficial coffee can be for a whole host of issues. I've posted a whole bunch of articles and studies in the the nutrition articles section.

no grains at all means no rice or oats. oats are my staple and I feel great and look great on them. they keep my digestive track clear and energy sustained for hours.

based on my own experience I cannot go along with that chart you posted.

Comment

Though, I think it looks better than the food pyramid.

Comment

Originally posted by AvidFisherman View Post
            No peanuts... why is coffee and tea in the same category as alchol?
            The chart is not saying that is a bad category. The only thing that is bad is in the do not eat section. This chart is saying you SHOULD consume coffee, tea, and alcohol. It's just showing a smaller portion of it there, same with Chocolate. Eat chocolate, but don't eat more Chocolate than you do vegetables. Make sense?

If it's bad then it's either in the do not eat or not on there at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
              no grains at all means no rice or oats. oats are my staple and I feel great and look great on them. they keep my digestive track clear and energy sustained for hours.

based on my own experience I cannot go along with that chart you posted.
              Yeah. I'm 100% anti-grain. No rice, wheat, oats. It's all bad in my book. You probably respond well to the oats due to the fiber but you can get the fiber elsewhere without the inflammation the oats cause. I think some people can tolerate grains better than others, but I think the latest science right now is looking at inflammation and grains are inflammatory. Fiber can kinda counter balance the bad though and it sounds like you are getting that from your oats.

The fact that he has grains and peanuts/legumes in the same category as Sugar and vegetable oils is making a pretty strong statement.
              Last edited by Keiser; 03-19-16, 01:49 AM.

Comment

yea i'm not sure I agree fully mooch. Like avid said. There are tons and tons of recent studies that show just how beneficial coffee can be for a whole host of issues. I've posted a whole bunch of articles and studies in the the nutrition articles section.
                Yeah coffee is good to go. I drink it daily and belive 100% in the health benefits of coffee. Like I said above, that chart is telling you that drinking coffee is OK. Alcohol too. (But Sugar is not OK so don't put sugar in your coffee or alcohol).

Comment

Originally posted by M00chie69 View Post
                  The chart is not saying that is a bad category. The only thing that is bad is in the do not eat section. This chart is saying you SHOULD consume coffee, tea, and alcohol. It's just showing a smaller portion of it there, same with Chocolate. Eat chocolate, but don't eat more Chocolate than you do vegetables. Make sense?

If it's bad then it's either in the do not eat or not on there at all.
                  I get what your saying but I think putting coffee in with alcohol is a mistake. If it's saying you SHOULD consume coffee it's also saying you SHOULD consume alcohol which I'm not sure is a great recommendation for a nutritional guidance chart.

The way it's laid out it's either saying coffee isn't very healthy or the opposite, that alcohol IS healthy!

Now I'm not saying alcohol is the worst thing in the world but I don't think it should be praised as something that is healthy either. IMO coffee either deserves more praise in the chart or alcohol deserves less. Putting them together implies something that I think most people would take the wrong way.

Comment

The same type of studies saying Coffee is beneficial are also saying wine is beneficial. Coffee for Alzheimer and certain cancers and wine for cardiovascular disease.

Comment

Originally posted by M00chie69 View Post
                      The same type of studies saying Coffee is beneficial are also saying wine is beneficial. Coffee for Alzheimer and certain cancers and wine for cardiovascular disease.
                      ok i agree there. it should say wine though. its not the alcohol in wine thats beneficial.

Comment

ok i agree there. it should say wine though. its not the alcohol in wine thats beneficial.
                        Agree.

Comment

I'll keep my eating habits the same they are now, very good. I eat peanut butter and will always do so. Fucking pie charts America has and yet full of fat asses all over.

Just eat right, it's not hard. If it doesn't benefit you, toss it....but again, everyone has their own eating habits. Oats are amazing, simple fact. Everyone is so concerned abut these charts yet no one is remotely doing it....

Comment

Originally posted by rado View Post
                            I'll keep my eating habits the same they are now, very good. I eat peanut butter and will always do so. Fucking pie charts America has and yet full of fat asses all over.

Just eat right, it's not hard. If it doesn't benefit you, toss it....but again, everyone has their own eating habits. Oats are amazing, simple fact. Everyone is so concerned abut these charts yet no one is remotely doing it....
                            Rado, this is not a very intelligent way of approaching things. What if some clearly defined studies come out which say peanuts reduce your performance and mental clarity. They won't kill you but you'll be operating at like 80% with a cloudy/foggy head and you'll be about 80% in the gym concerning strength and endurance? What if just simply eliminating peanuts and peanut butter gave you that 20% back. Would you do it?

Same for Oats. (You say oats are amazing, simple fact). Based on what? You might just "think" oats are super healthy so you get the placebo affect when you eat them. (By the way, I feel good when I eat oats too because they make me more regular and typically the more I go to the bathroom and eliminate waste, the better I feel). I'm on the fence, personally with oats, but I'm experimenting with some fiber supplementation to see if I get the same results just by upping my fiber.

When you say "eat right". What exactly does that mean? That used to mean cutting out all saturated fat and eating margarine and trans fats instead of butter for example. "Eat Right" changes as new science comes out.

I try to be open minded and am willing to change my diet based on the research and of course my own experimentation, but I can tell you one thing. Peanuts and peanut butter make me feel awful and I never really noticed it before when I was big into bodybuilding. I thought I was just tired and sluggish after a long day of work or after a workout, but it really was hurting my performance and I never realized it because all of the bodybuilding literature I had ever read said Peanut Butter was amazing, so I never let myself realize that's what was bringing me down.

Comment

Working...
                            X