Splenda May Help Cause Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splenda May Help Cause Cancer

Background: Sucralose is an organochlorine artificial sweetener approximately 600 times sweeter than sucrose and used in over 4,500 products. Long-term carcinogenicity bioassays on rats and mice conducted on behalf of the manufacturer have failed to show the evidence of carcinogenic effects.

Objective: The aim of this study was to evaluate the carcinogenic effect of sucralose in mice, using a sensitive experimental design.
    Methods: Five groups of male (total n = 457) and five groups female (total n = 396) Swiss mice were treated from 12 days of gestation through the lifespan with sucralose in their feed at concentrations of 0, 500, 2,000, 8,000, and 16,000 ppm.

Results: We found a significant dose-related increased incidence of males bearing malignant tumors (p < 0.05) and a significant dose-related increased incidence (p < 0.01) of hematopoietic neoplasias in males, in particular at the dose levels of 2,000 ppm (p < 0.01) and 16,000 ppm (p < 0.01).

Conclusions: These findings do not support previous data that sucralose is biologically inert. More studies are necessary to show the safety of sucralose, including new and more adequate carcinogenic bioassay on rats. Considering that millions of people are likely exposed, follow-up studies are urgent.

Bouncer, do you have a link for the original study?

Comment

I wonder if this yields a similar result for people that use equal and/or half & half

Comment

Originally posted by dna9488 View Post
        I wonder if this yields a similar result for people that use equal and/or half & half
        Depends on what the ingredient is in those. If they use sucralose then yes.

Comment

I thought Equal is aspartame.

Comment

Interesting. Forbes has an article written by a biologist that breaks it down and more evidence supports that it lowers cancer rates than increases. There are a few updates to the article.

Forbes Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
              Yes aspartame, just double checked

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
                It is and Aspartame is nasty stuff as well.

By the way, Sucralose is just a modified chlorine molecule. I believe they just remove one oxygen bond from it and it becomes sucralose. Man made sweetener in a lab from chlorine.

Comment

That thinking is kind of flawed though. It has a propaganda feel to it.

H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide. Remove one oxygen and you have water.

Comment

Originally posted by TKD View Post
                    That thinking is kind of flawed though. It has a propaganda feel to it.

H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide. Remove one oxygen and you have water.
                    Actually I was wrong, but close. It's actually adding Chlorine atoms to a Sugar molecule.

Sucralose is made by replacing three select hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule with three chlorine atoms, resulting in an intensely sweet, no-calorie sweetener.

Everything You Need to Know About Sucralose - IFIC Foundation - Your Nutrition and Food Safety Resource

Comment

Working...
                    X