Total protein for the day and meal frequency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total protein for the day and meal frequency

Much literature currently touts the daily protein intake should be somewhere between .8g/lbs - 1.2g/lbs with some sources suggesting the upper limit should be as high as 1.4g/lbs. For me I am trying to get a little over 1g/lbs which is 318g/day.

But what about protein timing? Dr. Caoileann Murphy from McMaster University writes that our bodies are in a constant cycle of muscle loss and hypertrophy. We need to strive for a energy balance that leans on the side of muscle hypertrophy over muscle loss. How this happens is the protein in a meal will increase the amino acid content in the blood and stimulate muscle protein synthesis. Leucine is especially important for triggering muscle protein synthesis but all amino acids are needed as building blocks for the process. Both Dr. Murphy and Dr. Kevin Tipton of the University of Sirling believe we can only process around 25g/kg of protein at a time and then our body is back to its baseline and ready for another bout of muscle protein synthesis after 3 hours. The reason muscle protein synthesis cannot be maintained is the energy, adenosine triphosphate (ATP), in our cells is unable to maintain its level and declines. Our body needs to rest to recover the expended ATP. If there is extra protein, the amino acids in the blood will remain elevated, urea production and amino acid oxidation will increase, and protein synthesis will decline. This means for me I should consume at least 36g/meal of protein every 3 hours to create a positive energy balance and make muscle gains (I am going try to get 50g/meal because extra protein has other benefits in the body and I do not know how elevated hormones affect the process but I bet it increases the rate of muscle protein synthesis).

As an added bonus, protein synthesis creates a greater energy expenditure.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

This isn't really about the timing point just wanted to mention something about your protein intake.

You say your following the rule of 1 gram of protein per pound or just over that. So your total protein intake is roughly 320 grams per day. Here's the problem with that. You would admit you are holding a good amount of bodyfat correct? Probably close to something like 50lbs of bodyfat would you agree?

IMO the 1 gram per pound rule should not apply to those holding that much bodyfat. It's muscle that needs protein not bodyfat. Basically what I'm getting at is that you should be eating protein based on what you would weigh if you were lean. So something like 250lbs for you would be pretty lean right? It is my personal opinion based on my experience that if you ate a bodybuilding diet of 1 gram of protein per pound for a 250lb man you would see rapid results in bodyfat loss. Your carbs and fats should also be geared to the needs of a 250lb man, not a 300lb man.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
      This isn't really about the timing point just wanted to mention something about your protein intake.

You say your following the rule of 1 gram of protein per pound or just over that. So your total protein intake is roughly 320 grams per day. Here's the problem with that. You would admit you are holding a good amount of bodyfat correct? Probably close to something like 50lbs of bodyfat would you agree?

IMO the 1 gram per pound rule should not apply to those holding that much bodyfat. It's muscle that needs protein not bodyfat. Basically what I'm getting at is that you should be eating protein based on what you would weigh if you were lean. So something like 250lbs for you would be pretty lean right? It is my personal opinion based on my experience that if you ate a bodybuilding diet of 1 gram of protein per pound for a 250lb man you would see rapid results in bodyfat loss. Your carbs and fats should also be geared to the needs of a 250lb man, not a 300lb man.
      I like that process.its what I did when I took off my weight(50lbs):thumup:

Comment

Originally posted by lipripper View Post
        I like that process.its what I did when I took of my weight(50lbs):thumup:
        Yea I mean if you really think about it. All he is doing by eating for the requirements of a 300lb man that has 50lbs of bodyfat to lose is feeding that 50lbs of bodyfat. That's the opposite of what you want to be doing. You want to starve that 50lbs of bodyfat so that you can get rid of it. So yea, eat for the requirements of your ideal weight, not the requirements of that 50 extra pounds fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
          Yea I mean if you really think about it. All he is doing by eating for the requirements of a 300lb man that has 50lbs of bodyfat to lose is feeding that 50lbs of bodyfat. That's the opposite of what you want to be doing. You want to starve that 50lbs of bodyfat so that you can get rid of it. So yea, eat for the requirements of your ideal weight, not the requirements of that 50 extra pounds fat.
          I have thought on this as well. That is why when I calculate my TDEE I account for body fat.

Also, does anyone know how our extra hormones affect ATP?

Comment

Originally posted by AvidFisherman View Post
            I have thought on this as well. That is why when I calculate my TDEE I account for body fat.

Also, does anyone know how our extra hormones affect ATP?

but you said your still eating 320 grams protein a day?

Comment

Even if I account for only lean body mass I am still around 1.2g/lbs. As long as I am not above the 1.4g/lbs I do not think it is a waste of calories.

Comment

Even if I account for only lean body mass I am still around 1.2g/lbs. As long as I am not above the 1.4g/lbs I do not think it is a waste of calories.

How much weight are you dropping per month on average?

Comment

5 lbs I would say.

Comment

5 lbs I would say.

That's not alot bro.. u said you taking DNP too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm only on trt currently