No announcement yet.

Scientists Challenge Recommendation That Men With More Muscle Need More Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists Challenge Recommendation That Men With More Muscle Need More Protein

https://scienmag.com/scientists-chal...-more-protein/

Sports nutrition recommendations may undergo a significant shift after research from the University of Stirling has found individuals with more muscle mass do not need more protein after resistance exercise.

Health and exercise scientists from Scotland’s University for Sporting Excellence found no difference in the muscle growth response to protein after a full body workout between larger and smaller participants.

Kevin Tipton, Professor of Sport, Health and Exercise Science in the Faculty of Health Sciences and Sport, said: “There is a widely-held assumption that larger athletes need more protein, with nutrition recommendations often given in direct relation to body mass.

“In our study, participants completed a bout of whole-body resistance exercise, where earlier studies — on which protein recommendations are based — examined the response to leg-only exercise. This difference suggests the amount of muscle worked in a single session has a bigger impact on the amount of protein needed afterwards, than the amount of muscle in the body.”

Experts also found participants’ muscles were able to grow and recover from exercise better after a higher dose of protein.

Consuming 40 grams of protein after exercise was more effective at stimulating muscle growth than 20 grams. This increase occurred irrespective of the size of the participants.

Professor Tipton continued: “Until now the consensus among leading sports nutritionists, including the American College of Sports Medicine and the British Nutrition Foundation, is that weightlifters do not need more than around 25 grams of protein after exercise to maximally stimulate the muscle’s ability to grow.

Bro science

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

I do 30 grams protein, 30 grams carbs, 5 grams creatine in my pwo shake. I eat an hour later though. Each of my food meals is 40-50 grams protein.

Comment

Originally posted by boricuarage79 View Post
        Bro science

exactly, looks like the gym bros have it figured out with eating more than the 25g of protein post workout

Comment

Did you guys even read the article?

Comment

I did.. but let's not forget about carbs post workout to spike insulin for stimulating protein synthesis...

In my personal opinion it shouldn't matter when and how much protein to take after workout as PS last about 48 hours

Comment

Originally posted by boricuarage79 View Post
              I did.. but let's not forget about carbs post workout to spike insulin for stimulating protein synthesis...
              ^ Bro science.

There is a big zero carb movement right now led by a doctor Shawn Baker, MD where they eat only meat. Nothing else just meat. No carbs, no sauces, nothing but meat for months, even years. Most seem to have good bloodwork and good results in the gym.

https://www.reddit.com/r/zerocarb/

Also, a lot of the Keto/Fasting guys train fasted and don't consume anything post workout. These guys eat moderate to low protein and high fat. Here is the guy behind this train of thought, Dom D'agostino:

https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...jake-hartz.jpg

Comment

Lol @ reddit

Comment

I get what you are saying and we can always argue the facts, but IMO you could look better and fuller with carbs...

Yea I heard people on keto fill better and more energetic, but it takes like days or week to get to ketones...

I rather have carbs in my diet.. always!

Comment

Originally posted by M00chie69 View Post
                    ^ Bro science.

There is a big zero carb movement right now led by a doctor Shawn Baker, MD where they eat only meat. Nothing else just meat. No carbs, no sauces, nothing but meat for months, even years. Most seem to have good bloodwork and good results in the gym.

https://www.reddit.com/r/zerocarb/

Also, a lot of the Keto/Fasting guys train fasted and don't consume anything post workout. These guys eat moderate to low protein and high fat. Here is the guy behind this train of thought, Dom D'agostino:

https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...jake-hartz.jpg
                    that's all well and good for getting lean. but i promise you nobody ever got jacked on no carbs. any of these guys that you can point out as being jacked and on no carbs did not get that way on no carbs. they got jacked the traditional way and then switched over to no carbs to pull fat off and then claim "owe i follow the no carb routine"...

like i said to rado a few weeks ago. there is a reason high level athletes consome tons of carbs. what do you think Phelps records would look like if he had been on keto during those events? the examples go on and on from swimmers, to power lifters, to bodybuilders. all tons of carbs.

can people look great on no carbs? absolutely. would they look bigger, fuller, and perform better in the gym with carbs.. absolutely. the human body performs better on carbs. you dont see nfl players coming off the field eating bacon and peanut butter for fuel. you seem them drinking Gatorade by the gallons.

again, i'm not saying you can't find athletes or bodybuilders that look great on keto. you can. but they did not get to that level following keto. you need carbs to put on real size. especially with AAS and GH. carbs interacts directly with hormones in a way that fat cannot match for growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                      that's all well and good for getting lean. but i promise you nobody ever got jacked on no carbs. any of these guys that you can point out as being jacked and on no carbs did not get that way on no carbs. they got jacked the traditional way and then switched over to no carbs to pull fat off and then claim "owe i follow the no carb routine"...

like i said to rado a few weeks ago. there is a reason high level athletes consome tons of carbs. what do you think Phelps records would look like if he had been on keto during those events? the examples go on and on from swimmers, to power lifters, to bodybuilders. all tons of carbs.

can people look great on no carbs? absolutely. would they look bigger, fuller, and perform better in the gym with carbs.. absolutely. the human body performs better on carbs. you dont see nfl players coming off the field eating bacon and peanut butter for fuel. you seem them drinking Gatorade by the gallons.

again, i'm not saying you can't find athletes or bodybuilders that look great on keto. you can. but they did not get to that level following keto. you need carbs to put on real size. especially with AAS and GH. carbs interacts directly with hormones in a way that fat cannot match for growth.
                      Bouncer I don’t believe this to be correct. There are many Keto athletes. The guy in the photo I posted, Dom D. stays Keto pretty much year round and he’s more jacked than just about anyone I’ve see pics of on this board. Also look at Shawn Baker MD, he’s eaten on meat the past 10 months and documented his journey. The guy is big with quite a bit of muscle.

The body can perform and grow on ketones just the way it does glucose if you train it to. The science is changing on this and there are plenty of examples out there.

Comment

Originally posted by M00chie69 View Post
                        Bouncer I don’t believe this to be correct. There are many Keto athletes. The guy in the photo I posted, Dom D. stays Keto pretty much year round and he’s more jacked than just about anyone I’ve see pics of on this board. Also look at Shawn Baker MD, he’s eaten on meat the past 10 months and documented his journey. The guy is big with quite a bit of muscle.

The body can perform and grow on ketones just the way it does glucose if you train it to. The science is changing on this and there are plenty of examples out there.
                        You didn't listen to what I said. The guy your talking about did not build his mass on keto. He switched to keto once the mass was built. You don't get jacked on keto. You refine and lean out on keto.

Likewise, performance is never optimal on keto. Olympic records were smashed (Phelps and Bolt) on lbs of pasta. NFL player's do not refuel during a game on peanut butter and bacon. There is a reason for this. Riders of the tour de France do not ride along sucking down olive oil. Again there is a reason for this.

Carbs fuel elite athletes, elite strong men (look up Brian Shaw Diet), and all top IFBB pros (especially with GH and slin).

Comment

by the way, i'm not saying keto is worthless or doesn't work. not saying that at all. i'm disputing the argument that some people claim when it comes to performance, muscle gains, and strength.

the human body/brain needs glucose. when you are keto the body converts ketones into glucose for fuel. so instead of giving your body a direct source of fuel, you are making it take 1 extra step of conversion.

carbs are absolutely needed for maximum performance no matter if it's strength athletes, speed athletes, endurance athletes, or bodybuilders. that's not to say keto does not work, just that it's not optimal.

Comment

You didn't listen to what I said. The guy your talking about did not build his mass on keto. He switched to keto once the mass was built. You don't get jacked on keto. You refine and lean out on keto.

Likewise, performance is never optimal on keto. Olympic records were smashed (Phelps and Bolt) on lbs of pasta. NFL player's do not refuel during a game on peanut butter and bacon. There is a reason for this. Riders of the tour de France do not ride along sucking down olive oil. Again there is a reason for this.

Carbs fuel elite athletes, elite strong men (look up Brian Shaw Diet), and all top IFBB pros (especially with GH and slin).
                            Dom D'Augustino the guy I posted a photo of is on Keto year round. Why do you say he didn't build his mass while on Keto? Do you know something about him that I don't? If so please post what you are talking about. Or are you just making an assumption?

Do you know why Phelps and Bolt ate tons of carbs? Because that's what the science said to do at the time and nobody challenged it. They were just doing what the science said. Just like some people around here take an insulin boosting shake right after they work out. They believe that old science to be true.

A shift is happening. There are many endurance athletes and triathletes doing Keto 100%. Here is an article from Science Daily regarding this:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1117091234.htm

Comment

by the way, i'm not saying keto is worthless or doesn't work. not saying that at all. i'm disputing the argument that some people claim when it comes to performance, muscle gains, and strength.

the human body/brain needs glucose. when you are keto the body converts ketones into glucose for fuel. so instead of giving your body a direct source of fuel, you are making it take 1 extra step of conversion.

carbs are absolutely needed for maximum performance no matter if it's strength athletes, speed athletes, endurance athletes, or bodybuilders. that's not to say keto does not work, just that it's not optimal.
                              What you are saying here is not fact.

The body/brain DOES NOT need glucose. The Brain actually runs very efficiently on ketones. There is plenty of data on this, what you are saying outdated. You are repeating things from the early mid 2000's.

I understand the good keto can do to lean out after going heavy carb or cycling keto/carbs like you are saying, but if you go on it 100% things change, your body adapts and you can build mass and have excellent endurance on Keto.
                              Last edited by Keiser; 11-23-17, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X