What's your take on Sodium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your take on Sodium?

I've been experimenting a little with sodium in the diet. I notice that when I load up on sodium for a day or two my strength in the gym is through the roof. Take bench for instance, there has been up to a 40-50lb increase on high sodium days. I am also increasing carbs on these days but I feel like the sodium is more responsible for the strength increase due to the extra water in the muscle.

As far as health goes, sodium has been said to cause higher blood pressure which is a risk for heart disease (apparently). There is an article here that claims that isn't necessarily true.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...r-day#section6

Salt is not an enemy. Funny you mentioned this though.

Many times there have been instances where I crave salt, Gatorade, salt on my food after the spices it was made with, salt on everything. When I do feel that way, I do feel more pumped, but that's because of all the salt pouring into my veins, not to mention they pop out even more.

But I've never had anything other than feeling super pumped

Comment

Originally posted by rado View Post
      Salt is not an enemy. Funny you mentioned this though.

Many times there have been instances where I crave salt, Gatorade, salt on my food after the spices it was made with, salt on everything. When I do feel that way, I do feel more pumped, but that's because of all the salt pouring into my veins, not to mention they pop out even more.

But I've never had anything other than feeling super pumped
      The pumped feeling/fullness would be due to all the water being pulled into the muscle from the sodium.

Comment

Sodium is obviously needed for general health. Too little isn't healthy and too much isn't healthy. Water intake and how much you drink also has to be factored in. The more you sweat and drink the more sodium you need.

But yea, if you eat something with a ton of sodium you get a major pump within hours.

if you are cramping up a lot in the gym (i used to all the time) it's usually sodium/water intake related. people on the forums usually recommend potassium because they heard it or read it somewhere. now i'm not saying potassium doesn't help, what I'm saying is that potassium usually isn't what is going to fix the issue. it's almost always a salt/water issue. since i have increase my salt and water intake i haven't cramped up a single time. obviously if for some reason you have very low potassium that could also be an issue.

Sent from my Moto G6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
          The pumped feeling/fullness would be due to all the water being pulled into the muscle from the sodium.
          you didn't like his story? :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
            you didn't like his story? :rofl:
            Lol i'm not sure what you are saying here, that I give out likes to casually or that his post was shit.

Comment

Originally posted by redback View Post
              Lol i'm not sure what you are saying here, that I give out likes to casually or that his post was shit.
              he states the most obvious shit and you responded with an obvious no shit response.. "yea you get a pump from salt".

example.

Rado: "when i go out in the sun my skin gets darker.."

redback: "yea the sun tans your skin.."

good convo.

:lmao:

Comment

Hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Wilson
                  Medical experts agree that too much salt in your diet is bad for cardiac health. Is it known whether the sodium ion or the chloride ion is doing the damage or is it not possible to alter their concentrations independently?
                  How much is too much and what are they using as indicators for cardiac risk? High blood pressure? BP is only affected by 1 or 2 points max when reducing sodium. What other indicators are they using?

Salt is made up of sodium chloride which is only 40$ sodium and 60% chloride so there is a difference between recommended sodium and recommended salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Wilson
                    In our body, muscles are incredibly dependent on the presence of the Na+ ion to operate. We have very special proteins in our cells that push sodium ions around to keep the right amount in the cell at all times

However, when you have too many sodium ions outside the cell (in our blood), it becomes too difficult for the protein to push the sodium back out of the cell.

Sodium is used by the muscle cells to contract, and when there is too much sodium inside the muscle cell, it winds up contracting and not being able to relax.

Our body doesn’t use the Cl- ion for much, except to balance charges. If we did we’d have to expel it some way. We consume chloride and excrete just about the same amount, and it takes a considerable amount of energy to oxidize chloride back to chlorine.

If we did oxidize chloride, we would breathe our chlorine gas! And if we reacted it with biomolocules, we would excrete chloroorganic molecules, which are really dangerous (similar to CFCs, and we would make things like Trichloromethane—more commonly known as chloroform).

The chloride ion mostly just sits there and hangs around our body to keep charges balanced, but we do a lot of work with Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, and Iron ions.
                    Do you understand anything that you post or do you just cut and paste shit?

Comment

Working...
                    X