Free Roam Grass Fed Beef - The Massive Difference Here In California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Roam Grass Fed Beef - The Massive Difference Here In California

So I know this is nothing new but I never really paid attention. Well I'm listening now...

I've seen first hand in California driving between Sacramento and Los Angeles and seeing the massive farms in between. The difference between roaming cows on beautiful hills eating grass and the poor cows jam packed in unbelievably bad smelling farms where they literally can't even turn around. You can smell the shit from these farms literally miles before you reach them. The free range farms however has literally no smell. The cows aren't stressed in the least, as a matter of fact they are living the fucken life in the beautiful country side.

My point of the rant... The vast difference in the quality of life and conditions between grass fed and the cows jam packed into a fence is massive. The stress, the shit, the straight up sad conditions have had an effect on me. I will no longer buy normal beef. From now on it's grass fed for me. No way those jam packed cows lifestyle and the way they are treated can lead to optimal quality meat.

I'm not sure I've ever even tried grass fed. Well that changes tonight!

Sent from my Moto G7 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
    So I know this is nothing new but I never really paid attention. Well I'm listening now...

I've seen first hand in California driving between Sacramento and Los Angeles and seeing the massive farms in between. The difference between roaming cows on beautiful hills eating grass and the poor cows jam packed in unbelievably bad smelling farms where they literally can't even turn around. You can smell the shit from these farms literally miles before you reach them. The free range farms however has literally no smell. The cows aren't stressed in the least, as a matter of fact they are living the fucken life in the beautiful country side.

My point of the rant... The vast difference in the quality of life and conditions between grass fed and the cows jam packed into a fence is massive. The stress, the shit, the straight up sad conditions have had an effect on me. I will no longer buy normal beef. From now on it's grass fed for me. No way those jam packed cows lifestyle and the way they are treated can lead to optimal quality meat.

I'm not sure I've ever even tried grass fed. Well that changes tonight!

Glad u joined the clan

[email protected]

pct-shop.com

Comment

so we had burgers last night. i overcooked the beef a bit because it cooked faster then I'm used to for beef. even with them overcooked there was a definite difference in taste. they had a richer iron like taste. that doesn't exactly sound like an improvement but I mean it in a good way. the difference isn't massive but it's there.

fuck now, i'm thinking about all the chicken I eat. i bet the conditions of the birds is probably the same or worse then the cows.

Comment

Factory farming is absolutely terrible conditions for the animals. Plus, the close proximity of the animals and the filthy conditions means that disease outbreaks can spread rapidly. Which is why factory farmed animals have to be pumped full of antibiotics.

But just from moral reasons, leave alone the health reasons, you should definitely pick pasture-raised animals. I am not the expert on this, but I think that even among "free range" or pasture-raised, there are differences in whether the animals really roam free, or if they are merely let out for a couple of hours a day or whatever. I don't think the labeling rules are are strict as they need to be. So, you might want to research this a bit to ensure that the particular meat you purchase is indeed ethically raised to the extent possible.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Grass fed all day

Comment

Originally posted by rado View Post
            Grass fed all day
            Grass-fed is only half the story. The animals can be grass fed and still be cooped in a pen all day. You want to look for farms that allow their animals to roam around. You'll need to do a bit of homework to pick the right source that raises their animals ethically. That goes for poultry too.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
              Grass-fed is only half the story. The animals can be grass fed and still be cooped in a pen all day. You want to look for farms that allow their animals to roam around. You'll need to do a bit of homework to pick the right source that raises their animals ethically. That goes for poultry too.

Butcherbox is one of the places we use.

New England territory has tons of great farms; getting grass fed is not an issue here bro.

But I can tell you that there's a huge difference in taste

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't like the taste of grass fed myself.

Comment

i would assume "free roam" means exactly that right? they are free to roam.

but yea the beef I had was just grass fed, didn't say free roam on it.

there has to be a list of the good beef and chicken companies that actually do free roam.

Comment

Yep, free roam or free range means what it sounds like. You want to to look for that. I think there's some version of that for poultry too. I think the problem is that the labeling rules are not very strict, so you probably want to do some research. I obviously don't have first hand knowledge but I'll see if I can find anything.
                    Last edited by Scrumhalf; 03-26-19, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Yep, free roam or free range means what it sounds like. You want to to look for that. I think there's some version of that for poultry too. I think the problem is that the labeling rules are not very strict, so you probably want to do some research. I obviously don't have first hand knowledge but I'll see if I can find anything.
                      That's the downside of our favorite store scrum. WinCo doesn't have a ton of options. I may have to go to a Safeway which has 20 options of everything but is twice the price.

Comment

Yeah, you've got to pay a bit extra for the good stuff. Think of what a nice life that steer must have had before it died for you! :)

By the way, I did a Google search for "free range beef Sacramento area" and it came up with a bunch of farms close to you. Check them out.

Also check out this link:

EatWild - California

I don't really buy much produce at Winco. I restrict it to other packaged groceries and things like toothpaste and stuff. The produce quality is much better at a place like Safeway/Vons or Kroger/FredMeyer/Ralphs.

Comment

Yeah, you've got to pay a bit extra for the good stuff. Think of what a nice life that steer must have had before it died for you! :)

By the way, I did a Google search for "free range beef Sacramento area" and it came up with a bunch of farms close to you. Check them out.

Also check out this link:

EatWild - California

I don't really buy much produce at Winco. I restrict it to other packaged groceries and things like toothpaste and stuff. The produce quality is much better at a place like Safeway/Vons or Kroger/FredMeyer/Ralphs.
                          yea i just like to get it all done in 1 place. i used to just do costco. but my girl likes all kinds of hispanic shit costco doesn't have but winco does. so since i can get all my stuff from winco and she can get all her shit at winco i decided costco wasn't worth the membership cost anymore and now we are 100% winco. occasionaly if we are making something special or holidays where we need some specific brand or whatever we will do safeway.

Comment

Working...
                          X