You need Food, not more supplements.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You need Food, not more supplements.

I regularly get asked what supplements to take if gaining muscle is the goal. The truth is, supplementation is one of the last things you should be thinking about if you want to gain muscle. Compared to effective training and nutrition, even the most scientifically validated supplements have a minimal effect on your progress [1].
    -
    With that said, if your diet does not provide sufficient amounts of certain nutrients that are beneficial for muscle growth, supplementation can help. As you can see if you swipe left, only a few supplements are in most people effective for *slightly* increasing muscle growth.
    -
    First, we have the most obvious one, whey protein. If you are not able to consume close to 1.6g/kg body weight of protein per day of protein, supplementing with whey protein can help you gain more muscle [2].
    -
    Then we have 3 ergogenic (performance-enhancing) supplements. Supplementing with creatine, caffeine, and citrulline likely will help most people perform better in the gym [3-5]. Better performance ultimately leads to greater training adaptations.
    -
    Again, none of these supplements are necessary to get great results. As a general recommendation, use supplements whenever necessary to fill a "gap" in your diet, but try to spend most of your energy on improving your training and nutrition.
    -
    References:
    1. Evidence-based recommendations for natural bodybuilding contest preparation: nutrition and supplementation
    2. A systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression of the effect of protein supplementation on resistance training-induced gains in muscle mass and strength in healthy adults | British Journal of Sports Medicine
    3. International society of sports nutrition position stand: caffeine and performance | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text
    4. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: creatine supplementation and exercise | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text
    5. Citrulline malate enhances athletic anaerobic performance and relieves muscle soreness. - PubMed - NCBI

yup. supps for some reason are exciting to noobs. regular ole food just isn't exciting. but boring ole food is exactly what the body is designed perfectly to digest.

if you were forced to pick 1 protein source to have for the rest of your life and your 2 options were unlimited amounts of chicken breast or unlimited amounts of protein powder i think the answers pretty obvious which one would be the better common sense pick. but of course, common sense is not something noobs tend to have. supps are just that, they are designed to supplement your diet. to fill in the gaps. the foundation of the diet should always be real food.

Comment

Adding real foods to my diet is where I have made the best improvements to my physique.

Comment

you eat rocks derek?

Comment

Originally posted by domin8 View Post
          you eat rocks derek?
          cant tell if the fucken guy is a human or a bot

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post

cant tell if the fucken guy is a human or a bot
            me neither. either a bot, a foreigner trying to speak english and clearly failing, or just very slow

Comment

me neither. either a bot, a foreigner trying to speak english and clearly failing, or just very slow
              Three S's
              simple slow stupid

Comment

you eat rocks derek?
                That would make for tough bowel movements...

Comment

Originally posted by zillagraybeard

WTF are you even talking about????
                  EXACTLY.... he's gotta be a bot or a spammer...

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Wilson
                    Yes, real foods are always rocks!
                    One time I thought I ate a potato but it was really a rock.

Comment

LMAO now thats funny!!

Comment

Personally, I think it's better to get nutrients specifically protein from food rather than from supplements. Studies show that taking supplements may lead to an increased level of total nutrient intake which can be detrimental to our health. Supplements should not replace a complete meal. Therefore, it is best to talk to your healthcare provider before taking any supplements.

Comment

Real Food is always better.

Comment

Agree 100%. I've always liked, and never had a problem eating. At anytime, really. But, I was a noob way back in the day and fell into that supplement....I'll call, rut. The only 2 things I know that work are a good protein powder and creatine. Other than those, it's chicken, red meat, eggs, milk, occasional Whopper, 5 Guys, Olive Garden... haha... cheat meals are important too.

Comment

This is spot on.

Comment

Working...
                              X