Picked Up Some "Beyond Meat" At The Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked Up Some "Beyond Meat" At The Store

Anyone that follows the stock market knows this company has been on fire the last month up 600% at one point.

Anyway this stuff is vegetarian but it's not soy. It's also not low call or meant to be a " health food". It just meant for people who want a burger or a sausage but don't like the idea of an animal being killed for it.

Anyway, after watching CNBC people every morning for months talk about how different this stuff is compared to the traditional veggie burger crap that has been available for years I decided to pick some up. Apparently they nailed, the taste, texture, smell, and "mouth feel". We'll see. I'll give it a try the next few days.

Obviously this isn't made for bodybuilder type diets as it's not a complete protein.

Scrum I'm sure you've heard the craze surrounding this stuff. Any thoughts on this? There is some controversy over how they achieve the final product with certain chemical/manufacturing process.

looks like garbage.. maltodextrin and a bunch of shit that says acid... i bet vegans crave this stuff thinkknig its healthy without lookin at he labels

Comment

yea definitely not a "health food" that's for sure. it's aimed at so called vegans who don't wanna miss out on the taste of a good burger etc..

Comment

I've tried the Beyond Meat brand. It has a beef crumbles product that I like to add to add to sauteed veggies and taco seasoning to make a pretty good low fat filling to go for tacos and burritos. Add some guacamole and fat free sour cream and it actually comes out pretty good.

What's the problem with maltodextrin? I looked at the ingredient list and I don't see anything super offensive. Many of the ingredients are there are giving the product firmness, as regular meat would have a lot of tissue that gives it consistency that the pea protein doesn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
          I've tried the Beyond Meat brand. It has a beef crumbles product that I like to add to add to sauteed veggies and taco seasoning to make a pretty good low fat filling to go for tacos and burritos. Add some guacamole and fat free sour cream and it actually comes out pretty good.

What's the problem with maltodextrin? I looked at the ingredient list and I don't see anything super offensive. Many of the ingredients are there are giving the product firmness, as regular meat would have a lot of tissue that gives it consistency that the pea protein doesn't have.
          https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/06/2...fake-meat.html

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post

I just think anything that tries to mimic meat is not good for you cause of the chemicals.. nothing wrong with malto, but other Ingredients seem shady. Not that I'm such an expert on them.
            so beef crumbs is non vegan?

Comment

Pretty much all of those ingredients are there to give consistency to the product. It's pretty standard in vegan food products. For example, if you are baking a cake or making a dish that requires eggs, you will need to have some stuff to hold the cake together and not fall apart, which is what the proteins in the egg do. Same for gluten-free goods - the gluten in the food actually binds the ingredients together and gives the bread, for example, the chewiness, but if you try to make bread from rice flour or tapioca flour or whatever, it just does not have that texture unless you add some of the other stuff in. I haven't watched the video - will watch later.

Frankly, nothing in the label that Bouncer posted makes me worried. These are pretty common natural ingredients. I would be more concerned about antibiotics in the meat and pesticides, etc.

Comment

The link I posted scrum talks about some concerns in the manufacturing process.

It may just be bs concerns raised by groups that have wealth to lose if beyond meat becomes anymore of a threat.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm also happy that the new veggie stuff coming out doesn't contain soy. That shit is a plague turning men into sissys in mass.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

This was a HOT stock for a few weeks. A few people I know made a small fortune from it. Looks like its starting to stable off now.

Comment

I've seen articles point out the two concerning parts of products like Beyond Meat - the inclusion of sodium and coconut oil. Some also say it is not any healthier than red meat. But I am interested in trying it even just once to judge the taste alone.

Comment

tried the beyond meat sausage on the grill yesterday. terrible. nothing like real meat. no idea where the hype is coming from. had an odd sweet aroma and taste a bit like oatmeal mixed with fake meat flavor. terrible.

Comment

Working...
                        X