X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Approach to Post-Workout Nutrition

A New Approach to Post-Workout Nutrition

We have long been taught to believe that there was one way to eat after a workout for maximum recovery and growth; a shake consisting of whey protein, along with a hefty dose of fast absorbing, insulin-spiking carbohydrates, such as dextrose and/or maltodextrin.

A closer look at these compounds and their effect on the body reveals to us the following;

- Whey is a complete form of protein derived from milk, extensively used in the supplement industry and by fitness enthusiasts. It absorbs fast and increases amino acid levels in the blood a few minutes after ingestion.

- Maltodextrin is a complex carbohydrate [or glucose polymer] derived from corn starch. Despite its structure, it is absorbed extremely fast in the bloodstream.

- Dextrose [or glucose] is the fundamental carbohydrate molecule, i.e. the end result of complex carbohydrate breakdown. When ingested, it goes directly into the bloodstream and, like maltodextrin, creates a significant insulin response.

Another point to note is that maltodextrin and dextrose are extremely cheap ingredients, and hence very appreciated by supplement companies, which have been using them as the main carbohydrate source in their meal replacement powders and creatine formulae, thus creating big profit margins on behalf of athletes' health.

When dextrose, maltodextrin, and all other refined carbohydrates (white bread, donuts, bagels, soda etc.) enter the system, blood glucose levels are increased at a fast rate, reaching a high peak and putting the body in hyperglycemia mode. What happens next is an equally strong insulin response from the pancreas, to bring blood sugar back to normal.

At first glance, this combination has merit as far as bodybuilding goes; the sugar rush, high insulin levels, and almost ready-to-use protein source, all contribute to ending the stress and trauma the body has been going through during the workout. Insulin is indeed one of the system's most anabolic hormone [to muscle and adipose tissue] and the sugar can be used to replenish glycogen stores, thus switching the body from catabolic to anabolic mode, where recovery and growth can start taking place.

But looking further down into this process, we can see that there might be a better way to gaining lean body mass. The carbohydrates we ingest cannot stay in the bloodstream for long, otherwise we'd die of prolonged hyperglycemia. They have two different pathways;

1. They are directed by insulin to muscle tissue, and stored in the form of glycogen to fuel the muscles, assisting the recovery process, and give them the fullness we all seek.

2. They are directed by insulin to fat tissue, and stored as adipose in the cells, making the waist bigger and the chest "flabbier."

In most cases, it is a combination of both, depending on the amount ingested, the type of carbohydrate, as well as the system's sensitivity to insulin.

Eating refined carbohydrates day-in and day-out reduces the sensitivity of the insulin receptors in the muscles, just like a continuous use of stimulants such as caffeine, ephedrine etc. As time goes by, you need bigger quantities of it in order to feel a difference.

In the case of insulin sensitivity reduction due to frequent ingestion of high glycemic carbohydrates, the pancreas would be required to pump out more and more insulin in order to lower blood glucose. This translates into a higher ratio of glucose being fed to adipose tissue rather than muscle glycogen. In other words, being less insulin sensitive promotes higher fat gain and lower rate of muscle building.

In the case of sedentary people eating a diet comprised of processed foods, saturated fats and sugar, this lowering insulin sensitivity can lead to type-2 diabetes and obesity.

By taking a different route than the whey and dextrose/maltodextrin approach to post-workout nutrition based on the concept of insulin management, we can ultimately improve the muscle building process over time.

An alternative source of carbohydrate would be one that is unrefined, slightly fibrous, and nutrient-dense. Examples would be natural oatmeal, sweet potato, wild rice etc.

When ingested, these foods take longer to break down due to their complex structure, fiber content, and wholeness. Insulin is increased at a slower rate, sugar levels remain stable, without skyrocketing then dropping, body stays in anabolic mode longer due to absence of insulin spike, muscle glycogen is replenished, and most of all, there is a far smaller risk of nutrient spillover.

This translates into:

- A higher ratio of muscle-to-fat being built

- Absence of blood glucose crash after insulin is secreted, and hence absence of a catabolic period

- Reduced risk of carbohydrate spillover and hence fat gain

- Better insulin sensitivity in the long run

- Better satiety from eating a whole meal rather than a shake that is gulped down in a few seconds

- Better overall health

- Improved cholesterol levels and ratio (essential for AAS users)

An example of such a post-workout feeding could comprise;

- Oatmeal (quantity dependent on goal - ~110g dry weight would be a good start) or sweet potato

- Egg whites (7 to 10) or another source of low fat animal protein

- Protein powder (could be mixed in the oats [whey, or a blend of whey, casein, and egg])

It is preferable to avoid eating fat with this meal, as a combination of insulin and fat is is not ideal as far as nutrient partitioning is concerned.

The inclusion of slower digesting protein instead of a whey-only approach serves at keeping a steady amount of amino acid levels in the blood after training. Whey digests at such a fast rate that a certain portion of it might turn into glucose/lipid providing a source of energy to the body instead of being used as a building block for tissue repair.

A meal should be eaten 1.5 to 2.5 hours later to keep the recovery process going.

Finally, it is important to note that lifting weights does not deplete glycogen stores like cardiovascular exercise does; having a well-structured nutrition plan for the whole day is more important than putting all one's focus on post-workout nutrition alone.
    Last edited by Bouncer; 07-28-08, 09:43 AM.

I posted this article not necessarily because i agree with it but because i found it interesting and wanted to hear what you guys think.

Comment

This is sometihng I've been saying and I've been practicing for months now. Check my old posts if you don't believe me. Good Article, IMO.

Comment

This is also mostly how I approach post work out nutrition. I take this approach because I always try to prevent insulin spikes due to an extremely high incidence of adult onset diabeties on my mothers side. My blood work usually shows a slight insensitivity to insulin. Even on a very low carb diet. 5 days a week the only carbs I get are oatmeal at workout time.

Comment

not very convenient to make, compared to whey and maltidex but I'm sure its true, I think most people to the PWS and then go home and eat chicken and brown rice

Comment

Originally posted by Mr incredible View Post
            I think most people to the PWS and then go home and eat chicken and brown rice
            Yep. It seems like you are getting the best of the both worlds if you are taking in your PWO shake and then a solid meal 30 mins after.

Comment

Pretty sure I posted something along these lines about two years ago when recommending oats (other low GI carbs) PWO but got nailed to the wall for it - I had one or two people back me up (Glowalla comes to mind) but most folks shunned it as a way to make lean gains with a cleaner PWO shake...

Gonna take me quite a while to find the thread though - maybe it will ring a bell for someone else better at this....

Comment

Originally posted by toolwtf View Post
                Check my old posts if you don't believe me.

lol, that sounded bratty :P

Comment

uhh.....

what?

It is preferable to avoid eating fat with this meal, as a combination of insulin and fat is is not ideal as far as nutrient partitioning is concerned.

So our goal is regulation of insulin, and managing glycogenic balance inside the muscles, yet we exclude the number 1 factor in slowing the metabolic process of carbs.... FAT!

That makes no sense what so ever!

I hardly call call oatmeal, wild rice, and sweet potatoes champions of insulin regulation either(the one exception would be steel cut oats due to the extremely high fiber content). So why add these in as well?

If insulin regulation is your goal, your much better off with an apple, 3 oz of turkey or chicken, and an handful of almonds. (maybe a little whey if your a protein dumping advocate)

And he/she is flat out wrong on these benefits:

- Absence of blood glucose crash after insulin is secreted, and hence absence of a catabolic period

- Reduced risk of carbohydrate spillover and hence fat gain

- Better insulin sensitivity in the long run

- Better satiety from eating a whole meal rather than a shake that is gulped down in a few seconds

- Better overall health

- Improved cholesterol levels and ratio (essential for AAS users)

How the hell can you make these claims based on the food selections presented? This isnt spinach, chicken and, olive oil (3 things that will do all of the above when eaten together)

FInally...
                  Glycogen IS the primary vehicle for ATP in standard bodybuilding splits. In fact it is arguably, the only energy system used while lifting your weights at 8-12 reps, so how is he claiming otherwise.

Where did you find this article?
                  Last edited by Nekrawulf; 08-03-08, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Bump to see if anyone else has anything to say on the topic...

Comment

Working...
                    X