Carb Cycling by Tim Wescott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cycling by Tim Wescott

I use this dieting strategy while training for contests with great results.I recommend it to anyone who is looking to lose excess bodyfat.That includes just about all of us here!

I think carb-cycling is the best way to drop bodyfat while still maintaining a decent energy level.I would advocate doing 3 low carb days followed by two slightly higher days.

A good starting point is to use 1-1.5 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight as your highest carb intake day of the week.So if a person weighed 200 pounds they would ingest 200 grams of carbs on their highest carb day!

Here is the way that I break it down when I`m trying to lean out and drop excess bodyfat.

Day-1)150 gms.
    Dat-2)100 gms.
    Day-3) 50 gms.
    Day-4)125 gms.
    Day-5)200 gms.

I just keep repeating this cycle as I go along through my diet.Of course your nutrition should be spot -on and you should eat "clean" foods only!!

Keeping protein high while carb-cycling is imperative, as this will help to ensure that you retain hard-earned muscle tissue.I would also recommend 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight for most people.

Some people like to arrange this cycle so that their higher carb days fall on the days of their most demanding workout.This is fine, but I do not think it`s necessary.Lower carbs, on a hard training day, will ensure that you deplete glucose and glycogen stores, thus burning fat as fuel.
    For best results, do not go below 50 grams of carbs.
    The whole idea is to keep them low throughout the entire diet. The only exception to this rule is if you hit a fat burning plateau.
    When this happens ,as it eventually will ,drop to zero carbs for three days, to kind of jumpstart the metabolism again.
    The body does not want to lose weight .We are trying to force it to go against it`s own will so to speak.It will eventually adjust to this plan, or any other diet over time, and then you have to get the metabolism back into fat burning mode to combat the body`s resistance.
    Zero carbs for 3 days accomplishes this task quite well.Do not stay at zero carbs for any longer than the recommended 3 days.

You burn fat very efficiently on the lower carb days, while still having enough energy to train,and on the higher carb days, you are replenishing glucose and glycogen stores for repair and fuel storage, for future training sessions.

i am just curious how long people carb cycle before going to a different kind of diet...for 6 weeks?months? a year?

Comment

I am doing Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 right now and he recommends a maximum of 6-8 weeks before taking a couple of weeks off.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
        I am doing Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 right now and he recommends a maximum of 6-8 weeks before taking a couple of weeks off.
        is it the same basic principle of this outline?and do you like it?

Comment

I like it a lot. The depletion days are hell but I am definitely losing BF steadily.

You basically do 3.5 days of depletion, 1.5 refeed days and 2 days of maintenance. The good thing is that Lyle really explains exactly and in great detail what is going on inside your body and why carb cycling works. The whole program was worth it just for the learning.

Comment

Scrum- how low does the carbs go in the diet? Does it go as low as 50g that tim wescott prescribes or is there major differences?Also i was wondering how you get enough cals with such low carbs?Sorry to keep asking questions,im just really interested in this method and i was hoping for first hand experience rather than various articles on the internet..your responses are much appreciated

Comment

Basically, Lyle recommends cutting the total calories to 50% of maintenance and then having carbs be no more than 20% of those calories. For most people, this may come to 60-70g, but Lyle also recommends dropping to 50g if possible. I usually try to stay under 50g. Proteins should be 1.5g per lb of LBM and good fats make up the rest.

I highly recommend Lyle's book. Even if you don't do the UD2.0 diet, the book is a great read, as it explains in great detail all the stuff that is happening in your body with enzymes, receptors, etc.
              Last edited by Scrumhalf; 04-22-09, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I will have been on my diet for appx. 6 weeks before the end.

Comment

Working...
                X