Reduce rice calories by 50%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduce rice calories by 50%

Claims of using coconut oil while cooking raw rice will reduce calories by 50%.

Thoughts?

Scientists discover a simple way to cook rice that could halve the calories - ScienceAlert

Interesting! Would like to see another lab replicate the results, but it sounds fascinating and plausible.

Comment

I like my rice high calorie. :grin:

Comment

You don't say? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf View Post
          You don't say? :D
          What are you trying to say scrum? :grin:

You need go over and post some pix on my new pictures thread. That 6D is collecting dust I tell you. :p

Comment

I mean seriously? if I have to care about the Cals in rice, then perhaps I should keep rice off the diet. It amazes me how much we have to fuck with food in order to make it "right, healthy, clean, etc..." Let food just be; FOOD. It's bothersome to know that us as human beings have gotten so complacent with ourselves. :nono:

Comment

You really just made a big deal out of nothing.

Comment

Really, Rado? An interesting study on carb calories that is being discussed in the Nutrition section is "no big deal?" I mean, what else should we be discussing here?

Comment

Originally posted by blm View Post
                  You really just made a big deal out of nothing.
                  Inflection is hard to tell,via the net....My pessimism kicked in.

Comment

How does it work in easy terms? The oil cooks off a layer of starch?

Comment

The oil interacts with the carbohydrate molecules during the cooking, cooling and reheating process which changes it into a differently digested starch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                        How does it work in easy terms? The oil cooks off a layer of starch?

They are saying it basically changes the composition of the starch. The part that I don't like is that the cool down process is part of the change. I don't like to eat reheated rice nearly as much as fresh cooked.

Comment

And the fat from the oil completely disappears? It's not absorbed at all by the rice?

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. However, if it is just a spoonful for a pot of rice, you should be able to account for that in your macros, even if you assume all of it is absorbed by the rice.

Comment

It's only a teaspoon for half a cup of rice. It doesn't explain where the resulting fat comes from real well - like are we accounting for the fat in the coconut oil and not half the calories in the rice OR does the fat from the oil disappear in the process of the starch composition change and the cooling process.

Comment

Working...
                              X