Start Eating More Tomatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start Eating More Tomatoes

Tomaytoes, tomahtoes, whatever you prefer to call them, are more than a key to great flavor. They're also packed with a wide array of nutrients that are great for your skin and — believe it or not — can make you look younger.

Feeling a little skeptical, we spoke to Dr. Karin Hermoni, Car-O-Blend Category Manager at Lycored, to get the full scoop. "Tomatoes contain high levels of the plant pigments called carotenoids, such as lycopene, that gives tomatoes its red color and is known for its many health benefits, as well as phytoene and phytofluene that absorb light in the UV range," she tells InStyle. "When we eat these ingredients we are actually getting inside-out protection that helps our skin all year round."

While the shiny red fruit should never replace your topical sunscreen methods, a tomato-rich diet can help to prevent sun damage and painful sunburns on a day you forgot to lather up. Plus, the expert also notes that "tomato lycopene can reduce the level of proteins involved in skin aging," helping to keep fine lines and wrinkles from showing up on your complexion.

Though the best way to reap the benefits of tomatoes is to actually eat them (Hermoni suggests cooking them with a bit of oil), there are a number of products, including Eminence Tomato Lycopene Masque ($48) and Yes to Tomatoes Blemish Clearing Facial Towelettes ($6), that boast the skin-boosting ingredient if you're not exactly a tomato lover.

I love eating slices with grounded fresh black pepper and sea salt....good stuff.

Comment

With all the local farms we have in our area fruits and vegetables are amazing over the summer months.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadd77 View Post
        With all the local farms we have in our area fruits and vegetables are amazing over the summer months.
        I'm disappointed. Thought you were a true country fella. What kinda country fella doesn't have his own garden?

Hell even I have a little citrus orange tree on my balcony and I may do a tomato plant soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
          I'm disappointed. Thought you were a true country fella. What kinda country fella doesn't have his own garden?

Hell even I have a little citrus orange tree on my balcony and I may do a tomato plant soon.
          Ha! Thought about it. We have a tomato plant but that's it. Right down the road the local farmer has a stand that has everything we enjoy. I could see myself wanting to have a garden when I'm retired but my time is so limited as it is that I can't justify it.

Comment

does tomato sause lose the benefits that raw tomatoes have?

Comment

No idea bro. I'm sure cooking reduces on some level.

Comment

love the taste of a toasted tomato sandwich.

Comment

Working...
                X