Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Coffee Help With Diabetes And Fat Loss? - Lyle McDonald

By Lyle McDonald

Caffeine/coffee intake appears to have different effects when looked at in the short and long term; looking only at acute dosing studies (esp with extremely high doses of caffeine) aren’t that relevant to how people actually consume caffeine (over the long term).

In the short-term, caffeine can impact positively on a number of factors (such as delaying fatigue during exercise, increasing lipolysis, and increasing fat oxidation and caloric expenditure) but negatively on others (decreased glucose tolerance/increased insulin response, slight increase in blood pressure).

However, longer term studies suggest that habitual caffeine/coffee intake is, overall, beneficial: it decreases the risk of diabetes and may contribute to preventing weight gain Tangentially, of course, any benefit of coffee/caffeine itself is going to be more than outweighed if you fill it up with sugar, cream and other high calorie goodies.

My take on the topic: used in reasonable amounts, caffeine pretty much does nothing but help fat loss. The impact on insulin sensitivity is overstated (in my opinion) only applying to acute studies with massive doses. The known impact of caffeine on lipolysis and improving exercise performance is so well-established as to be beyond debate.

So use caffeine, just don’t go nuts with it.

If I'm not drinking coffee I'm drinking green tea, so, this is good to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by AvidFisherman View Post
      If I'm not drinking coffee I'm drinking green tea, so, this is good to hear.
      That is a change that I am not even willing to contemplate. To me that like saying, "I'm not eating pizza anymore, I've substituted it with soup crackers dipped in tomato paste". Lol

Comment

I certainly get my CAFFEINE ED.

Id never think coffee would be my addiction of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
          That is a change that I am not even willing to contemplate. To me that like saying, "I'm not eating pizza anymore, I've substituted it with soup crackers dipped in tomato paste". Lol
          You may have read that wrong. He said "If" I'm not drinking coffee then I'm drinking green tea. Meaning this guy drinks a lot of coffee and if he isn't drinking coffee he's drinking green tea.

Comment

Ahh your right. Didn't see the "if".

Comment

Read this a few weeks ago, thought it might be relevant to this post.

2 Extra Cups of Coffee a Day Cuts Liver Cirrhosis Risk 44% | Natural Society

"Researchers at Southampton University (SU) in the UK conducted a meta-analysis of 9 studies covering data on 430,000 people. They found that people who drink 2 extra cups of coffee a day have a 44% decreased risk of developing liver cirrhosis, a condition associated with long-term heavy drinking that kills more than 1 million people worldwide each year. Liver cirrhosis can also be caused by hepatitis, immune disorders, and a buildup of fat in the liver, known as fatty liver disease."

Comment

Working...
              X